Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,882 times

Advertisements

This is my first post on CD, and I’d appreciate any positive input. I’m a 24 year old male who just got out of school about a year and a half ago. I’m currently living in the Cleveland area (in a smaller town about 30 minutes south) and recently I’ve been offered a job transfer to Denver (around 1st avenue and University Boulevard) which I’m interested in. While I’ve never been to Denver, I’ve been doing some research and reading through some other threads and it seems like a great place to be.

My greatest concern is the cost of renting, as well as the overall cost of living compared to Cleveland. My girlfriend and I currently rent a three bedroom town home for 1100 a month (which I understand just isn’t possible in Denver) but we’re interested in finding a one/two bedroom apartment for 1200-1500 a month. Do you have any suggestions on places to check out? We don’t have any pets or kids. We both have reliable vehicles so being near public transportation isn’t really a huge deal to us, although it would be nice to not have to drive everywhere like we do now. We’d like to be in a walkable area with restaurants and stores around in a safe area (seems like all places are generally safe, but the less sketchy the better). We’re not really big on nightlife and the whole party scene anymore, and we’d actually prefer to be in a more quiet part of the city. Do you think that would have a huge impact on being able to meet and network with other people around our age?

Also how would you compare the winters in Denver to the winters in Cleveland? Here we get the wonderful lake effect snow, and with it being one of the cloudiest places in the US the snow doesn’t really have a chance to melt so we’re pretty much stuck with it until the spring. I know you guys get a decent amount of snow, but from my understanding it doesn’t stick around too long with the sun and the driving conditions are pretty safe if you’ve driven in the snow before. Is that a safe assumption?

My next concern is my girlfriend just got her degree for middle childhood education (grades 6-8) with a concentration in math/science. I know the job market for teachers everywhere isn’t looking so hot right now, but do you think it’s any better or worse compared to the rest of the country? She also has got her coaching certificate and currently works as a high school gymnastics coach.

This next question is pretty random, but please bear with me lol. Do you have any dangerous wildlife such as snakes, bears, big cats, or any poisonous spiders? I’m terrified of snakes. I know they probably aren’t in the city, but how about in the national parks or other areas? I know it seems ridiculous but I’m curious. Here we actually have a problem with bobcats and foxes who've been getting more comfortable coming into the suburbs and killing dogs / cats during the night

I’m sure there’s other things I’ve left out, but with it being almost 4 AM I’m a bit out of it right now. I’m about to head off to bed but if there’s anything else I think of I’ll add it in the morning. Again any feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time to anyone who gave this a read / has feedback. I’ll be back in the morning to see if I got any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 04:17 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Your reaction to Winter in Denver will be: This is not Winter! You will tell your friends in Ohio that Winter in Denver is a tropical paradise.

Look at padmapper.com for rentals.

You will like it here. Denver is a growing, financially healthy city. Except for the snakes.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:39 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEtoDenver View Post
This is my first post on CD, and I’d appreciate any positive input. I’m a 24 year old male who just got out of school about a year and a half ago. I’m currently living in the Cleveland area (in a smaller town about 30 minutes south) and recently I’ve been offered a job transfer to Denver (around 1st avenue and University Boulevard) which I’m interested in. While I’ve never been to Denver, I’ve been doing some research and reading through some other threads and it seems like a great place to be.
The area where the job is located is just southeast of downtown called Cherry Creek. It is a pretty exclusive area adjacent to the Denver Country Club (lots of money) and near Washington Park and Congess Park neighborhoods. Homes in the area are pretty expensive with the low end being a $400k condo.

Quote:
My greatest concern is the cost of renting, as well as the overall cost of living compared to Cleveland. My girlfriend and I currently rent a three bedroom town home for 1100 a month (which I understand just isn’t possible in Denver) but we’re interested in finding a one/two bedroom apartment for 1200-1500 a month. Do you have any suggestions on places to check out? We don’t have any pets or kids. We both have reliable vehicles so being near public transportation isn’t really a huge deal to us, although it would be nice to not have to drive everywhere like we do now. We’d like to be in a walkable area with restaurants and stores around in a safe area (seems like all places are generally safe, but the less sketchy the better). We’re not really big on nightlife and the whole party scene anymore, and we’d actually prefer to be in a more quiet part of the city. Do you think that would have a huge impact on being able to meet and network with other people around our age?
Denver is very safe, especially compared to big cities in the east. Check out padmapper.com and you will find plenty in your price range. Stay towards the lower end as rents are rising rapidly. You do not want to get a $1500/month rental for a year only to have the rent go to $1700 next year and have to move out.

Quote:
Also how would you compare the winters in Denver to the winters in Cleveland? Here we get the wonderful lake effect snow, and with it being one of the cloudiest places in the US the snow doesn’t really have a chance to melt so we’re pretty much stuck with it until the spring. I know you guys get a decent amount of snow, but from my understanding it doesn’t stick around too long with the sun and the driving conditions are pretty safe if you’ve driven in the snow before. Is that a safe assumption?
Usually the snowstorms are not huge and most of the snow is melted within a couple of days. In my neighborhood, it snowed about 2-3 inches on Sunday/Monday. The snow in my south-facing front yard was totally gone today. The roads were icy and needed sanding on Monday (very little salt used here), but the ice has since melted away and the roads are dry.

Quote:
My next concern is my girlfriend just got her degree for middle childhood education (grades 6-8) with a concentration in math/science. I know the job market for teachers everywhere isn’t looking so hot right now, but do you think it’s any better or worse compared to the rest of the country? She also has got her coaching certificate and currently works as a high school gymnastics coach.
This is somewhat of a concern. Colorado does not have a middle school certification. You can be certified K-6 (elementary) or 6-12 (secondary). Additionally, teachers cannot major in "education." Teachers must have a content major -- especially if they are to be certified for secondary education. Talk to her about her program to find out more specifics. Also have her talk to her college school of education. They should know more about what might transfer and what won't.

There are many club gymnastics programs around, but very few high school programs around. Most HS gymnastic coaches do not work as teachers, but some do.

Quote:
This next question is pretty random, but please bear with me lol. Do you have any dangerous wildlife such as snakes, bears, big cats, or any poisonous spiders? I’m terrified of snakes. I know they probably aren’t in the city, but how about in the national parks or other areas? I know it seems ridiculous but I’m curious. Here we actually have a problem with bobcats and foxes who've been getting more comfortable coming into the suburbs and killing dogs / cats during the night
We don't have bobcats, we have coyotes. The western suburbs will get the occasional bear wandering around and very infrequently there will be a mountain lion (cougar) sighting as well. The coyotes and foxes live pretty much everywhere in the metro area, the rest live in the mountains and make the random visit during times when they need food (early spring, late fall).

Poisonous spiders? Check. Poisonous snakes? Check.

None of these pose a big enough problem that you should be worried about them, however you will see all of the above in the mountains except for the mountain lions. You will almost never see them. They, however, will see you, but attacks are nearly non-existent.

I’m sure there’s other things I’ve left out, but with it being almost 4 AM I’m a bit out of it right now. I’m about to head off to bed but if there’s anything else I think of I’ll add it in the morning. Again any feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time to anyone who gave this a read / has feedback. I’ll be back in the morning to see if I got any replies[/quote]

Post questions as needed. Someone here will answer.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:24 AM

387 posts, read 638,161 times
Quote:
\My greatest concern is the cost of renting, as well as the overall cost of living compared to Cleveland. My girlfriend and I currently rent a three bedroom town home for 1100 a month (which I understand just isn’t possible in Denver) but we’re interested in finding a one/two bedroom apartment for 1200-1500 a month. Do you have any suggestions on places to check out? We don’t have any pets or kids. We both have reliable vehicles so being near public transportation isn’t really a huge deal to us, although it would be nice to not have to drive everywhere like we do now. We’d like to be in a walkable area with restaurants and stores around in a safe area (seems like all places are generally safe, but the less sketchy the better). We’re not really big on nightlife and the whole party scene anymore, and we’d actually prefer to be in a more quiet part of the city. Do you think that would have a huge impact on being able to meet and network with other people around our age?
Look into the Belmar area of Lakewood. Lakewood is a western suburb of Denver, and Belmar is a designed walking community close to the center of city services. Lakewood does not have a quaint, older downtown like many suburbs (Arvada, Littleton, Golden) do, Belmar is a recent development that sort of fits city-center for Lakewood. I currently live in a 2-BR apartment, about 1100 sq. ft. My rent just went up with my lease renewal; it's a shade under $1700. I have a larger unit, there are smaller 2-BR's and 1 BR's that are less expensive. This is for a new building, excellent gym in the building, heated year-round pool, hot tub, on-site staffing, covered private parking. At our building, we have regular community get-togethers, just last night we had a festivus pole decorating party, along with airing of the grievances and feats of strength; last month we had a community-wide Bronco game potluck. And if you eventually want a pet, a VERY dog-friendly building, with everything from a chihuahua that only walks on her front legs, to a harlequin great dane named Moose.

From my building, I can walk to Belmar, which includes a Whole Foods, Target, many restaurants, a few nice spots to grab a drink, a movie theater, a bowling alley, and a whole slew of shops. In the winter, there's an ice skating rink. In the summer, there's a few festivals. You can also walk to the Lakewood library, the cultural center, and have quick access to numerous running/biking trails. There's a light rail stop, not really walking distance, but quite close,with covered free parking, so if you'd like to hit something downtown and don't want to park there, it's really easy to jump on the rail.

With all this going on, it's also relatively quiet and definitely safe. I walk all around the area after sunset, and NEVER feel unsafe. I'm about 2 blocks from the center of the shops/restaurants/etc., and I don't hear any noise from there at night. My building is mostly young professionals; in the roughly year I've lived there, I haven't had any problems with late night parties or anything like that. And your commute would be pretty easy; a straight shot down Alameda drops you into Cherry Creek, or you could take Highway 6; both are really convenient.

If you'd like to know my building, or a few others in the area, PM me, I'd be happy to share names.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:01 AM

Default Bears

Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 AM

You can live within a 6-mile radius of your work location and have a 20 minute commute.
We live 7.2 miles away and it takes 23 minutes to drive to 2nd & Detroit.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:43 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
As others have said, winters here will probably feel milder than Cleveland. Average wintertime highs are about 10 degrees warmer in Denver, and the city gets about a foot less snow on average than Cleveland does. Winters here also aren't as grey and gloomy as they are in the midwest. I work with 2 guys from Ohio - one from Dayton and the other from Columbus, and they always complain about how grey it is in OH compared to here.

Quote:
I've lived in Colorado for 18+ years and I've seen 3 or 4 snakes, tops, and none of them have been poisonous. We have prairie rattlers, but unless you do a lot of lower-elevation hiking you're more likely to run into a bullsnake or a garter snake than one of those.

Bears are usually found in the foothills and the western suburbs. Your odds of being attacked by one are exceedingly low.

Big cats - Mountain lion sightings are rare and typically confined to the foothills west and south of town. As davebarnes said, they're very reclusive animals. You may have one eyeing you without even realizing it. People are very rarely attacked and it usually happens when a) they accidentally encounter a female watching over young cubs, and b) they turn their back to the lion and attempt to run away.

Only one poisonous spider - the Western Black widow. Widow spiders are found across a vast majority of the US. Bites are painful and very rarely fatal. They don't typically come indoors. Their webs are commonly found in outbuildings (like garages) and are usually low to the ground. They aren't aggressive and will typically try to flee danger.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:44 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
There are 1BR apartments in the Cherry Creek area for $1500 a month.

I would try as hard as I could to find one. It's a great neighborhood with tons of shops, restaurants, and bars and you will be able to walk to work.

The Seasons has a 1BR for $1465.
The Seasons of Cherry Creek Apartments | Floor Plans and Pricing RedPeak

Old 12-24-2014, 11:07 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Smile OH vs CO

Quote:
This is my first post on CD, and I’d appreciate any positive input. I’m a 24 year old male who just got out of school about a year and a half ago. I’m currently living in the Cleveland area (in a smaller town about 30 minutes south)(Akron ?) and recently I’ve been offered a job transfer to Denver (around 1st avenue and University Boulevard) which I’m interested in. While I’ve never been to Denver, I’ve been doing some research and reading through some other threads and it seems like a great place to be.

When using Padmapper, consider the Glendale area around Alameda & Colorado Blvd. Lots of apartments that cater to 20-somethings. Also lots of shopping etc, and just a few minutes from 1st & Uni

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Glend...+Colorado&z=15

Or the Denver University area, straight south on Uni at Evans Av

Having lived in Akron, I can tell you the weather is completely different, both winter and summer. Due to lower humidity and higher elevation. Snow does not hang around all winter. They don't know the word "slush". Summers can be hot but dry. You won't sweat in the shower.

No help here

In general, wildlife is not a problem. In 38 years of camping and hiking, I've never had a problem. Did see a porcupine once in RMNP. The best part is no cockroaches, no silverfish, no mildew. Almost no mosquitoes. In the early spring, tics can be a problem in the mountains without proper precautions (Use repellant, long sleeves, no shorts, etc)

I’m sure there’s other things I’ve left out, but with it being almost 4 AM I’m a bit out of it right now. I’m about to head off to bed but if there’s anything else I think of I’ll add it in the morning. Again any feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time to anyone who gave this a read / has feedback. I’ll be back in the morning to see if I got any replies
Good Luck, you will love CO vs OH

Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM

Default Snakes

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver