Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,382 times

Advertisements

Hi there, me and my fiance are moving out to CO in the next couple months, and we're initially just looking to rent for a year then buy. No kids, but we have a dog so we were hoping to find somewhere with at least a small fenced in yard, or nearby dog friendly areas. I originally started looking in Aurora because I wanted the yard, and attached garage, but I've started to hear there are a lot of spotty areas. We don't want to do an apartment so I know that limits our options. However, we are not concerned about being in or just outside the city (within 20-30 min of the city is fine)

What other options are out there, or what are the "good" neighborhoods in Aurora? Stapleton and Lowry were recommended. Would like to keep it within 20-30 min from Anschutz. I heard there is a Tech Center area, too which would be good for me as I'm an engineer and will be looking for work. Budget would probably be $2100/month, but I'd prefer to keep it lower than that

Any help would be much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 03:35 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocated_yankee View Post
Hi there, me and my fiance are moving out to CO in the next couple months, and we're initially just looking to rent for a year then buy. No kids, but we have a dog so we were hoping to find somewhere with at least a small fenced in yard, or nearby dog friendly areas. I originally started looking in Aurora because I wanted the yard, and attached garage, but I've started to hear there are a lot of spotty areas. We don't want to do an apartment so I know that limits our options. However, we are not concerned about being in or just outside the city (within 20-30 min of the city is fine)

What other options are out there, or what are the "good" neighborhoods in Aurora? Stapleton and Lowry were recommended. Would like to keep it within 20-30 min from Anschutz. I heard there is a Tech Center area, too which would be good for me as I'm an engineer and will be looking for work. Budget would probably be $2100/month, but I'd prefer to keep it lower than that

Any help would be much appreciated!
Aurora's a city of 350,000 people that's geographically the same size as Denver. There are bad parts and great parts. To grossly generalize, South Aurora is nice whereas North Aurora isn't - I think of Mississippi Ave as being the dividing line. I wouldn't hesitate living anywhere in Aurora south of Mississippi Ave, and you should be able to find a place with a yard there in your budget.

I doubt you'll be able to find what you're looking for in your budget in Stapleton or Lowry (if you can, jump on it) or even the Tech Center. Plus any traffic or bad weather from the Tech Center will result in a commute of more than 30 minutes.

If I were you, I would look in Aurora somewhere around the I-225 and Parker Rd / Peoria St interchange. It would be a super easy commute (especially next year once the light right runs from the Park-n-Ride there to the Anschutz Campus), there's light rail access to downtown, and it's very close to a large off-leash dog area at the Cherry Creek State Park.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Dog Off-Leash Area

Old 04-19-2015, 09:34 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Green Valley Ranch, Aurora are pretty close.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Lots of very nice, safe communities in SE Aurora that would provide a reasonable commute to the medical campus.

Some examples:

Houses For Rent - 6 Homes | Zillow

Houses For Rent - 4 Homes | Zillow

Houses For Rent - 2 Homes | Zillow

Old 04-20-2015, 12:10 PM

322 posts, read 525,007 times
$2100 per month is going to be on the very low end to find a single family detached home in Stapleton (w/ a yard). If you want to forgo the yard, the Stapleton Apartments (Stapleton Apartments) allow pets in all of their properties. Both Crescent Flats and Botanica Town Center are close to the Stapleton Dog Park.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 PM

52 posts, read 81,565 times
I pay $2400 to rent a 3BR single family house in Stapleton. My former neighbors who just bought (a few blocks away, still in Stapleton) divulged that they were renting the same floorplan house literally two doors down from me for $2200. So it's possible if you stretch just a tiny bit.

The commute to Anschutz and the family friendly environment (parks, more parks, and pools, too, besides the demographics of having a lot of families with young kids) are what drew me to Stapleton, and I'm planning on building here myself.

I wouldn't want to commute from DTC to Anschutz, but several of my co-workers do, from Centennial and Lone Tree, even. I value my time too highly to spend it in a car.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:43 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
I pay $2400 to rent a 3BR single family house in Stapleton. My former neighbors who just bought (a few blocks away, still in Stapleton) divulged that they were renting the same floorplan house literally two doors down from me for $2200. So it's possible if you stretch just a tiny bit.
As someone who lives in Stapleton, I must admit I am a bit surprised at the costs to rent a single family home. Like Claire S., I would have guessed it was higher, more like $2,700-3K.

OP, that being the case, if the above amounts are in your budget, you really can't beat Stapleton for its commute and amenities. Lowry would also be worth a look. Now, neither of these neighborhoods offer much in the way of nightlife or urban feel, but both are only a 15 minute drive from downtown on a weekend night. It's a good balance.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:59 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
As someone who lives in Stapleton, I must admit I am a bit surprised at the costs to rent a single family home. Like Claire S., I would have guessed it was higher, more like $2,700-3K.

OP, that being the case, if the above amounts are in your budget, you really can't beat Stapleton for its commute and amenities. Lowry would also be worth a look. Now, neither of these neighborhoods offer much in the way of nightlife or urban feel, but both are only a 15 minute drive from downtown on a weekend night. It's a good balance.
Our next door neighbors had to leave the country for a few years so rented out their house... for $4200 a month

Old 04-23-2015, 03:07 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I agree, I'm surprised at the 2200 for a detached single family with 3 bedrooms. I live in a paired home, and while they were brand new construction which possibly increased the price a little bit, there are some on my block that rented out for more than that just a couple of months ago.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:15 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Our next door neighbors had to leave the country for a few years so rented out their house... for $4200 a month
Well, there's a premium to be paid for living next to you, denverian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver