Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 02:04 PM

66 posts, read 161,290 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any success negotiating prices with Furniture Row? It seems they're very firm on their advertised price. Just wondering if anyone can offer any tips for this specific furniture store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 PM

116 posts, read 218,886 times
Do you negotiate at Macy's or Ethan Allen or any other furniture store?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
I don't know about negotiating at Furniture Row, but I did a successful negotiation with Americas Mattress in Grand Junction a few years ago. I found the same mattress on the internet for 1200 dollars that they had in their store for 2200 dollars. I showed them a copy of my findings and said that I'd give them a chance to match the price and get my business. Much to my surprise they accepted on the condition that I pay the sales tax. Wether or not they are willing to negotiate with you, rest assurred that the mark up certaily allows alot of room for negotiating.

Most 'consumers' are not willing to initiate a negotiation. The corporations have carried out a very successful campaign to convince-brainwash-program us that negotiation is not acceptable. Do it anyway. You've got nothing to lose. Alo be willing to shop elsewhere if they won't budge on the price. If more people are willing to start asking for a better price, and walk away if they don't get it, eventually the business will have to start negotiating.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
Do you negotiate at Macy's or Ethan Allen or any other furniture store?
Um, yeah. Many years ago for a Sofa at Macy's in San Francisco. I offered them 10 or 15% off and they took it. Also I negotiated for a sale sofa at a closing high end furniture store. The high end place was hilarious. I had looked at the sofa a week before. When inspecting it I had taken the cushions off and noticed a tissue stuffed in between the arm and the base. When I went back a week later (just before their closing date) to re-offer my low price they said, no way. That this sofa was very popular and that they had sold a ton of them. I pulled the cushion, pointed to the tissue and said this was the same one they had last week and if they didn't sell it to me at that price they probably would never sell it. Since they were closing that weekend they sold it to me and I had it in my living room for many years.

Sorry but I have no tips for that furniture store. I think you have to go to the high end places for them to negotiate because they have such high mark ups.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
You might have luck if the sales staff are commission employees. Commissioned sales associates have a bit more room to negotiate since it will come out of their commission and not the company's profit.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM

557 posts, read 810,632 times
At the very least, you can often get delivery and other misc charges waived if you're paying cash.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 AM

183 posts, read 292,369 times
If you are buying some heavy stuff that case they will give you some relief but not for a single item otherwise I have a long history of price negotiations.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1248 View Post
Has anyone had any success negotiating prices with Furniture Row? It seems they're very firm on their advertised price. Just wondering if anyone can offer any tips for this specific furniture store?
Yes.

With the exception of advertised loss leaders where they've advertised blow-out prices, I will always ask for their best pricing on stuff.

Have bought a number of items there back of the tag prices through the years.

All I can say is that it doesn't hurt to ask a furniture store for a discount or try to offer less than the tag prices. The margins in their merchandise are substantial.

Just for reference ... my wife recently bought us a solid oak captain's bed with all the storage drawers and cabinetry and huge headboard from a closing branch of Montana Furniture Galleries. USA made, decent quality craftsmanship and nicely finished, it was their floor sample for this item in perfect condition. Had an original tag on it at just under $7,000, they had it marked down to about $2,000 to move it out the door for the store closing the next month. Which my wife couldn't afford on her new bedroom furniture budget, but she liked the bed. I told her to go back to the store and offer $1,400. She did, and they came back at $1,500, including delivery and set-up. Sold! It took a crew of 3 guys to bring the frame up to our master bedroom and assemble it all, this is a huge bed frame and drawers ... after having driven 35 miles to our place. IF they had had a suitable mattress in stock, we'd have asked for that to be thrown in at a sizable discount, too ... but they didn't, so we had to shop that elsewhere.

PS: Some years ago, when I bought 5 very large solid oak pieces for a bedroom set (a huge 7 drawer dresser, armoire, 2 nightstands, and a king-size headboard/frame) at Ethan Allen, I did negotiate a substantial discount off the tag prices. It didn't hurt to ask and they were willing to accomodate me.

PPS: Awhile back, friends of our family owned a major independent furniture store just off of I-25 on the North end of Denver. They were fairly well known among "friends" for giving 30% off of their advertised or tag prices without even having to ask; even with all the advertising hoopla, the margins were still in the several hundred percent range and they would quickly offer a deal if that's what it took to get a sale. Of course, not everybody asked so they sold a lot of stuff at the full margins, too.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-19-2014 at 04:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver