Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM

182 posts, read 328,175 times

Advertisements

So I may have to lease my home again . Last time I used a realtor to secure tenant and screen them (credit, background, etc) but this time I'm going to do it since I have someone that wants to rent it. Any realtors/landlords have a good recommendation for an online company that does a good job of obtaining this info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM

306 posts, read 546,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
So I may have to lease my home again . Last time I used a realtor to secure tenant and screen them (credit, background, etc) but this time I'm going to do it since I have someone that wants to rent it. Any realtors/landlords have a good recommendation for an online company that does a good job of obtaining this info?
Transunion (one of the 3 major credit bureaus) has a great tenant screening option for $25 and another option for $30, but your potential tenant also has to log onto the site in order to complete the application. That's to protect you and Transunion, vs. the old way of doing it where the landlord keys in all the info the tenant has provided him.

We have a couple rental properties in CA and we only use Transunion. Not that it matters to this discussion, but I don't like them as a credit bureau, however I like their tenant screening services.

https://www.mysmartmove.com/

I hope this info helps, and good luck!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info, so the tenant enters their personal info and then you receive the information via email?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM

306 posts, read 546,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
Thanks for the info, so the tenant enters their personal info and then you receive the information via email?
Yes. You fill out the landlord section, then you give the tenant a code for them to log in and enter their info, and give their consent for their credit to be assessed, etc. Then you receive email notification when they've done that and you're able to access the results.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 AM

Good to know!

Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 AM

253 posts, read 228,958 times
I'm personally a fan of MyRental.com. I've been with them for a while now, and in my experience they give you the best results for your dollar.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:39 PM

I'll give an update since I've used two different companies now. After comparing reviews online of several sites I decided to use RentPrep. I paid for the upgraded package which included a real person calling to confirm/ask for verification of employment, references, etc... One thing to note about them is that they can get most of the credit screening, background, eviction, etc... back to you pretty quickly over the weekend. Since I started an inquiry over the weekend and they are on the East coast, the person to person screening portion couldn't be completed until Monday but they did get that done quickly and they were persistent. You can see notes where the screener has called up to 3 times to talk with a landlord, reference or employer and if they spoke with the person or what they found out. You can also call and talk to someone about the screening and they added notes regarding some suspicions I had regarding references. The credit portion does not show you a score however or a full accurate depiction of their credit history. They just give you a pass or fail based off the criteria you input as the type of credit history your willing to accept. What I liked about this company is that they do some of the leg work for you and you do not have to rely or wait on an applicant to put in any information to get the report back.

Because I was feeling a little suspicious about the accuracy of the prospective tenant's application, I decided to run a second report through the TransUnion mysmartmove as Veg-gal suggested above. What I liked about this one was that it was much faster, almost instant results and it gives a much clearer picture of their credit history including their score. Also checks background, evictions, showed delinquent accounts, collection accounts, addresses etc... It does not verify employment or check landlord references etc... This report however cleared up any confusion I had about the applicants since it gave such a clearer view of their payment history. The only drawback, which was mentioned in reviews, was that you do have to wait for the applicant to accept the email, logon and give whatever info or permission they want to run the report. Our applicant got this done fast but I could see it being frustrating if someone didn't get to this quickly. You would have to verify employment and call landlords or references yourself with this one.

The ironic thing was that RentPrep recommended I accept one applicant but decline the co-applicant and Transunion did the exact opposite recommendation. Personally I think I'll spend a little extra money out of my own pocket to run both reports to make sure I get the best picture I can on a tenant. In addition to that, I found it absolutely invaluable to check the county assessors website on the tenants past two addresses to obtain the property owners mailing address and name. I then searched online and found phone numbers, called their previous and current landlords and found out the applicant was not a good tenant from both landlords and was currently being evicted! If anyone wants to hire me for my services, let me know, I'm a better investigator than I even thought I could be! Can't be too cautious these days, especially after the deluge of people looking at my home that either can't afford it or want to use it as a grow house for marijuana!

Old 10-12-2016, 03:01 AM

75 posts, read 60,090 times
Just came across this post. I know that many property application platforms such as Rentberry and Zillow, do tenant screening if you post your vacancy with them. Besides, they can make renting out a vacancy easier, especially if you don't use service of real estate agent. These portals cove all aspects of rental application process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver