Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 AM

24 posts, read 53,430 times

Advertisements

I know many people are transplants to Denver. How is it moving away from family? I don't think I will mind that much, since my family is not that close and with moving 15x in 20 years my friends aren't the closest either. (I might feel differently once I actually do this though).

However, my bf couldn't be any tighter with his family. He wanted to move there before we even met, so I know he is interested. I just don't know how hard it will be for either of us. I'm 25, he's 36. He was born in bolivia, moved here around 16 and has lived in the same town/area since. So he's already moved from friends/fam, but a LARGE number of his family lives here.

I want to live there mainly for the climate. When I am not comfortable, I am not happy. The lack of sun here, frigid winters, rainy spring, humid summers....oh the wonderful fall that last a few short weeks =)....it makes me depressed and I long for the nice weather that actually brings a smile to my face. I'm sure Denver isn't perfect, but I think I would be more comfortable there.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 64,015 times
I want to move to Denver too, but it will be Dallas instead and I will have to console myself with vacations in the mountains. At least we are leaving VA. Good luck with your move!

Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM

792 posts, read 2,874,930 times
I think climate is one of the sensible reasons to move to Denver, so long as you know what you're in for. I think most people who like four seasons like Denver's weather, and many like it a whole lot.

But there are downsides: the sun can be uncomfortably hot in summer - yeah, yeah, you have been outside in the summer, I know, but trust me, Denver's sun is significantly hotter than Boston's. There's also very, very little rain, which means very little green, a lot brown, no fog, and pretty much none of those wonderful days with atmosphere, character, and personality. And the winters can get quite cold.

But for me, there are more days in Denver when I'm chuffed about the weather than anywhere else I've lived.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I think climate is one of the sensible reasons to move to Denver, so long as you know what you're in for. I think most people who like four seasons like Denver's weather, and many like it a whole lot.

But there are downsides: the sun can be uncomfortably hot in summer - yeah, yeah, you have been outside in the summer, I know, but trust me, Denver's sun is significantly hotter than Boston's. There's also very, very little rain, which means very little green, a lot brown, no fog, and pretty much none of those wonderful days with atmosphere, character, and personality. And the winters can get quite cold.

But for me, there are more days in Denver when I'm chuffed about the weather than anywhere else I've lived.
Yeah, but you don't get that god-awful humidity that you get in the Northeast. And the cold isn't really that bad (especially without the humidity) - moreover it only lasts a few days at a time, usually. I went to school in New Hampshire, and THAT is a miserable kind of cold.

As for being away from family, well, I grew up 34 years (except for college) surrounded by my extended family. I'm the first one on my mother's side of the family to leave our area. It's been... freeing. If he's at all chaving at having them all right there, he might enjoy the change.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:07 PM

704 posts, read 1,793,102 times
Denver is a very different place from Boston. And there are many other sunny, warm cities in the country that would be more like Boston. Leaving your family is really hard, and it's a bad idea if you're headed for a place you won't like.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM

47 posts, read 94,511 times
Depends on the individual, of course, but my girlfriend is the same way as your boyfriend. She's from Long Island and her family is the type to call each other up at least every other day and if something big is happening then it's non-stop. We met in Florida where some of her family lives. It took her a few months to get used to not being on the east coast relatively near her family and she contemplated moving back to Florida. BUT, now she loves it here and wouldn't dream of leaving.

One thing to keep in mind with Denver is that plane tickets are quite inexpensive to either coast. For $250 or so round-trip you can be on a non-stop flight back to the east coast.

Another thing to keep in mind that no place is perfect. Everywhere you go there will be trade-offs and compromises, things you have to look past. You just gotta figure out what's most important to you. If you love Boston's urban culture and deep history, you might be a little disappointed with Denver. Colorado does have great weather (and it's unpredictable, too, which is cool), but the trade-off there is that for the majority of the year there's not much green, and fires seem to happen all the time in the area. But the mountains are accessible and, if that's not your thing, there's plenty of outside things to do in Denver itself. Try to live in the city versus a suburb.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
I'm a transplant to Denver from Virginia. It's tough being away from my family. Every single one of my family members lives in the same town except for me. It's not easy being gone but I didn't want to live in VA anymore. I don't know if I will stay here, but I'm glad I gave it a shot. With cell phones, skype, face time, etc. it's a lot easier to stay in touch.

Denver weather is...okay. It's sunny a lot more often than on the east coast, but it does get very cold and dry. It's not humid in the summer, however the sun does get VERY hot. Maybe because of the elevation? My skin is always dry...my hair is dry...my lips are dry. Everything is dry here! And the landscape is brown most of the time.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM

47 posts, read 94,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Denver weather is...okay. It's sunny a lot more often than on the east coast, but it does get very cold and dry. It's not humid in the summer, however the sun does get VERY hot. Maybe because of the elevation? My skin is always dry...my hair is dry...my lips are dry. Everything is dry here! And the landscape is brown most of the time.
This is all very true. To the OP, it all depends on what you like. I'm a native Floridian and can't stand the humidity there, or on the east coast in general. Colorado is about the polar opposite of that. Very dry, but I definitely got used to it in a few weeks. My lips aren't persistently chapped anymore, and in general I never notice the dryness except for in the middle of the night when I wake up completely dehydrated. You might wanna consider the west coast if green scenery or big urban downtowns interest you. The weather in northern California (San Francisco, in particular) is mild all year round and not all that humid (besides the fog). The main drawbacks there are that it'll be even further from family, plane tickets will be more expensive, and the cost of living is way higher.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default See a shrink before moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakes86 View Post
Any thoughts, suggestions?
You do not need moving advice from strangers.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You do not need moving advice from strangers.
I think a lot of us can offer up our experiences.

Here's mine:

Many people will say they will visit you here, but few will come, and very few will come more than once, except for your parents and possibly your siblings.

Every trip to Boston will require extensive planning on your part, icluding getting the time off from work. Flying out takes the better part of a day each way. People will expect you to go there b/c you'll be able to visit multiple people, instead of them coming out here just to see you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: