Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 02:07 PM

66 posts, read 161,414 times

Advertisements

Starting to look at various builder communities between Denver and Boulder. Just wondering if there is a site that rates or offers feedback on the reputation and/or quality of construction for the various builders. There are so many!

So far I am considering Ryland and Century. However, I'd love to learn if they build a solid product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 02:21 PM

694 posts, read 1,040,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1248 View Post
Starting to look at various builder communities between Denver and Boulder. Just wondering if there is a site that rates or offers feedback on the reputation and/or quality of construction for the various builders. There are so many!

So far I am considering Ryland and Century. However, I'd love to learn if they build a solid product.
What one person may find acceptable, another may not. 30 yrs ago Pulte was consdered garbage by almost everyone. However, a friend bought a house by them and he loved it. Never had a problem.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:47 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
It's more important to have the home inspected by an engineer than to choose a builder based on other peoples subjective opinions.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
I think it's really almost the luck of the draw in terms of the individual superintendent and subcontractors you end up with. It's hard to say any particular builder is better or worse than another because every experience and individual home build is different.

I went with KB Homes in my build (no other options in my price range for my desired location anyway), and while I had some issues, it was all on finish work, and I feel comfortable about the structure itself, as did my home inspector. I did a foundation/pre-drywall inspection as well as a final inspection.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,083,525 times
Are you looking at single family or attached homes (townhome or duplex)? I do know that Century is involved in some lawsuits filed over their townhome product in a few different locations due to major drainage issues because of how they laid out their buildings and improper consideration of drainage runoff. Something to keep in mind. Not sure if they've had any issues with their single family stuff. I don't know of any major problems with other builders in the area but as someone alluded to before it really comes down to the community and who the individual construction superintendent and subcontractors are and how vigilant the building inspectors are in whatever municipality/county you happen to be building in.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 PM

403 posts, read 760,032 times
Just a suggestion, but maybe you might look into resales that are 3-5 years old in some of big box developer communities. That way you can find a home that still has modern finishes, but the settling will have taken place. Most often, you can get more upgrades (custom paint and flooring), a bigger deck or patio, and a landscaped yard in a resale. Otherwise, you pay through the nose for that with new construction or have to hire someone else to do those things after you move in.

It's not unheard of for builders to have a 12-15 month waitlist and lottery for new construction in the metro Denver area. Supply is lagging behind demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: