Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Is denver boring? I'm not a resident so I don't know. As a tourist who is visiting right now, NO it is not boring. There is tons to do. There are many fun things to do. You have parks, the mountains, the downtown core (which is awesome BTW), LoDo which is full of bars, you have Capitol Hill with restaurants and theatres. You have different neighborhoods each with their own style. There is Six Flags, sports stadiums, Santa Fe Arts District, You have Boulder and other exciting places within an hour's drive. Lot's of jogging and biking trails. Does this sound boring to you?? It's so nice here, and there's so many things to do, I HAVE to move here!!!

I wouldn't say Denver is REALLY boring. It's what you make it. If you're boring, then Denver will probably be boring to you. If you are outgoing, adventurous, and like getting out, then Denver should be lots of fun. Like I said before, ONLY you can decide if Denver is boring for you. Make the most of it.

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hi there. Is denver boring? I'm not a resident so I don't know. As a tourist who is visiting right now, NO it is not boring. There is tons to do. There are many fun things to do. You have parks, the mountains, the downtown core (which is awesome BTW), LoDo which is full of bars, you have Capitol Hill with restaurants and theatres. You have different neighborhoods each with their own style. There is Six Flags, sports stadiums, Santa Fe Arts District, You have Boulder and other exciting places within an hour's drive. Lot's of jogging and biking trails. Does this sound boring to you?? It's so nice here, and there's so many things to do, I HAVE to move here!!!

I wouldn't say Denver is REALLY boring. It's what you make it. If you're boring, then Denver will probably be boring to you. If you are outgoing, adventurous, and like getting out, then Denver should be lots of fun. Like I said before, ONLY you can decide if Denver is boring for you. Make the most of it.

Daniel
I moved here from Orange County and out there, traffic was so bad we never went anywhere other than work and home. In Denver we go to the Botanic Gardens, Zoo, once a year to the museums, downtown and Cherry Creek for dining once a month, Elitch Gardens in the summer. And it's all within 15 min. of our front door. Life is less boring here because things are easily accessible.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM

676 posts, read 2,796,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post

Daniel
Good point. Even the most hip touristy places can be boring if you come in with the wrong attitude. I would almost say that there is almost to much to do around here, one can just about lose themselves trying to take new hobbies and see all the sites in the city.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
Default Is Denver boring?

Hello people.

I have been living in Denver for about a month and I feel very bored with it, I was not expecting it to be this way.

I feel like Denver is very, very sprawled with a strong suburbia feel. Downtown Denver seems like the only place that has any life on the streets at all. The rest of Denver is just a car-dependant wasteland of strip malls and empty streets.

As for the people and the culture, I find the people to be cool and friendly. But also, I feel like there is not much energy here. Most of the people here seem to be sort of out-of-it or in their own little world. People around here don't seem like they want to meet new people or be engaging, and they have a big bubble around them. I feel like people are big on privacy here.

I really like the mountains and nature here, that's a good thing.

I have never lived in the midwest before and I think that most midwest cities have these same traits. I am just not used to it. To me, Denver feels very bland, boring and most of the people look like they are stuck in a routine.

Denver is really laid back and relaxing, but maybe a little bit too much.

I'm not trying to slam Denver here, i'm just curious about everyone's opinion on this and if it's just all in my head. Does anyone else see this?

Thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
I see your points and agree with some of it. I've been here all my life though hence the boredom. Where did you move from?

As far as meeting people, I'm very social and have been organizing happy hours every so often. You don't have to drink, just stop by and you'll meet someone - guaranteed!

Just keep your eye out here for the happy hour thread. I feel one coming on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Hello people.

I have been living in Denver for about a month and I feel very bored with it, I was not expecting it to be this way.

I feel like Denver is very, very sprawled with a strong suburbia feel. Downtown Denver seems like the only place that has any life on the streets at all. The rest of Denver is just a car-dependant wasteland of strip malls and empty streets.

As for the people and the culture, I find the people to be cool and friendly. But also, I feel like there is not much energy here. Most of the people here seem to be sort of out-of-it or in their own little world. People around here don't seem like they want to meet new people or be engaging, and they have a big bubble around them. I feel like people are big on privacy here.

I really like the mountains and nature here, that's a good thing.

I have never lived in the midwest before and I think that most midwest cities have these same traits. I am just not used to it. To me, Denver feels very bland, boring and most of the people look like they are stuck in a routine.

Denver is really laid back and relaxing, but maybe a little bit too much.

I'm not trying to slam Denver here, i'm just curious about everyone's opinion on this and if it's just all in my head. Does anyone else see this?

Thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
IMO, Denver is not boring. I always manage to keep myself entertained. There's really quite a bit going on here at any one time. It took me a while to root in when I first moved here, and I can relate to what you're saying. Give yourself some time: you may learn to love the city as you get to know it better. Hint: the best areas to explore are in the city. I personally find the 'burbs to be a bit bland and boring.

I do agree about the people. I've found that people here keep to themselves, and are fairly unfriendly. I've met tons of great people since I moved here in 2004, but making good friends does take alot more effort here than in some places I've lived.

I personally don't find Denver to be all that laid back. People here seem like they're always in a hurry and tend to avoid getting to know people around them. Lots of soccer moms speeding through red lights in their Suburbans to get their kids to practice.

Overall, I love Denver. I think it's a great place to live. I just don't think that it's as friendly and laid back as it is reputed. Good luck to you!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
You have lived here a month, and you made the decision that Denver is boring. Any place, anywhere can never be boring in the first month--there would be too much to see.

You talk about wham, bam, thank you m'am---you need to slow down; take in the environment; appreciate and know the differences; engage people; develop interests; involve yourself in activities...and that takes time and effort.

Maybe you need to look within and decide why your intelligence cannot reach out see what there is to see.

Livecontent

Old 11-20-2008, 02:14 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
I have lived in a lot of different places over the past few years. I grew up in California and lived all over the state, and was just living in Shanghai, China. I've also lived in Portland OR and SLC Utah.

Denver is better than SLC hands down Compared to all the other cities i've lived in, Denver really has much more of a small town feel. It reminds me a lot of the small town of 30,000 I went to college at, as opposed to a city of half a million people.

I think the main thing about Denver that I don't like is the sprawl. I prefer a dense city. I don't like being so dependant on a car and surrounded by miles and miles of suburbia, even within the city limits I would call a lot of Denver suburbia. It makes the city feel very empty and I feel a lack of community because everyone exists in their own space and their own bubble.

I am living just a few miles from downtown, in the city limits of Denver, i'm not out in the burbs but I sure feel like it. But a lot of US cities are like this, especially in the midwest.

I am liking it here though, I am not unhappy or disgruntled about it. I love the nature, the camping, mountains, etc. But as for the city of Denver itself, I havn't really found anything to love about it quite yet.

I like the parks here. I like how clean the city is. I like how safe it is, even the "bad parts" of Denver are not bad at all in my opinion. Denver doesn't really have any unsafe parts except maybe for some streets downtown.

I'm gonna keep on looking for the good stuff here

I'll say it again that I am not slamming Denver here. I just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way as me on this, or if my perception of it is somehow wrong.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,728 times
Give it time. I felt the same way too for the first couple months I was here (I came from Chicago). But the longer I stayed the more and more this city grew on me.

I do miss the "urban" feel though..I do not get that here.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
It's funny when I complain about this stuff people tell me that I'm wrong and that Denver is as urban as it gets. Maybe it's the way I'm wording it. But most people I know think I'm nuts for wanting to move from here in search of a more urban, dense city. I've even gotten into arguments here about how Denver is a real city --- but what you describe as something that feels small townish is exactly what I'm talking about! At least you've been elsewhere, I have not. And Shanghai, omg, in my dreams. I hope you get to enjoying it here. I do agree, give it more time than a month to really see if you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver