Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 AM

306 posts, read 1,247,902 times

Advertisements

I have bad knees - from an OLD ski accident (1st timers bad luck) Needless to say, I don't ski.
I want to enjoy the snow and have debated the two activities - Snow shoes or Cross County skiing What do you think?

Compare the two in terms of ease and fun.

Or should I try snow boarding?

My knee problem is that my right knee can very easily POP (and it hurts) if I twist the wrong way or come down on it too hard.

My favorite snow activity is a hot toddy by a warm fire, but I'm look for a bit of exercise here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 12:16 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
You might want to give both a try - what one person might think is fun, another does not. I have tried both. Now I do not like to ski in general. So cross country skiing I did not find enjoyable. I found it to be a lot of work and I'm not very coordinated so I really didn't enjoy myself.
Snow shoeing on the other hand - I love it. You can get off into some great places, and while it is work, it's a different kind of work
I'm with you on the hot toddy by the fire idea.....

Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
Both of them will put pressure on the knees. Even in a "slow" activity like snowshoeing you will be on a relatively unstable surface (snow), so there's always the chance of falling/twisting/hurting. Snowboarding is no guarantee against knee injuries (although it's less common than in skiing) -- one of my buddies just re-tore his ACL snowboarding. There are two types of XC skiing -- traditional and skate -- although I've never done either, I'd think traditional would be easier on your knees (skating puts lateral pressure).

Depending on what is wrong with your knees, is surgery an option? If not, how about lots of rehab and a brace? I know many people who have torn their ACL skiing, but in lieu of surgery, have done rehab (to build up muscles to compensate for lack of ACL) and have returned to big mountain skiing.

Almost any activity you do in the mountains carries a risk of injury. But that is no reason to sit at home. There are many options (surgery, rehab/exercise, brace) to help you get out there. With those options, I'm sure you could do any activity.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
AlleyTD, I suggest going to an area with a Nordic track (Frisco, Breckenridge, WinterPark) and taking a cross-country lesson to try it out. You could properly also find some snowshoeing lessons, or at least some pros or experts who would be willing to give you some tips. Personally, I enjoy doing both as a way to get into the mountains in the winter and enjoy the scenery.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,384 times
I do both, but think there is much more likelihood of hurting your knee when cross-country skiing. Even on a relatively flat trail, you'll find minor ups and downs as you travel along. As a beginner, there's a real possibility that you'll take a few falls (especially on downhill sections of trail). And when you have a bit of a hill to climb, if your skis aren't sticking well, you can also slip; or you'll need to use a "climbing" technique that can put some torque on your needs.

I can't remember ever falling when snowshoeing, and it is much easier to avoid movements that torque the knee. Snowshoeing requires almost no "learning curve" -- you pretty much just walk with your feet a little further apart than usual.

I suggest you use poles when snowshoeing, although people will tell you they aren't mandatory. They can help you feel a bit more stable, and possibly help avert a little extra stress on your knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver