Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 05:52 PM

557 posts, read 812,347 times

Advertisements

https://transportevolved.com/2015/06...in-california/

"Unveiling his design in a preliminary technical paper called Hyperloop Alpha, Musk set out the idea for a transport system which used a series of partially-evacuated elevated cylindrical tubes, large enough for a specially-designed capsule to fit inside. Powered by solar panels set on top of the roof of the tube and set in motion by a linear electric motor set into the tube itself the capsules would travel on a cushion of air at speeds of up to 800 miles per hour, he theorised."

"Enter Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT), a company formed by JumpStarter Inc. CEO Dirk Ahlborn to specifically turn Elon Musk’s idea into reality. Not to be confused with Hyperloop Technologies — a completely separate firm following the same dream — HTT says it has secured the necessary agreements needed to break ground on a five-mile test track near the town of Quay Valley, California.

Located alongside Interstate 5, Ahlborn told National Geographic that construction on the track should be finished by 2017, with the five-mile stretch ready to accept passengers by 2018."

It will be interesting to watch the development of the test track. Futurama, here we come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,005,492 times
The biggest problem I see with this and some current public transit is what do you do once you get to your destination?

Let's say this system ran from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs. I live in Littleton and I want to head to Colorado Springs for the day. Great, I could take this system to get there, and then I'm basically stuck within walking distance of wherever the destination station is.

I couldn't go to Cave of the Winds, Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs, etc... without renting a car, taking a cab or similar.

This kind of thing could work maybe connecting NYC to DC, places that have well established subways and transit where you can actually get around and do things.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 AM

557 posts, read 812,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
The biggest problem I see with this and some current public transit is what do you do once you get to your destination?

Let's say this system ran from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs. I live in Littleton and I want to head to Colorado Springs for the day. Great, I could take this system to get there, and then I'm basically stuck within walking distance of wherever the destination station is.

I couldn't go to Cave of the Winds, Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs, etc... without renting a car, taking a cab or similar.

This kind of thing could work maybe connecting NYC to DC, places that have well established subways and transit where you can actually get around and do things.
I think that's maybe where something like Uber or other ride sharing sharing programs might come in to play. Or a car2go or something similar station? I notice that the rental companies are even testing the waters in to the "self-rent-pay-as-you-go" model. But that's a good point overall.

I was thinking, what if somehow these could be used for inner city destinations, not just along corridors? What if a practical alternative could be developed to get you from the corridor to an inner area. That's one of the huge limitations of our light rail. Elevating lines would be cheaper than burying, and would solve traffic pattern dilemmas in such a scenario. Beautification and congruence with neighborhoods would be a hindering point made, but it's an interesting concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver