Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 AM

9 posts, read 16,805 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My family will be heading to the Denver area (from the DC area) soon as a result of a pcs. My husband will be stationed at Buckley AFB and we have a son who will be stating the 10th grade. We are looking to rent a home and want to know where the best areas are for school. I am looking to stay around $2K/mo. and don't want my poor husband to commute more than 20 mins. as he has been doing over an hour each way for the past 8 yrs! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cugirl25 View Post
Hi all. My family will be heading to the Denver area (from the DC area) soon as a result of a pcs. My husband will be stationed at Buckley AFB and we have a son who will be stating the 10th grade. We are looking to rent a home and want to know where the best areas are for school. I am looking to stay around $2K/mo. and don't want my poor husband to commute more than 20 mins. as he has been doing over an hour each way for the past 8 yrs! Thanks in advance!
The Cherry Creek school district is highly rated. If you live south of Hampden Ave in Southeast Aurora that would put you in that district. Also parts of unincorporated Arapaho County, which is called Centennial, just south of Quincy.
Eaglecrest High School is located on Piccadilly just south of Chenango. This is close to the Tall Grass and Copper Leaf developments as well as Pride's Crossing, Park View and other family-friendly developments. Lots of very nice housing stock here and it is an easy commute north on Reservoir/Tower to the base.

Other high schools in this district, and not too far from the base are Grandview and Cherokee Trail.

Eaglecrest High School
http://grandview.cherrycreekschools....s/default.aspx
Cherokee Trail High School

If you want to be closer, Rangeview High school is located on Iliff just west of Tower Road. It is in the Aurora Public School district, but does have a good reputation. There is also a specialized high school - William Smith - that is very close to the base. There are some very nice housing areas near these schools as well.

William Smith High School | An Expeditionary Learning School in Aurora, CO
Rangeview High School

Old 06-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Thank you, I will check these areas out.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Default Rangeview

I see that Rangeview High is not ranked well on the Great Schools website. Is there any insight you can shed on the school? We are actually considering a home in that district, but not if the school is bad.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:18 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cugirl25 View Post
I see that Rangeview High is not ranked well on the Great Schools website. Is there any insight you can shed on the school? We are actually considering a home in that district, but not if the school is bad.
I personally take the ratings on Great Schools with a grain of salt. As with any other online review mechanism, it is often (only) those with complaints that take the time to post.

It's a big suburban high school with a very diverse student body much like Aurora in general. They are devoted to athletics as well as some other high-profile endeavors (see below) and the kids seem pretty representative of any of the large suburban high schools in this area.

I wouldn't have any qualms about sending my kid there but that's me. I personally feel that if the environment is safe and orderly, and one's kid is willing to take advantage of what is offered, s/he will be fine even in lower rated schools.

You can always try to get into one of the Cherry Creek schools once you have found an abode. Downside to that is that you would have to provide transportation as they won't bus out of district.

Rangeview students head to nation cyber defense finals

Computer whiz kids from Aurora Rangeview HS win national competition | KWGN.com - Denver, Colorado News, Weather, Sports and more

Old 06-21-2014, 08:52 PM

I appreciate your comment and I agree with you. I figure we can always give it a try and if it doesn't work I can transport him to a different school. Thank you.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Please do not assume that you can enroll him in a different district at your whim. You might be able to send him to an APS school, but Range view is much better than the rest. If school is that important, then find a school first, and then find a home in that school's attendance area.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:00 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Definitely conside SE Aurora. Cherry Creek Schools are really good

Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
Village East and Expo Park neighborhoods are fairly reasonably priced, perhaps a ten minute drive from Buckley, and fall in the Cherry Creek school district.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:30 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
If you can't find anything within 20 minutes, you might want to expand your commute time to 30 mins and include SE Aurora. We're in the same situation as you and the traffic there won't be anything like the DC area. Good luck with finding a rental. We're dealing with that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver