Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,337 times

Advertisements

I've done a fair share of research about different places to live in Colorado and there is an abundant amount of information with different opinions so I wanted to see if anyone could give me a better opinion based on what I'm looking for.

I am working right near Golden, CO literally 7 minutes from the Coors factory. I am 23 yrs old and graduated from Pitt in engineering. I am trying to keep the cost of rent no higher than $1000 if possible. I don't need a lavish apartment or large living space since I am use to sharing a smaller house with 5 roommates in college. I love the outdoors so I'll plan on spending most of my time biking, hiking, snowboarding, camping, in the gym, or escaping into the mountains on weekends. I am single and still have alot of partying left in me so I wouldn't mind being in an area with a night scene. More importantly I'd prefer an area that was walkable distance to clubs/bars or close enough to get a cab. Right now I am stuck between sharing an apartment with someone or getting my own, but either way I am open to both options if I find the right roommate(s).

I lived in Aurora last summer for my internship, but I didn't get a chance to see what other areas were like to live. I loved Boulder and the Denver night scene. My dilemma right now is choosing the best area to live and here are a few options I'm considering and why...

1) Wheat Ridge/Arvada - close to work ie. easy commute and inbetween work and Denver bars
2) Boulder - lots of people my age, I love the easy access to foothills, party scene, but approx 30min commute without traffic.
3) West Denver - close to bar scene and lots of diversity, apartments are pricey, and worried about traffic commute (30+min)

These are just a few of the areas I've considered based on what I know and researched. Ideally an easy commute would be nice living in Wheat Ridge/Arvada, but I'm skeptical if I'll meet many people living there. A few questions I have are:

1) What is the morning commute like from West Denver/Boulder to Golden and is a longer commute worth living there?
2) Where's the best area to meet people?
3) Between Arvada, West Denver, and Boulder what do you recommend and why based on what I am looking for?

I don't want to regret not choosing the right area. I'm moving in 5 days and staying in an extended stay hotel, but I need to decide where to live asap so I can begin my search when I arrive.

Any opinions/help would be great!!! Thank you so much everyone!

Last edited by jgs9000; 08-28-2014 at 01:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
1. Wheat Ridge
between Sheridan (actually Chase) and Wadsworth, 26th to 43rd

Easy commute to Golden.
Easy to get to downtown Denver. #38 bus runs often.
Affordable.

2. Belmar

3. I think that all of the western NEIGHBORHOODS of the City & County of Denver are beyond your price point.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:59 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Boulder rocks.. its amazing city with amazing scenery. The only downsize is the cost of living is high because of the rich CU students and the educated populace it drives up the demand for a place to stay. I like the Denver metro but the traffic is horrible and the city is very sprawling and the people didn't seem that outgoing in some the the places I went to. I would def move to Boulder if you can somewhere land a job in town or pay the cost of living. I am thinking of moving to Boulder after I finish graduate school. Just my two cents have a blessed day.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:10 PM

27 posts, read 54,327 times
With the $1,000 rent cap I'd go with Lakewood - one of 2 areas

1. Green Mountain (6th and Simms/Union Blvd Area). There are a lot of apartments in this area and there's a stop on the W line light rail to get you downtown for partying. Nightlife not so great in immediate area, only Old Chicago and maybe a few other bars for walking distance. Shopping for basic needs (grocery) and plenty of restaurants and a 24 hour fitness (Gym) in the area. Close to Mountain Biking, Hiking in foothills. Easy to commute to Golden.

2. Belmar (Alameda and Wadsworth). Better nightlife with some bars and several restaurants within walking distance - it's a "new urban development" with mixed retail, dining, apartments. Rent will be higher here. A little bit further from Golden/Foothills but still easy commute. No light rail stop but it's close and there's a shuttle to the wadsworth station, still easy to get downtown.

If money were no object then West Highland or Edgewater (near Sloan's Lake) would be good fits but you're going to end up way over budget there.

As far as meeting people I used meetup.com based on my interests. Tons of transplants so you'll find several like minded people looking to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver