Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 AM

25 posts, read 27,359 times

Advertisements

Hello friends

I'm a registered nurse and considering a Denver relocation to pursue my passion for the outdoors (climbing, biking, backpacking, rafting, etc.) But my career and learning experience is pretty important to me as well. So I was wondering if anyone could shed an insider's opinion on area hospitals...specifically Aurora.

I've been working in a cardiac ICU for a year and a half now and may stay in this area for a bit longer to gain experience. But my one true love is heme/onc.

My career is important to me. How are hospitals? I've looked up the rankings but those can mean little in the physical world. Are they well regarded by patients and families? Good patient outcomes? Are nurses advocated for and comfortably compensated? I get by fairly well in Kansas City on my earnings.

Also! I know Denver is just full of badass rock climbers. I love rock climbing...but I'm definitely not a badass. I've only been climbing for a little while...I'm still working on cleaning 5.9's and can barely get off the ground on most 5.10's (my strength needs to improve). How is the culture of climbing? I could see it being very pretentious.

One last question...I have a 100 lb German Shepherd. He is 7 years old and friendly as can be. Is Denver dog friendly as far as renting goes?

Any thoughts or comments help! Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 AM

694 posts, read 1,039,042 times
Several people have answered the question about nursing and licenses a few days ago to someone who wants to relocate from Okie-Homa. You may want to check previous posts. There are numerous hospitals in the area. I have a friend that recently left a nursing position at a Littleton Hospital to go on maternity leave. She was making $33.00 an hour. She does have a BSN.

As to dog friendly, yes, it is a dog friendly city. However, you may have serious issues with renting an apartment with that size dog. It may be impossible. As to renting a house, stand in line for a house in a good and trendy area. You'll be asked to leave a hefty deposit given the owners are willing to allow a pet.

I'm not into rock climbing. I play hockey. I use to repel when I was a member of a local PD SWAT team. However, I've seen several people rock climbing in Boulder Canyon.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:33 PM

306 posts, read 545,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jema1990 View Post
Hello friends

I'm a registered nurse and considering a Denver relocation to pursue my passion for the outdoors (climbing, biking, backpacking, rafting, etc.) But my career and learning experience is pretty important to me as well. So I was wondering if anyone could shed an insider's opinion on area hospitals...specifically Aurora.

I've been working in a cardiac ICU for a year and a half now and may stay in this area for a bit longer to gain experience. But my one true love is heme/onc.

My career is important to me. How are hospitals? I've looked up the rankings but those can mean little in the physical world. Are they well regarded by patients and families? Good patient outcomes? Are nurses advocated for and comfortably compensated? I get by fairly well in Kansas City on my earnings.

Also! I know Denver is just full of badass rock climbers. I love rock climbing...but I'm definitely not a badass. I've only been climbing for a little while...I'm still working on cleaning 5.9's and can barely get off the ground on most 5.10's (my strength needs to improve). How is the culture of climbing? I could see it being very pretentious.

One last question...I have a 100 lb German Shepherd. He is 7 years old and friendly as can be. Is Denver dog friendly as far as renting goes?

Any thoughts or comments help! Thanks so much
Here's one thread on nursing in the Denver area, but there are a couple more.
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...se-advise.html

Most people are surprised to hear about the lower wages RNs out here make. However, there are lots of other benefits to living in CO, and I guess lots of RNs move out here, therefore there can be a shortage of RN positions at various times. Having said that, if you have a solid work experience and a BSN, you should be able to get a job in a local hospital, but maybe not in the exact unit you're looking for right off the bat. If you don't have a BSN and don't mind working in doctor's officers, homecare, hospice or nursing homes, then you could possibly get a job quite easily.

Rentals in the Denver area are much more pet-friendly than anywhere else I've lived (CA, PA, TN, etc). There are several apartment complexes that don't have weight restrictions on dogs. Some do of course. Expect to pay a pet deposit of at least $250 for most apartments, and some also charge a pet fee that's generally non-refundable on top of the deposit, and pet rent of about $25-$30/month. Most apartment communities have a Bark Park, or something similar for you to exercise your dog. Some have more than one. Also, be prepared to show proof that your dog's been neutered (a note from your vet will suffice), and you'll also need a dog license for most cities out here. I rented a small duplex from a private landlord in Wheat Ridge when I first moved to CO a year ago, and she charged me $200 per pet, which I was fine with, and no pet rent. But her place was tiny (about 500 sq ft) and difficult to rent, although it had a fenced-in yard and worked great for me for almost a year. Offering to pay first and last month's rent (or a month more if they already require 1st and last), plus security deposit may help you in this tough rental market. There are a couple pet threads here too. You want want to look through those as well.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver