Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:38 AM

124 posts, read 174,014 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Which n'hoods are not pop ups, ie houses that match, cheaply made, etc -- we are moving there in the next few months from godawful Socal and I am so sick of this type of soulless anodyne development (being from New England where structures are old, generally well built, and definitely never match) -- so I am trying to narrow down which n'hoods I research. We're also looking at Boulder area but I think this is less an issue there so I am only asking about Denver. Looking for older areas to live that aren't too pricey and are also safe and have some charm, goods for pets and kids, old trees too would be nice.

Also a random question - is there anyone on here who has grown up in the desert or anywhere very warm year round - how did you adjust to Co? Was it tough? I ask for my DH who is from the desert, never lived outside CA. Me, I love the snow so I cant wait!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
What is your price range? Are schools a concern? What about commute? Do you need to be near as specific location? There are a ton of neighborhoods that could fit the bill.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:25 PM

Thanks for your reply, MissTerri! School will be a concern but not right away (and we are looking initially for a rental). I work from home but my dh doesn't have a job yet so we don't know about the commute (when he does have one I don't want him to have a long commute as he doesn't know how to drive in the snow). Maybe I should have waited to ask but just trying to get a feel. Price up to 2k a month give or take, pref lower if possible, 2 - bedroom, doesn't need to be big or fancy. Safety is a big concern. Rather pay more and be in a safe n'hood where you can take the dogs out at night or run after dark. I like a kind of boho mixed feel -- too many years in nyc -- but not sure if that is there in Denver, so as long as it is safe and not all matchey/claptrap and sort of pretty that's fine.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
There are old Victorian styles in central Denver. Denver is not old like the east coast. So most the housing stock in last century. Try this one 463 Corona Street, Denver, CO 80218 | MLS 6629197 | Listing Information

Old 01-25-2015, 12:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Platte Park is family friendly with unique architecture. Washington Park as well (pricier then Platte). Also Park Hill, Congress Park, Highlands, Berkeley, Baker. Some of these areas are more family friendly then others but they are all pretty safe as long as you exercise some basic street smarts. Old Littleton, Old Englewood, Old Arvada also are good inner ring suburb choices with character and less expensive options. A lot of homes in Denver were built in the 50's, so lots of brick ranches all over the place but there are older neighborhoods with unique architecture all over the place.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:44 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
Which n'hoods are not pop ups, ie houses that match, cheaply made,
All Denver neighborhoods have this.
If you look closely, you can see (even in fancy Wash Park) where 10 houses in a row were all built in the same day in 1920.
That said, there are only a few places in the City & County of Denver where there are 100s of lookalike houses clumped together: Lowery, Stapleton, Montbello, Green Valley Ranch, Barnum.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
All Denver neighborhoods have this.
If you look closely, you can see (even in fancy Wash Park) where 10 houses in a row were all built in the same day in 1920.
That said, there are only a few places in the City & County of Denver where there are 100s of lookalike houses clumped together: Lowery, Stapleton, Montbello, Green Valley Ranch, Barnum.
Absolutely! When I was a visiting nurse, I always knew where the bathroom was in those old bungalows; didn't have to ask.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:50 PM

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your responses! I should have said older homes, not old, as I know everything out here in the west is newer than the NE. I just don't like the developments I see in SD, entire n'hoods where you only know where you live because of the number -- they are creepy to me, assembly line houses, too much of the stepford wife thing going on, so I am happier with the annoying quirks of an older home. Looking forward to Denver (or Boulder)!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
There are old Victorian styles in central Denver. Denver is not old like the east coast. So most the housing stock in last century. Try this one 463 Corona Street, Denver, CO 80218 | MLS 6629197 | Listing Information
Beautiful home, minus the wall to wall carpeting, but too huge & expensive & neighbors way too close for our tastes -- I have already done the cramped living in ny and here in sd and want space -- but it really is lovely am I am sure it'll sell in no time.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Some restrictions may apply

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
neighbors way too close
You just ruled out the entire City & County of Denver unless you have a ton of money.
This has the land you seek Denver Colorado Homes For Sale & Denver Real Estate - Zillow

You should be looking at houses in the inner-ring suburbs if you want "space".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver