Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 665 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old single male who is relocating to the south Denver area within the next month. But first I'm looking for some local insight on horses ownership in Denver and the the state of Colorado in general. Currently I live in ohio and my horses enjoy grassy pastures. What kind of pasture and grass access should I be expecting in this area? I have seen a lot of pictures of horses standing in dry dirt lots. Are there any areas of the state that have lush green pasture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evannequs View Post
Are there any areas of the state that have lush green pasture?
Ohio gets 43 inches of rain/snow a year.
Most of Colorado gets 15 inches or fewer.
The mountains get more, but the growing season is very short.

There ain't no Ohio in Colorado.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
You wrote:

"What kind of pasture and grass access should I be expecting in this area? I have seen a lot of pictures of horses standing in dry dirt lots. Are there any areas of the state that have lush green pasture?"

We get all kinds of inquiries on this topic, from folk who move from riparian areas at lower elevations with long growing seasons. Typically, they want to know how long their acreage will allow them to graze their horses, and it's rarely more than a few weeks. Overgrazing the vegetation here is very easy to do, and one of the primary reasons why you see horses here in dirt corrals or pastures is because they have overgrazed the vegetation and killed it out.

One of the biggest differences is that in addition to the greater amount of moisture that falls each year, it arrives over a much longer time span. Colorado, OTOH, gets the bulk of it's annual moisture during the winter months in the form of snow when it's not gonna' grow lush pastures. Colorado survives by capturing the snow melt in reservoirs and metering it out as required during the growing season. Many irrigation supply reservoirs are quite low at the end of the growing season.

You should count on having to feed your horses through most of any year with hay brought in from irrigated farms. With the recent drought demand on the hay supply, you can find a lot of equine quality hay in small squares in the vicinity of $250-325/ton.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
I am a 22 year old single male who is relocating to the south Denver area within the next month. But first I'm looking for some local insight on horses ownership in Denver and the the state of Colorado in general. Currently I live in ohio and my horses enjoy grassy pastures. What kind of pasture and grass access should I be expecting in this area? I have seen a lot of pictures of horses standing in dry dirt lots. Are there any areas of the state that have lush green pasture?
I wouldn't worry about it. Horses have done just fine in the Denver Area for over 150 years. A bigger problem I think would be finding land for your horses. When I went to school in Littleton in the late 1970s, there were several large properties right next to the school with horse stables on them. Today those same properties are covered with townhouses. I think you are going to have to go quite a ways from South Denver to find a place to keep your horses.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
No.

There are plenty of horses but no lush, green anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: