Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 06:59 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,972,666 times

Advertisements

Really new to all the bustle in the greater Denver housing market. Things have really taken off.

Been living in both the mountains and greater Denver for several years. Slowly moving out of Denver area home.

Can I ethically gather information here? Or do I immediately have to plunge into Craigslist?

A bad room mate can really damage your life. But the rental market is so strong that I should take a chance.

I have a 3 bedroom ranch built in 1977. I am there about 10 days/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 01:11 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,131,592 times
Here is the pitfall that I see:

You will be there only 1/3 of the time. The person you have rented a "room" to will be there full time. Sooner or later this person will take over the house. The roommate will not just hang out in his room while you are gone. He will using the kitchen, the living room, watching TV, having friends over, etc., and when you show up, you may not like roommate's lifestyle or friends, but you can't really kick them out either.

I'd rent the entire house and use some of the rent money to stay in a hotel while I am in town. Probably come out ahead that way anyway.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,972,666 times
Good points, it will take quite some time to move everything out. I've had five businesses and always spent every dime on equipment. Then I couldn't get rid of a lot of my folks stuff for largely sentimental reasons.

They are free to use the kitchen and living room. Making themselves at home. Unfortunately I have found that deadbeats do more hanging out with friends than stellar citizens.

This search is new. Hope to learn here and get some good ideas. A bad room mate can reek havoc with ones life.

The whole house should be available for rent in about a year... Had no plans to rent a room until I heard about Denver rental rates.

Good news:
safe neighborhood-some don't lock their doors
one mile from the platte river and its trail
1 1/2 miles from the city "train" to downtown
close to two libraries, theater, and much shopping
good location
deep back yard
granite counters and stainless steel appliances
well mannered medium sized dog is ok

Bad news:
have too much stuff but I am working on that
I am not cool about parties and drugs etc.
Have not had room mates for over 30 years. Big adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Here is the pitfall that I see:

You will be there only 1/3 of the time. The person you have rented a "room" to will be there full time. Sooner or later this person will take over the house. The roommate will not just hang out in his room while you are gone. He will using the kitchen, the living room, watching TV, having friends over, etc., and when you show up, you may not like roommate's lifestyle or friends, but you can't really kick them out either.

I'd rent the entire house and use some of the rent money to stay in a hotel while I am in town. Probably come out ahead that way anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver