Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:52 PM

557 posts, read 811,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
This is key. Fortunately, I live in a 1-BR on the outskirts of Denver and have a cheaper apartment, so I can save a little bit better than my peers living in $1000-$1500/mo places closer to the city center. However, I'm still paying about $850/mo (including utilities) for the cheap apartment. That doesn't seem very cheap to me considering where I live (broken down property with no amenities essentially in suburbia).

As a first time Millennial home buyer myself, I can say that it's still extremely difficult to find townhomes and condos that are affordable, not to mention "starter" homes. I just put two offers on "starter" homes today that are priced at $180k to $200k. These houses are small (less than 800 sq ft) and need a bunch of work inside and outside. These are not "starter" home prices where I come from, but oh well I guess. Townhomes and condos are not necessarily an easier go-to option either, because even when you find one in your price range, HOA fees (typically around $200-$300 from what I'm seeing) tend to make the monthly payment less affordable.

It's tough for me to try to save money here while living a relatively normal social life, and I'm making around $61k ($67k w/ bonus) per year. I can't imagine doing it on $45k/yr.
The millennial growth pattern isn't slowing (really, that article I shared is an interesting read). That's likely where the dramatic shortage of rentals is coming from. You'll soon see that translate in to what emm is describing. The condo market is going to become even stronger, especially anywhere near downtown, as millennials become established in their respective careers, get raises and promotions, etc. but aren't yet ready to "settle down" to the suburbs, if ever. Cityscapes are changing.

It's all relative. You (I) pay those HOA fees to take care of maintenance, heat, water, and the like. Plus, much lower homeowner's insurance premiums than a SFH. 180-200k would get a nice condo very near downtown with amenities, which, at least thus far, has appreciated just as fast as a SFH by percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
It's all relative. You (I) pay those HOA fees to take care of maintenance, heat, water, and the like. Plus, much lower homeowner's insurance premiums than a SFH. 180-200k would get a nice condo very near downtown with amenities, which, at least thus far, has appreciated just as fast as a SFH by percent.
Have you been shopping around? I am, and I strongly disagree with this statement. I lost out on a 2-BR townhome at Quebec and Iliff for close to $200k, no amenities besides a swimming pool. The asking price was $170k. Whatever you're seeing them listed at, add on $10k-$20k to the final price. Because that's what's happening here as a result of all the bidding wars that are taking place here. A girl on my kickball team told me is took her eight offers until someone finally accepted one of her bids.

I don't know what you're definition of nice is, but any nice condo near downtown is probably going to be closer to $250k-$300k, and that's probably for a 500-600 square foot efficiency condo. $180k-$200k is in my price range, and my realtor has not found me anything near downtown for that price (townhome/condo/SFH).

Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 PM

557 posts, read 811,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Have you been shopping around? I am, and I strongly disagree with this statement. I lost out on a 2-BR townhome at Quebec and Iliff for close to $200k, no amenities besides a swimming pool. The asking price was $170k. Whatever you're seeing them listed at, add on $10k-$20k to the final price. Because that's what's happening here as a result of all the bidding wars that are taking place here. A girl on my kickball team told me is took her eight offers until someone finally accepted one of her bids.

I don't know what you're definition of nice is, but any nice condo near downtown is probably going to be closer to $250k-$300k, and that's probably for a 500-600 square foot efficiency condo. $180k-$200k is in my price range, and my realtor has not found me anything near downtown for that price (townhome/condo/SFH).
Not 500 sqft, but sure, it depends. Not sure what size outside of 600-750 you're expecting at that price point in a location near downtown though. Certainly not a 2bdr, unless it needs a lot of work. That price point is for a single or a couple "space", no kids, 1bdr. True, everyone's definition of nice is different. "Nice" meaning not seedy, and move in ready with some amenities.

I live just north and east of Governor's Park in Capitol Hill. I'd say our unit and building is above average, nice decent sized 1bdr, in a nice building, with good amenities. We're not talking Beauvallon crazy prices, but not a two story house divided in to 10 units with zero amenities either. I follow the RE in our area, and have since we moved in a 1 1/2 years ago. Units in our building are going for ~$300 - 330 sqft.

Super quick search just around Cap Hill, using just one listing site:

180k, 692 sqft, $260 sqft, good amenities (rooftop pools and patios are present on some buildings around here, but not even close to a majority of them - very nice perk)

1029 East 8th Avenue #203, Denver, CO For Sale | Trulia.com

Want a nicer one in the same building, with parking ($291 sqft, 200k)?

1029 East 8th Avenue #1105, Denver, CO For Sale | Trulia.com

Here's an updated, two story building (yes, it's 601 sqft, listed at 174k):

1045 N Clarkson Street #208, Denver, CO For Sale | Trulia.com

622 sqft at 159k ($256 sqft):

1196 North Grant Street #507, Denver, CO For Sale | Trulia.com

Can I offer some advice? Don't rely on your realtor to find the properties for you. They are working on x number of additional clients. You are working for you. Do your own research, daily, on multiple sites, compile a list, and send an email to your realtor with the listings saying you want to look at xyz tomorrow. If you know where you want to be, subscribe to the daily alert for listings in that area, and act fast if you see one that intrigues you. We got incredibly lucky following this model, finding our unit the day it was listed (because of an email alert), and looked at it the next day. What's that saying though? Something about luck and preparation and opportunity being related? Happy hunting

Last edited by JD401; 06-08-2015 at 11:16 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 07:25 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,701 times
Denver has a inferiority complex. It has gotten used to minimal y/y housing price gains. You don't see 15 page threads in the Miami, SF, LA, DC, San Diego and Boston forums about them experiencing a bubble, yet they are up 30-60% more than Denver since 2000.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:25 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Denver has a inferiority complex. It has gotten used to minimal y/y housing price gains. You don't see 15 page threads in the Miami, SF, LA, DC, San Diego and Boston forums about them experiencing a bubble, yet they are up 30-60% more than Denver since 2000.
Yeah, but we're Denver. Remember? Cowtown and all that.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Ooh head-on insult. I like it.

Who cares about such a long period? People that could not stand the housing cost inflation in the aforementioned cities have moved on a long time ago. It's the recent events that attract attention and discussion. Now, how have those cities compared to Denver in the past 3 years?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:21 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert5 View Post
you don't see 15 page threads in the miami, sf, la, dc, san diego and boston forums about them experiencing a bubble, yet they are up 30-60% more than denver since 2000.
Is the Denver housing market experiencing a bubble?-cs_selectedcities_2015may.png

Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Love it! The scale on the left hand side isn't the same for all of them. If it was you would really see some differentiation.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM

2,280 posts, read 3,079,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Love it! The scale on the left hand side isn't the same for all of them. If it was you would really see some differentiation.
I think the key takeaway is that Denver is the only one with pricing above it's pre-recession level. San Fran is the only one getting close, and yes, that market is really hot right now.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:11 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
I almost want to see a bubble bust in the Denver Metro because I'm tired of hearing about how fantastic Denver is all over the internet from people who don't even live there..., but I'm too nice to wish that upon the residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver