Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 PM

306 posts, read 546,148 times

Advertisements

A little background info first. I was a full time student paying out-of-state tuition up until a couple months ago so I still had my out-of-state license plate (legally) until I officially became a CO resident. In TN where I moved from we only needed 1 license place, and that was in the back of the vehicle. Been driving like that for almost a year with no issues, but of course with a TN license plate.

Earlier last month I got my CO license plates so I changed out the one on the back of the vehicle. My vehicle didn't even have the necessary license plate holder in the front (they gave me 2 at the DMV so I assumed I was to use both). The day I was to take my vehicle in to someone who said that he'd be able to make the necessary adjustments to get the plate on, I got a ticket in Denver for $75 for "Violation - Does not meet requirement of CRS 42-3-202 No Front Plate Affixed."
I took my car in that same day and had the brackets and license plate put on the front of the vehicle.

It's my fault of course, and I know that ignorance of the law is not a defense but just wondering if anyone thinks I should take the time off to go to court to dispute this to save the $75, or if I should just pay it. Do I have a defense at all ? This is my first traffic violation of any type, so just wondering if it's worth disputing (and the benefits to disputing it). Honestly, I'm not worried about the $75, but more about the future ramifications of having broken the law (points on my insurance ? Increased rates ? etc ?)

Your thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Honestly, I'm not worried about the $75, but more about the future ramifications of having broken the law (points on my insurance ? Increased rates ? etc ?)

Your thoughts ?
The ticket should not show up on your record and won't impact your insurance rates or add points. It doesn't sound like you'd have a defense that would hold up in court but I could be wrong. If it were me, I'd just pay it and move on. Denver is very quick to give tickets for parking violations, expired plates and things like this. It's frustrating to be on the receiving end of these types of violations, especially when you were in the process of trying to remedy the situation, but I'm not sure it's worth it to spend a day in court. But that decision is ultimately up to you.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
It's a non-moving violation, so shouldn't get any points on your license. You can call the Denver city traffic bureau and they should be able to confirm that for you. No points should mean that there's no adverse affect upon your insurance.

Since you had a CO plate on the rear of the car, you were required to display the front license plate. You admit that you didn't do so, so there's really no defense to the ticket as written. The best you can do with this would be a "no contest" plea, which admits you did the offense even if there were some circumstances as to why. IMO, it's unlikely that you'll gain anything by contesting the ticket ... so might as well pay up and be done with it rather than put any time into it.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:47 PM

306 posts, read 546,148 times
Makes perfect sense, MissTerri and sunsprit. Thank you both!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Since your vehicle was not ready for both plates and you did take it in and have things adjusted accordingly I think I would go to court and show your receipt for the adjustments and ask if the ticket can be dismissed.
If not then pay the fine and move on.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
You almost certainly won't get points or insurance increase for something like that, but like sun sprit said you can call to confirm. And you admitted you weren't actually in compliance with the law. Pay the fine.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 AM

403 posts, read 759,516 times
If you try to fight it and you are denied, you could also be facing additional court fees for taking up their time.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:21 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
If you try to fight it and you are denied, you could also be facing additional court fees for taking up their time.

This. Just pay the fine.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:40 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
I have received a couple of similar 'no front tag' $75 tickets. The procedure is that first you have to file a written contest, then you appear at the county administration building downtown in front of some parking department employee that ignores any argument you have and denies your contest. The employees that work in this department are among the dumbest and rudest of any in county government, they mailed my scheduled hearing date to an old address which of course created a big headache for me. Then you have the right to have the matter heard by a county judge/magistrate in County Court (also downtown, but on a different day). The county judges are more open minded, but you have to remember that this is the lowest level of court and the most boring for the judge, the judges tend to side with traffic staff regardless of the case you present. Based upon my experience, it is very unlikely the judge will add additional court costs if you show up and present your case. I researched this specific subject and came to the conclusion that the intent of the state law on this mater is intended to be applied to moving vehicles, but that the law does not specifically prohibit it from being applied to parking vehicles. I paid the ticket and didn't make the argument, even though I estimate a 40% chance of winning, because it would require $500+ of my time to fight a $75 ticket, so I would loss even if I won. You may have more free time, but it is unlikely you have my legal research skills. Denver is the only County that enforces this plate law, it is, IMO, strictly for revenue, there is no public safety reason to enforce it. Just imagine how depressing it must be to be the Dennis Rader wantabe that issues these tickets knowing that it is your job to screw people out of a few bucks for trivial, inconsequential, infractions of the law.

Last edited by Robert5; 09-03-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 09:37 AM

6,798 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Yeah, I agree with Robert5 in the respect that the "parking magistrate" employees don't seem to be the brightest. I had to contest a ticket once and I don't think the person who I worked with really understood what happened even though I don't think my explanation could have been clearer.

(for the record, back when Cherry Creek had parking KIOSKS and not meters, I parked my vehicle and received a ticket while I was paying for parking at the kiosk. I made it back to my vehicle while the parking enforcement person was still at my vehicle and he basically told me that I was SOL, as he had already written the ticket.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: