Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 04:03 PM

12 posts, read 18,510 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be starting a new job in Boulder in a couple weeks and am trying to find a place to live (it's so hard!). Since I will be living in between Boulder and Denver, I'm trying to figure out the best route to take. 36 is not an option I've heard unless you just want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic. I will likely be living in north arvada, Westminster, or Broomfield. If any of you commute to Boulder from that area, can you provide the route you take and roughly how long it takes you. I'm changing from a work environment where it took me 3 minutes to get to work, so this will be an adjustment! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 7,881 times
I commute from Denver (just NW of downtown) to Boulder every day. I use 36 almost exclusively because there is no other good, continuous way to get from where I am to Boulder. I have a later schedule to try to avoid traffic, going in at 9 or 930 and leaving at 6. Doing this helps a lot, especially in the mornings, when the commute is usually only about 35 minutes (goes to more like 45 in the evening). The real issue is when it snows, that can make for terrible drives. From northern Arvada, you may have better options. You could go Wadsworth to 36. You'd still spend significant time on 36 but you really won't be going that far on it (about half my commute). You should also try taking either 70 or 6th Ave (depending on which you live closer to) to 93 and going up 93. 6th Ave is great, and I'd imagine 70 is also pretty free on most weekdays, as its traffic issues are more related to skiing on the weekends. A warning that 93 is only one lane each way so if anything happens you could have problems, but I've used it a good bit recently to get to Golden or Arvada from Boulder and it has been great.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I have lived in Colorado 36 yrs and about 34 years in Arvada. I lived in many areas of Arvada. The most direct route to Boulder from Arvada is North and you can avoid Hwy. 36. You could go west to 93 and head north but I always hated that road. I have always liked to take Indiana, west on 128 for a short bit and then North on McCaslin. This will take you through Superior and then you can catch South Boulder Road west to Boulder. However, any of these roads are very problematic during winter with drifting snows and wind and sometimes 93 is closed.

Or, you can take the most relaxing way and take public transit by taking buses to Broomfield Park-n-Ride or Westminster Park-n-Ride and taking the Regional Bus into Boulder. With the opening of the Bus Rapid Transit in 2016, it will take less time on the bus. However, it will still be a long commute by Public transit but have less stress and less chance to be staled in traffic.

Your best bet would be to live close to work in Boulder. However, if that is not the case then I would live next to one of the BRT stations along 36 in Broomfield or Westminster at Church Ranch or the Westminster Park-n-Ride. Then your commute on Public Transit will be less and you will save money and have less stress. Keep in mind many Employers in Boulder provide a subsidized or free bus pass--one of the big advantages of that liberal enclave. With many circular and feeder buses in Boulder, you may be able to reach your work with public transit.

Or if you really like a long public transit trip, you could live near one of the station on the Gold Line (opening in 2016) and take the train to Union Station and catch the regional bus, B, to Boulder.

OR you could live in Golden (which is very interesting) and catch Regional Bus GS direct up 93 to Boulder.

As you can tell, I am a public transit fanatic and I know the system well and have used all the buses I have mentioned. However, I am retired and my life in not measured by time and when I get there is not as important as how I enjoy the trip.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-24-2014 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver