Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

Denver is not a "plains" city. When people in Denver go to recreate, they don't go to Limon or Lamar. The entire city is geared toward the mountains. From my office, I look out and see rising hills with houses on them, two skylines, mountains for miles... To take this beautiful view and claim it's a view of "the plains" or the Midwest is ridiculous.
So then Albuquerque is not a desert city because people go to the adjacent Sandia mountains to recreate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,772 times
Wow 10 pages of nothing.... Who cares call it whatever you want. People get offended that's their problem. I fail to see a good reason for the bickering.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,143 times
Quote:
".. on a clear day" lol! You make it sound like Denver is where Limon is located Yes, "on a clear day", you can see the mountains from Limon. Barely. Downtown Denver is about as close to mountains as downtown L.A. And not many people live out on the plains so far east that they can't see mountains. The majority of Coloradans live along the base of the Rockies - or up in them.

Denver is not a "plains" city. When people in Denver go to recreate, they don't go to Limon or Lamar. The entire city is geared toward the mountains. From my office, I look out and see rising hills with houses on them, two skylines, mountains for miles... To take this beautiful view and claim it's a view of "the plains" or the Midwest is ridiculous.
Well said.

The only thing I care about east of Denver is the airport. I rarely ever hear of people driving east for the weekend. Great plains or whatnot.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:37 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 180,901 times
Quote:
The culture in KC is absolutely unlike Denver. People in KC are overall, conservative, opposed to progress, not into fitness, slower-paced. A fun night out is eating 3000 calories of greasy barbeque, catching a Royals game, and swatting mosquitoes! It's rarely pleasant to be outdoors in KC. It's a smaller city, slower paced, and not much of an urban environment.
According to the Bay Area Center for Voting Research, Colorado is certainly conservative state. Not that they put Colorado and Kansas together as part of the mid-west (as apposed to Midwest). "Altogether, the top twenty-five most conservative cities are composed of twelve cities from the West: severn cities from California, three from Arizona, and two from Utah. There are two cities from the mid-west that are located in Colorado and Kansas."

You might have a point on the fitness piece, though. According to the American Fitness Index by the American College of Sports Medicine (2015 survey), Here are the top 9 fittest cities in America.

1. Washington, D.C. Washington, D.C.
2. Minneapolis, MN. ...
3. San Diego, CA. ...
4. San Francisco, CA. ...
5. Sacramento, CA
6. Denver, CO. ...
7. Portland, OR. ...
8. Seattle, WA
9. San Jose, CA

You are right, no KC on that list.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:06 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
According to the Bay Area Center for Voting Research, Colorado is certainly conservative state. Not that they put Colorado and Kansas together as part of the mid-west (as apposed to Midwest). "Altogether, the top twenty-five most conservative cities are composed of twelve cities from the West: severn cities from California, three from Arizona, and two from Utah. There are two cities from the mid-west that are located in Colorado and Kansas."
Your source material for this is from a 2005 report

https://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman...081205libs.pdf

from an institution that put itself up for sale on eBay.

Ebay - Voting Research

Old 07-30-2015, 03:10 PM

402 posts, read 369,234 times
Quote:
Uhh, reading comprehension fail. The study said (in 2005) that Colorado Springs is a conservative city, not that Colorado is a conservative state.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 PM

117 posts, read 138,518 times
Apple Tree is the most worthless poster on the Denver forum. After reading through a little of this person's rhetoric, I'm thoroughly convinced that he/she has never lived in Denver.

Mountains are only viewable from Denver on a clear day??! I can clearly see the mountains (large and highly visible) behind the city skyline of downtown from my balcony. I live midway between Denver and Aurora and they're hard to miss.

This alone tells me everything I need to know about Apple Tree's trolling self. Your posts are incredibly dubious. You're not convincing anyone here that you're an expert on Denver.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
I see Denver having much more in common with Kansas City than, say, Seattle. Denver and KC both are remnants of the cattling-handling era. In that respect, the Plains part of Colorado (which Denver resides in) is more akin to places like Oklahoma and Kansas. Will Rogers and the cowboy entertainment culture started in Oklahoma. KC has deep ties to the Wild West cowboy culture, and is the home of some of the best beef BBQ you will find.... another cowboy remnant.

I spend lots of time in Denver and Seattle, and would say the only cultural thing they have in common is what has been brought to them by the incoming Californians, relatively recently. Otherwise, they are actually quite different when you look at them. Seattle has ample vegetation and trees, relies on fish, and has always had a very, very liberal, cooperative bent. Denver is brown, historically a cow town, and was much more libertarian (notwithstanding the newfound CA influence).
Then you've not spent enough time in Kansas City. I went to college near KC. Culturally it could not be more different. It's incredibly humid. Summer recreation consists of "going to the lake", wherever the lake may be. People drink Bud Light like it's going out of style. It's a very different place. Seattle has more in common with Denver than KC.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:15 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 180,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Then you've not spent enough time in Kansas City. I went to college near KC. Culturally it could not be more different. It's incredibly humid. Summer recreation consists of "going to the lake", wherever the lake may be. People drink Bud Light like it's going out of style. It's a very different place. Seattle has more in common with Denver than KC.
What specifically does Seattle have in common with Denver (that 25 other cities also do not have in common with Seattle?

The People's Republic of Boulder might have some similarities with Seattle. But then again so to most university/research towns, across the nation. Raleigh, Ann Arbor, etc.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
When you look west, it's West.

When you look east, it's Midwest.

Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver