Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:21 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,689 times

Advertisements

For years these scum have littered my front porchs with their fake yellow pages. To me it is no different than if someone dropped a bag of fast food wrappings on my front porch. Now they are robocalling me to confirm that I have received my Yellow Book, four times in the past week. How is this company's outdated business model still functional in 2014? Are there that many people that can afford to buy things, but don't have internet access? Or are there just enough stupid business owners out there that they continue to buy yellow book ads? How is it they have not been banned by any municipalities (never mind, a search indicates that Seattle and SF had bans, but they were ruled not legal by Courts)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 PM

749 posts, read 580,342 times
Yellow books and phone books are still very useful to me and many others.
Sure, I have internet but it is often quicker and easier to look it up in a phone book
than turn on the computer and wait for it to load.
I don't know what you mean by fake books. Besides, I have found much outdated information
on websites, for restaurants and other businesses. The internet is not always current, at least
where I live.
I don't want to turn on my laptop every time I make a phone call! Do you? I use the phone book
every day. Superior technology does not always replace older methods.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:38 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
There should be an unsubscribe option.
Check the the inside of the Yellow Book.
We no longer receive this junk.

I am 66 (which is the new 65!) and have not used a phone book in 10+ years.
My daughter is 28 and has NEVER used one.
Obsolete.
We should arrange that all copies be delivered to carnelian's house.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
I have a stack of different phone books which I never use. I just throw one out when the new one arrives. I keep a little one in the car but it is never used. Why do I keep them? Perhaps a reminder of a past long gone when a phone book was important.

They are really useless. They are really too heavy for my arthritic hands; yet over the years they have got much thinner. I can remember the tome of the NYC Manhattan Telephone Directory--now that was a ponderous book!

I have multiple computers and it is much easier to talk to my tablet.

I did try to opt out a few years ago and it never worked but now there is a website:

There is a website to opt out of delivery. https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/homepage

Livecontent

Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
The internet is not always current, at least
where I live.

I don't want to turn on my laptop every time I make a phone call! Do you? I use the phone book
every day. Superior technology does not always replace older methods.
Interesting. You have a different Internet where you live. Does yours have a lot of pictures of cats doing crazy things too?

My iPad and iPhone start up instantly. Brave new world.

OP, check this video: How to Unsubscribe from YellowBook in Under 2 Minutes - YouTube

Last edited by SkyDog77; 11-12-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 PM

473 posts, read 849,042 times
Quote:
than turn on the computer and wait for it to load. I don't want to turn on my laptop every time I make a phone call!
Very few people do this. Most people have a full computer with them at all times - aka a smartphone.

And even without a smartphone most people at home and work are constantly connected. You can find a business in Google in about five seconds; less time than leafing through the yellow pages. Also, unlike a phone book, the info is usually current, (and lists hours, reservation numbers, one click directions, and general FAQs).

Even better, one can quickly parse through reviews and find up to date info (good or bad) on that business. A pretty phone book graphic isn't going to inform me that the roof guy I call to come provide an estimate has 10 fraud charges against him and is about to skip town.

Quote:
The internet is not always current, at least where I live.
What does this mean? You have the same internet I have, (unless you're in Cuba). If you're referring to speeds, I do understand it's slower in certain rural areas, but for basic Google searching, (which are primarily text results) it shouldn't be a significant factor.

Also, the phone book sells ads by distribution numbers. Thus even if 9 out of 10 phone books on the front porch make a beeline to the dumpster, it's still touted as 10 households. The question should be who actually advertises in the phone book, unless it's so cheap it's just for reasons of habit.

I do love books. But not the phone book.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 11-12-2014 at 10:11 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by fake books.
Yellow Book is not published by the phone company. It is published by a scummy privately owned company, and they mimic the phone company yellow pages. It is useless not only because of the internet, but because the Yellow Book only includes listings for companies that pay them for advertising. You might not even get it where you live, where ever that is, certainly not Denver.

Regarding opting out: Pppppttt! As if the people they contract to deliver the books are going to take the time to sort through a list. (I do believe that Yellow Book will provide them a list, how complete that list is...) It is much faster for the contractors to just throw the book onto every porch.

Last edited by Robert5; 11-12-2014 at 10:43 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 PM

79 posts, read 99,893 times
Quote:
Yellow books and phone books are still very useful to me and many others.
Sure, I have internet but it is often quicker and easier to look it up in a phone book
than turn on the computer and wait for it to load.
I know ! By the time I get that AOL disk shoved into the cup-holder thingie and turn ON the modem and turn ON the monitor and turn ON the computer and log IN and then call tech support because the stupid computer keeps forgetting my password - by the time I do ALL that I could have used the Yellow Book ten times over to find a dealer to replace my broken Pager.

Modern technology is USELESS I tell you !

Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
The question should be who actually advertises in the phone book, unless it's so cheap it's just for reasons of habit.
That was part of my question. Who are these business owners? Maybe the business owners are intentionally targeting elderly people.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 PM

194 posts, read 273,163 times
I doubt it has changed.....I took a job delivering these things 15 years ago when I was a broke college kid, LOL.. OLD.....anyway they actually call people randomly to see if you got the book before they pay the contractor who delivered it. This was to prove the contractor just didn't ditch them in a dumpster.

I know it is a PITA BUT just confirm so the poor sap that took the job gets paid.

I would assume you are only getting called if you have a land line so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Who actually has a land line? And if you do, don't you expect calls like this?

And yes, I agree it is outdated and silly. It used to be I wouldn't do business with certain types that advertised in the book. For example a tech company. Just saying they should know better! But like others I haven't looked at one in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: