Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:49 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times

Advertisements

The cities listed here? I've been in four of them the past few year.s The list is accurate IMO. Tucson? I used to go down there most every March for MLB Spring training, would attend a half dozen or so Colorado Rockies games. Yes, especially Tucson. Speedway Blvd>> I've had several near collisions regarding drivers who run red lights.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:54 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
I went to school in Phoenix and I remember it being very bad there as well.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,841 times
I think the red light running problem is a lot worse in Denver than it is in Chicago (my observation after living in Chicago for 2 years). Of course, in Chicago, if a person were to run a red light and hold up the cars that have the green light, they would probably have dozens of people blowing their horns.

Denver drivers are crazy.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:16 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I think the red light running problem is a lot worse in Denver than it is in Chicago (my observation after living in Chicago for 2 years). Of course, in Chicago, if a person were to run a red light and hold up the cars that have the green light, they would probably have dozens of people blowing their horns.

Denver drivers are crazy.
I was going to say the same about NYC. No way you're running a red light because you know cars are hitting the gas as soon as their lights change. I guess traffic works if either everyone is driving aggressively or everyone is driving defensively but falls apart when you mix the two together

Old 10-14-2015, 06:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
I was going to say the same about NYC. No way you're running a red light because you know cars are hitting the gas as soon as their lights change. I guess traffic works if either everyone is driving aggressively or everyone is driving defensively but falls apart when you mix the two together
Quoted for truth.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:29 PM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I feel like people who walk onto the street (outside of the crosswalks) need to stop. I don't live in the city anymore, but when I did, I felt like I had to constantly be on the lookout for people randomly walking out onto the street without regard for traffic, especially along Colfax and in Capitol Hill.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:09 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
OK now I am going to go find some stats...

according to this we are in the top 10:

Stop! Denver in top 10 cities for red-light running

Stop On Red | National Coalition for Safer Roads
Having moved here from Tucson I can tell you there is a mighty big gap between numbers 9 and 10.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:12 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I mostly notice it when people continue to make left turns after the signal indicates they no longer have the right of way.

Drives. Me. Nuts.

(Ok, admittedly, that's kind of a short trip.)

Old 10-16-2015, 07:04 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Actually, I think, and this is coming from a "Baby Boomer" (66 years old), lifestyles/driving is getting faster and faster in many areas of the U.S. today. Not only is red-light and stop-sign running a major problem, but so is passing a school bus when the STOP sign is out on the bus AND going fast thru a school zone. Some people just don't care/or think about local law enforcement being around. "Awe, just give me the ticket and I'll go to Traffic School" or "Oh well if I get a Point on my license and my insurance goes up.........I gotta get to where I'm going."

For the years I lived in So. Calif. (Orange County), I didn't see much of this red-light or stop-sign running because there is so much law enforcement around patrolling the areas. Some people will stop, while others just don't care.

Here in northeastern Florida, red-light and stop-sign running is a big thing! Even with red-light camera's going........people don't care about it and will speed up to get thru the light before it turns red. Some make it while others get their photo taken and get pi**ed off when they get a ticket in the mail. "I didn't run that light!" the driver will say, but that's not what the photo says.

Wife and I are in our mid-60's with a much slower lifestyle than we had years ago. We drive with the flow of traffic, but completely stop at stop signs and don't run red lights. Sometimes (we can tell) that a vehicle behind us will beep their horn when we completely stop at a stop sign.

Bottom line is........a lot of places in America today the driving and lifestyles are very fast and, on top of that, (unfortunately) a lot of people just don't care. They simply want to get to where they are going.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:54 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
turning left is the worst I've seen of it. after the light has turned red (not that 2 second grace period right before the yellow turns red), I've seen two, sometimes three cars blow right through the red arrow. what. the. ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver