Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:20 PM

74 posts, read 85,072 times

Advertisements

I've been looking around on here alot in the past 4 months due to the fact that iam wanting to move here and stay here and call it home but one thing I've noticed is that when it comes to houswing people act like you can't find a house in the sub 300k range that's well kept and in a nice neighborhood, maybe not the fanciest and hip neighborhoods but a good one to atleast raise a family. I've found several houses for 250k to low 300ks in nice areas like arvada Westminister parts of lakewood littleton even university hills and dome in highlands ranch, their not brand new except highlands ranch but thy seem like they'd be a nice place to live. Is this people being snobby and elitism mix with keeping up with joneses or is it something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
I've been looking around on here alot in the past 4 months due to the fact that iam wanting to move here and stay here and call it home but one thing I've noticed is that when it comes to houswing people act like you can't find a house in the sub 300k range that's well kept and in a nice neighborhood, maybe not the fanciest and hip neighborhoods but a good one to atleast raise a family. I've found several houses for 250k to low 300ks in nice areas like arvada Westminister parts of lakewood littleton even university hills and dome in highlands ranch, their not brand new except highlands ranch but thy seem like they'd be a nice place to live. Is this people being snobby and elitism mix with keeping up with joneses or is it something else
Unfortunately it is true, the market is crazy. A house listed for 250k on Wednesday in a decent enough location (not top location, just safe and somewhat near Denver) will be under contract for 280k at least by Thursday. Maybe when things cool off a bit you will be able to find something but right now there are very few deals to be had in Denver.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 PM

Yeah I know how hot the market is there but iam one of those people who doesn't need a giant 400k +house to feel like my life is great, I guess I got use to living below our means at my dad's stuff like that doesn't do much for me, that's why the 250 to low 300s doesn't bother me at all. Also what does under contract mean?, never owned a house before

Old 06-18-2015, 12:57 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,475 times
Quote:
Yeah I know how hot the market is there but iam one of those people who doesn't need a giant 400k +house to feel like my life is great, I guess I got use to living below our means at my dad's stuff like that doesn't do much for me, that's why the 250 to low 300s doesn't bother me at all. Also what does under contract mean?, never owned a house before
I think you need to do some actual house shopping yourself before you start making judgment calls about people who've shared their experiences here about house shopping. You sound very, very young, and perhaps a bit out of touch with what is versus what's ideal.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
You also can't tell things just from a listing.

For instance

3499 S Dahlia Street, Denver, CO | MLS 5762669 | Listing Information

University Hills, for under 300K. But it's at the corner of Hampden and Dahila. Hampden is a very busy street, and that makes it a less than desireable house for many.

This is the intersection that house is on.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6531...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Know before you go show. First, talk to a local real estate broker about your housing needs. They may recommend a lender, or three to interview.

Speak honestly about your finances and listen to the options available for you. Know your credit scores. Once you have chosen a lender and get your pre-approval letter, it's time to start looking with your broker.

When you identify the house you'd like, make your best offer. There may not be time to make a better offer, later.

Be prepared to lose a few offers in this market.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:13 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,159 times
Quote:
Under contract means the seller has accepted the offer and the house is going through the process of sale (inspection, financing, etc). It means no offers will be accepted until this current deal (which is pending, another term you might find that means under contract) falls through.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You also can't tell things just from a listing.

For instance

3499 S Dahlia Street, Denver, CO | MLS 5762669 | Listing Information

University Hills, for under 300K. But it's at the corner of Hampden and Dahila. Hampden is a very busy street, and that makes it a less than desireable house for many.

This is the intersection that house is on.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6531...8i6656!6m1!1e1
I happen to know exactly where that is and yes its very busy and that would make it less then desirable for alot of people but that also could mean a great deal if that didn't bother someone and if it was taken care of. On a side note I love that neighborhood, sad those post war homes are being torn down and mcmansion replacing them they look tacky.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:43 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
I happen to know exactly where that is and yes its very busy and that would make it less then desirable for alot of people but that also could mean a great deal if that didn't bother someone and if it was taken care of. On a side note I love that neighborhood, sad those post war homes are being torn down and mcmansion replacing them they look tacky.
It's not a good deal if you ever have to sell it. Even in this crazy market, that house has been sitting on the market since October 2014!!

Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 PM

Wow, I can understand that its got a major fault in being there but it's been on the market that long? Is something like that a turn off for alot of people even though people complain about no affordable houseing. Does the fact of being an end house near a major road way in denver mean that much to people, sorry for being clueless iam 24, don't have kids and live in wichita ks, maybe I just don't get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver