Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM

9 posts, read 23,488 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Denver this summer, but before I will make this big for me decision, I would like to find out more about cost of living, job opportunities, good places to live, etc. I am only 20, so I am not planning on buying a fancy house in an expensive neighborhood, and I don't have all that much education behind my back (I've only got an associates in accounting). But I do have quite a bit of good work experience in business and bookkeeping, and I'm bilingual (Russian), so I think I'll do fine. Please don't hesitate to express your opinions, cause I will appreciate any info, advices and/or suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 01:14 AM

88 posts, read 309,442 times
Default Don't sell yourself short

You are 20, have an associates degree, you're bilingual...I'd say you are ahead of the curve. It sounds like you have a good attitude and a good work ethic, and with that you can do anything you set your mind to. Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:56 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times
Prevet Alona!
The cost of living is reasonable compared to the other big cities in the US. Where are you in Wyoming? Most WY cities, however, are still considered to be cheaper than Denver; so for you there will probably be some increase in cost of living.

You can find apartments in the $450-650 range. The rest really will be based on your life style habits etc. Defiantly come out for a visit and see things for yourself. As a University graduate myself who is now looking for work (not in accounting), I can say that I am coming across many jobs in the accounting area. I do not know, however, the detailed requirements if associates in accounting is good or if they want something higher.
Browse the jobs sites like monster, career builder as well as local newspapers to see the feel of the market.

If you have any others questions please ask or send me a direct message and I'd be happy to help.

Paka

Last edited by ColoWeb; 12-14-2007 at 02:13 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I believe Denver has a decent Russian community too. It seems to me that many Russian immigrants live in Glendale for some reason. You might be able to get a translation job on the side?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I believe Denver has a decent Russian community too. It seems to me that many Russian immigrants live in Glendale for some reason. You might be able to get a translation job on the side?
Glendale is a great russian/ eastern european communtiy. Have some good friends that live over there and even though its an older, more established area its not a bad area at all

Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM

168 posts, read 622,360 times
Default Glendale

Hi Alona -

The staff at the Glendale Library are very connected to the Russian community. I believe they could help you locate job ads and possibly help steer you to companies looking to hire.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 23,488 times
Thanks guys!
Very helpful. I think I got an idea as to where to start now.
Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,089,411 times
There are several banking institutions along Leetsdale in Glendale. I use Key Bank and the majority of the employees there are Russian and I cannot recall going into the bank and not hearing Russian spoken. Even the guy who cuts my hair is Russian, Simian at Floyd's is the best in town! It is predominently a Jewish Russian community that has slowly been growing since the late 70s. Check out some of the web site like http://www.baraban.com/news/denver/
From that site, "The Russian-speaking community of the greater Denver area was almost non-existent in the early 1970's, quickly grew to over a thousand families by 1980 and remained at that level until the early 1990's. It has since mushroomed to almost fifty thousand people mostly due to new arrivals from the Former Soviet Union, but also thanks to interstate migration of Russian-speakers to this area especially from the coasts. Majority of the former "Russians" here are Jewish, with disproportionately many of the earlier arrivals hailing from Bobruisk, Belarus, while many of the latecomers are Bukharian Jews.
The densest distribution of Russian-speakers in the Denver area, is probably still in Glendale and South East Denver, wedged between the Cherry Creek Mall, the Jewish Community Center, the newer and remodeled Russian Library and Club Valencia condominiums (popularly known as the Round House.) Squarely in the middle of it all is Oneida Square off Leetsdale, now commonly known as "The Russian Plaza", with most businesses owned and operated "by the Russians - for the Russians." The early strongholds of the "Denver Russians" of the late 1970s and early 1980s in small Glendale apartment buildings on Fairfax St. and in the Jewish neighborhood on the West Side of town along Colfax Avenue, have since lost most of their Russian flavor, as many of their former inhabitants bought houses and moved to the newer, more luxurious and sometimes less expensive neighborhoods outside Denver city limits. In the process nearby Aurora and Littleton experienced large gains in the numbers of Jewish Russian Americans, while Arvada gained a large Seventh Day Adventist and Baptist Russian-speaking communities.
>Most Russian-speakers that made this area their new home, did so for family reasons. And Denver is the perfect place to raise a family, while enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle than is possible in bigger cities along the US coasts. Not surprisingly, most stay here because they truly enjoy the quality of life Denver area affords. With readily accessible mountains, lakes, rivers and open areas just minutes away, outdoors opportunities abound. For more information on the Greater Denver - Boulder area outdoor opportunities, points of interest and events. To learn more about the local Russian-speaking community, please visit our forums, come back to visit us often, here in Russian Denver at http://www.russiandenver.com and then come visit us in person in the greater Denver / Boulder front range area."

Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,178 times
Default Denver Russians

this is a good choice. My wife Alona is from Uman, Ukraine and likes it here. every July 27th there is a russian festival here. there are russian stores. Glendale area has low rent and many russian people there. you can contact Alona at: [email]olena29@mail.ru[/email] if you want more info.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver