Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:31 AM

10 posts, read 14,212 times

Advertisements

Hi I was just wondering about something. Im thinking of moving to Denver. Im curious about how efficient is the mass transit system. Can a person live without a car if they live in the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 AM

5 posts, read 12,473 times
From what I'm reading, the transit system is amazing, much better than the one in my home town. I will be in the same boat when I move, no car initially. I'm actually looking forward to riding the bus and the light rail to get around.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydavis View Post
Hi I was just wondering about something. Im thinking of moving to Denver. Im curious about how efficient is the mass transit system. Can a person live without a car if they live in the downtown area.
Depends on your lifestyle, and where Downtown you are living. At very least it would mean a lot of walking. Example: you might have to walk miles, carrying your groceries from the nearest supermarket. It might even require a bus ride for that.

As for how efficient Denver's transit system is. There is only one 24 hour a day route in the entire city, and even that route doesn't run as often as major routes do in other cities. RTD I believe has no plans to change that. As a matter of fact, they keep cutting bus service.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
If I was going to live car free in Denver I would be sure to live within walking distance of a grocery store and walking distance to both a bus stop and light rail stop. I'd also be sure that my workplace was within walking distance or on a bus or light rail line. There isn't a grocery store in downtown Denver at this point in time so downtown specifically does not seem like the best choice for being car free.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,615 times
One of the main reasons people live in Denver is the mountains, outdoor recreation and things surrounding that. You'd pretty much be removing all of that, as mass transit doesn't really go to the mountains or many areas outside of metro Denver.

Might also take forever to get places if having to rely on buses. Now that Google Maps does bus routes I see times pop up when I route for directions sometimes. For example last night I drove to Park Meadows Mall for some specialty shops (many of which don't exist in downtown Denver). Google Maps said it was 15 minutes by car or 2 hours by bus from my location (pretty near a bus route).

Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,056,569 times
Our mass transit system is actually really pathetic. Improving but still pathetic. It is best used for targeted things like daily commute where you can check out ahead of time point A to point B transit and then pick your housing based on where you work. To go carless you will likely need the car2go service https://www.car2go.com/en/denver/ , a good bicycle that you love to ride, and great stamina for walking. You will also want to find housing right next to your favorite grocery store. It will help tremendously if you are a homebody who doesn't want to go anywhere or do anything.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM

459 posts, read 807,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If I was going to live car free in Denver I would be sure to live within walking distance of a grocery store and walking distance to both a bus stop and light rail stop. I'd also be sure that my workplace was within walking distance or on a bus or light rail line. There isn't a grocery store in downtown Denver at this point in time so downtown specifically does not seem like the best choice for being car free.
You can easily live downtown without a car. The grocery store complaint is very overblown. A grocery store is just one part of the equation and your average person does not go there often enough for it to be prioritized over other things you use on a daily basis within walking distance. Work is important and where you live is important, as well as a variety of stores/restaurants/cafes/etc (not just grocery stores). Downtown has more in most of those categories of stores, better access to bus routes, cycling routes, and light rail (as well as jobs).

Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM

459 posts, read 807,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydavis View Post
The biggest issue to overcome is access to the mountains and moving things, I live downtown and those are the only thing I really use my car for. You can use rentals or car shares to fill that void for the most part and it should be more economical -unless you go there a ton-.

Of course job location is important as well, not every business in the metro is easily accessible from a bus/lrt route. But assuming you have that figured out it should be pretty easy in downtown Denver.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Not "no car"

Don't think "no car".
Think RTD + Car2Go + Hertz/Enterprise

Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
You can easily live downtown without a car. The grocery store complaint is very overblown. A grocery store is just one part of the equation and your average person does not go there often enough for it to be prioritized over other things you use on a daily basis within walking distance. Work is important and where you live is important, as well as a variety of stores/restaurants/cafes/etc (not just grocery stores). Downtown has more in most of those categories of stores, better access to bus routes, cycling routes, and light rail (as well as jobs).
I'm pretty sure I read that King Soopers is putting in a store somewhere around Union Station. Maybe a Whole Foods too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: