Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,220 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon, all...first time poster, long time lurker...I currently live in central NJ and work in NYC, with a commute of just under two hours, door to door...

I just accepted a position on Park Meadows Drive, located right around the intersection of 470 and I-25. I'm curious if anybody is familiar with the commute from Monument/Larkspur area up 25. Google Maps puts it at about 40 minutes from Monument, but I'd like to know how accurate that is during commuting hours.

I've been doing quite a bit of research and I'm looking for a minimum 3 bed/2 bath with a cap of around $2250 per month. Based on what I've seen, I can go quite a bit lower if I head south, but more than an hour commute is not something I want to do, as part of the reason for our move is more family time. My best friend lives in Roxbourough Park, so I'm trying to stay within a reasonable drive to him, as well as work.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

regards,

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 02:35 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,427,778 times
James,

Take a look around Parker, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Littleton first.

You will be disappointed and LATE the first time they close the highway either at Monument or 1-25 & Lincoln.

Welcome to Denver (and her suburbs)

Old 09-29-2015, 02:40 PM

Thank you, 2bindenver...those are certainly my top picks, just toying with the idea...is I-25 & Lincoln a common location for highway closure? I got stuck in I-25 traffic that was horrendous, closer to the city center, but was hopeful about it south of 470...

Old 09-29-2015, 02:43 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Monument Hill is the high elevation point, and gets more weather and more closures.

Do not drive to you qualify, if quality of life is why you moved.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Monument Hill is the high elevation point, and gets more weather and more closures.

Do not drive to you qualify, if quality of life is why you moved.
Great point...thank you for your thoughts!

Old 09-29-2015, 02:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,307 times
I have driven I-25 south from the DTC during rush hour. It's ugly.

The road is congested by 3 pm and it is absolutely miserable by 5 pm. My niece had a basketball game in Pueblo that started at 7:30 pm. We left at 4 pm. We got to Castle Rock around 4:45, to Larkspur around 5:20, to Monument at 5:50, to Colorado Springs by 6:30. We barely made the start of the game.

The slow drive was all congestion, there was not a construction project nor any accidents along the way, just too much traffic for the roads. Even Roxborough would be much easier.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:08 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
I would say don't. No traffic time is about 45 mins (which isn't bad) but with traffic it's like 1 hour on a good day, 1.5 on an average day, and 2 on a bad day. That means 2 hour commute daily if your lucky, and that could stretch up to 4 hours a day on crappy days, which happen more often than you would think. I hated when I drove down to the springs on weekends, I couldn't imagine it every day. Traffic is rarely bad in the north Springs near monument.

I say no unless you get a job on the south side with weird hours (like 11am and 8pm) where you could theoretically make it 35 mins.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 PM

473 posts, read 848,909 times
It's also very congested on weekends. Springs folks coming up for Denver events (sports, shopping at Park Meadows/Castle Rock) - or returning from mountains via 285/470 and funneling back south.

It's a beautiful drive, but not one I'd want to make every day.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:20 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,175 times
If the purpose of your move is to increase family time, commuting from Monument isn't the way to do it.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:53 PM

238 posts, read 696,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarga77 View Post
Good afternoon, all...first time poster, long time lurker...I currently live in central NJ and work in NYC, with a commute of just under two hours, door to door...

I just accepted a position on Park Meadows Drive, located right around the intersection of 470 and I-25. I'm curious if anybody is familiar with the commute from Monument/Larkspur area up 25. Google Maps puts it at about 40 minutes from Monument, but I'd like to know how accurate that is during commuting hours.

I've been doing quite a bit of research and I'm looking for a minimum 3 bed/2 bath with a cap of around $2250 per month. Based on what I've seen, I can go quite a bit lower if I head south, but more than an hour commute is not something I want to do, as part of the reason for our move is more family time. My best friend lives in Roxbourough Park, so I'm trying to stay within a reasonable drive to him, as well as work.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

regards,

James
Hi OP:

I probably wouldn't go any further south than Castle Rock. The winter can increase drive times when there's ice/snow and for whatever reason there are always accidents on I-25, especially between Castle Rock and Monument.

Having also originated from the east coast, lived in DC and CT, I know what you're facing with traffic and can say that while the roads can be congested it's nothing like what you're currently experiencing. (Read: you'll go slow but it's not a parking lot in the majority of cases.)

I semi-regularly commute from CR to the DTC and the drives times are not bad - especially if you can leave a little early or a little late. There are also back roads you can take should the highway have an issue.

Good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver