Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,318 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My fiance and I are considering in moving from Mn to Co. Our we would like to move somewhere in the city with diversity. I am white she is black. Since it's our first move out of Mn we would like somewhere to settle in that is affordable our current rent here is $755 2bd and a garage.
We would like to stay in that rate we do not need a garage since the weather is not as extreme as Mn.
We would like to live somewhere safe where there is public transit and maybe a 10 minute walk to the market.
We are a quiet couple, so we would like to stay away from the rough neighborhoods.

We would appreciate any assistance,
Thanks

J&L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 01:51 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,019,214 times
Add at least $300 to your rent budget, and yes, forget about the garage.

Start with Aurora, the more south the better.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:06 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,143,074 times
Please spend some time researching Denver on the forum. You will find out that:

-- Denver is not very racially diverse. Most of the minorities in Denver and Colorado are Latino.
-- Rents and housing prices here are much higher than MN. There is not much in your price range with the amenities you want.

Good Luck.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 AM

17,732 posts, read 29,964,553 times
Padmapper.com
use the filters
increase your budget to $1200/mo
if you have a dog, then learn about specific breed bans

WHERE YOUR JOBS ARE LOCATED is the most important factor in picking a place to live.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:09 AM

3,137 posts, read 5,085,219 times
Rethink the garage. The hail storms will destroy your car. Also your price is too low for pretty much everything.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,063,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Rethink the garage. The hail storms will destroy your car. Also your price is too low for pretty much everything.
I agree that hail can destroy a car, but insurance can take care of that. I wouldn't recommend someone have a garage just to avoid hail damage. Severe hail storms are just not that common, but if it does happen, let your insurance buy you a new car.

I would however recommend that the OP have a garage, because winter weather in Colorado can sometimes be almost as extreme as Minnesota.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:54 PM

17,732 posts, read 29,964,553 times
Default The real reason for a garage

Roughly 1/3 of all crime in greater Denver is: theft of and theft from motor vehicle.
With a garage, you don't participate in this crime.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM

8,613 posts, read 14,965,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I agree that hail can destroy a car, but insurance can take care of that. I wouldn't recommend someone have a garage just to avoid hail damage. Severe hail storms are just not that common, but if it does happen, let your insurance buy you a new car.

I would however recommend that the OP have a garage, because winter weather in Colorado can sometimes be almost as extreme as Minnesota.
From a snow perspective, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Denver are about the same. Both cities get about 54" of snow on average, but that's where the similarities end. I'd say winter weather here is very rarely as extreme as Minnesota. Can it happen once, maybe twice a year? Sure. We get the occasional blizzard and below-zero temps, but our average high temps are considerably warmer. For example, the average high temp on Jan 15 is 23 in M/SP, and 44 in Denver.

I lived from birth-10 years old in a small Wisconsin town about 100 miles SE of M/SP. I remember snow staying on the ground from October/November until February/March. That simply does not happen here.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:08 PM

254 posts, read 514,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'd say winter weather here is very rarely as extreme as Minnesota. Can it happen once, maybe twice a year? Sure. We get the occasional blizzard and below-zero temps, but our average high temps are considerably warmer. For example, the average high temp on Jan 15 is 23 in M/SP, and 44 in Denver. snip....
I lived in MN a long time before moving to CO and while both have winter, the winters are completely different. Blue sums it up well, there really is no comparison. One thing to note is that yes, it gets cold in CO, but MN has what seems like 2-3 months with no sun. We don't experience that in CO, so it makes the cold seem a bit more tolerable. CO has very low humidity and that contributes to a very low mosquito population relative to MN, making summers quite pleasant relative to MN. Low humidity is very nice (buy lots of lip balm though.) We do have a lake shortage in CO though, so MN is certainly the place to be for water sports.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,071,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Please spend some time researching Denver on the forum. You will find out that:

-- Denver is not very racially diverse. Most of the minorities in Denver and Colorado are Latino.
-- Rents and housing prices here are much higher than MN. There is not much in your price range with the amenities you want.

Good Luck.
Depends on where in MN. I don't think this couple is living in the Twin Cities. The rents in MSP are about the same as here.
Minneapolis MN Apartments for Rent - 463 Rentals - Zillow

It is true there's not much in their price range with what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: