Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:59 PM

12 posts, read 16,906 times

Advertisements

This is for people thinking of moving to the Denver area. We have been here for over 2 years and have decided to move back to Chicago in time for the horrible winter there.

What we loved about the area - exploring the mountains and different things to do, weather (I am under the impression that the wildfires are not normal even though they have been bad the last 2 years), landscape, 1st Fridays at the DAM, music scene

What we didn't love about the areas - couldn't find people that we could relate to. We have that down to earth Midwest attitude with a good dose of sarcastic humor. My husband and daughter are very outgoing and we tried going several groups and went to the functions but no luck. After being here for a couple of months, I had someone go off on me for moving here and not being a native. I later found out the person was not technically a native either since they move here when they were 3. People here are nice but we found it hard to really connect with people.

Other comments but not sure how to label - daughter thought there was too much sun. Restaurants cannot compete with Chicago which has force us to eat more at home (not really a bad thing). The liberals and conservative seems pretty equal but depends what area you move to (just a warning for people looking for one over the other).

I hope this helps for people thinking of moving to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 06:38 PM

324 posts, read 655,395 times
((waves good bye))

Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM

557 posts, read 811,500 times
I still didn't really read anything that would make me decide to move away. I gather from your post that the biggest thing was not being able to make friends? It's tough in a new place, and after 3 months, we really only have one couple that we've hung out with with any regularity. I've found that it usually happens organically, rather than meet up groups, whatever. Work, church, hobbies, etc. It'll happen. But if you've resigned to giving up, good luck back in Chicago.

P.S. Anybody "going off" on you anywhere for not being a "native" has their own issues. I would laugh, very hard, in that persons face.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM

324 posts, read 655,395 times
Her daughter thinks Colorado has too much sun.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Where did you live?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
I've had a hard time making friends here too, been here 6 years.

Never had that problem anywhere else, but it's probably just me.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:10 AM

387 posts, read 638,461 times
I'm surprised at the "hard time making friends" comments. I moved here in late May, my teen daughter followed when she finished her summer camps in late July. We moved from the Triangle area of NC, where we've been for 10 years. I'm originally from Nebraska.

I was never really able to make friends in NC. Not sure why, but often felt isolated, and lonely. But, within a few weeks of being in Denver, I was comfortable with my co-workers, and have made some great friends all over the place. Today, I have some new friends coming over, we're planning a day of football, corn mazes and pumpkin patches (if it doesn't rain), chili and board games. My car battery died the other day at the grocery store, and it took one phone call to a friend to have them come give me a jump. I never had that in NC.

My daughter has made great friends in her school orchestra, and is already pretty involved in various school activities...enough so that I'm running around with her after work at minimum 3 days a week (she's 15...I CANNOT WAIT for her to get her license so I can get a break!). Of course, it might help that she attends Lakewood HS, and the Katy Perry Lipdub contest and win has really opened up school for her. In NC, she really didn't want to get involved in stuff, and never attended a pep rally (she's a musician, and not an athlete). Here, she was asking to go to school at 4 or 5 AM for things, and talks about her friends all the time.

We love it here. I cannot imagine ever wanting to be someplace else. Yesterday, while waiting for a friend with the dead car, the daughter said she feels happy, and even hanging out in the sunshine waiting for a jump start was better than a great day in NC. It's just different somehow. But we really feel home, and making some great friends has really contributed to that.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 22,962 times
Denver has been an incredible experience so far and I would do it all over again but like you we plan on moving back to NYC in a few months. We have realized life is not about living near pretty mountains but rather experiencing life with those you care about - your friends and family. The job market has also been pretty dismal here compared to what were used to. Don't let posts discourage you though, these things you have to figure out and experience for yourself.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 AM

850 posts, read 796,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKleindienst View Post
Denver has been an incredible experience so far and I would do it all over again but like you we plan on moving back to NYC in a few months. We have realized life is not about living near pretty mountains but rather experiencing life with those you care about - your friends and family. The job market has also been pretty dismal here compared to what were used to. Don't let posts discourage you though, these things you have to figure out and experience for yourself.
I hear from alot people about the scarcity of the job market in Denver, why do so many people move there, do they like skiing that much or is it the free pot or do they like making min wage.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
I hear from alot people about the scarcity of the job market in Denver, why do so many people move there, do they like skiing that much or is it the free pot or do they like making min wage.
I've heard actually just the opposite. A city with a lot of potential for personal and professional developmenbt and growth.....Far more potential than Charlotte, NC which is where I am located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver