Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,057 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from Kansas. I was on a vacation in Denver with my family. Everything went fine till our return. On returning I was on highway I-25, I was driving along rightmost lane. Since I was nearing an exit so I decided to change lane. There was a truck on my left. I turn on my turn signal, it looked to me truck was slowing down and I go ahead and started changing to left lane. But it was my mistake. The truck hit me behind, I accidently hit another car (although I don't remember how I hit the another car). Car got heavily damaged, although driver did not receive serious injury. My family was not injured. There was heavy traffic and I was not over speeding. Police booked me for careless driving with 4 points ticket with mandatory court appearance. I do have insurance.

Now, can you guys tell me how serious is this charge and what will be the verdict. Do I need to hire attorney.

Need suggestions.

Thanks
Sumanta
Kansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 10:05 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumantasoren View Post
Hi,

I am from Kansas. I was on a vacation in Denver with my family. Everything went fine till our return. On returning I was on highway I-25, I was driving along rightmost lane. Since I was nearing an exit so I decided to change lane. There was a truck on my left. I turn on my turn signal, it looked to me truck was slowing down and I go ahead and started changing to left lane. But it was my mistake. The truck hit me behind, I accidently hit another car (although I don't remember how I hit the another car). Car got heavily damaged, although driver did not receive serious injury. My family was not injured. There was heavy traffic and I was not over speeding. Police booked me for careless driving with 4 points ticket with mandatory court appearance. I do have insurance.

Now, can you guys tell me how serious is this charge and what will be the verdict. Do I need to hire attorney.

Need suggestions.

Thanks
Sumanta
Kansas
I'm glad you have insurance cuz its the law. You can probably plead down to a lesser charge. Happened to me speeding charge. That said, considering it was your fault and nobody was hurt, 4 pts is not that serious considering what could have happened.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:56 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
"careless driving" is a catch-all citation for just about anything that an officer can determine is a loss of control of your vehicle. Situational awareness is another place for a violation of this statute; ie, a lane change where you apparently are the causation of an accident.

I've had friends on motorcycles in Denver take a corner at low speed and hit an unobserved patch of loose dirt ... just enough of a layer that the rear tire was seen to "slip" by an observing officer. No accident, no damage, no problem except an observed "loss of control" for a fraction of a second. Yup, "careless driving". And the observation by an officer was all that it took for the charge to stick, even when the cyclist described the situation to the judge of a thin patch of dirt which he couldn't see due to the curb in his line of sight when entering the turn.

Your best opportunity to seek a plea bargain to a lesser charge would be to contact the DA ahead of the hearing date and ask if they are willing to consider a lesser charge. But given the serious nature of the result of your driving, don't be surprised if they want to press the "careless driving" citation. The evidence likely speaks for itself, you did something wrong which resulted in damages to others with injuries.

If you really want to make a big deal ($$$$) out of this accident, you can retain a lawyer to represent you. But the likelihood of a significant reduction in fines and penalties to justify the expense is minimal.

You didn't mention which jurisdiction wrote the ticket. If it's the CHP, their citations are typically held up in court in those cases where your "careless" driving resulted in an injury accident.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-17-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 01:17 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
As long as you do not ever return to Colorado you will be fine

Old 10-17-2015, 02:49 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Really?

What part of "mandatory court appearance" in Colorado is the OP going to avoid if they don't ever return to Colorado? There are consequences for not showing up in court for these charges.

As well, with the damages and injuries that the OP's insurance will be paying out, this accident will likely also show up in the Kansas driver's license records for their purposes.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:58 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
If the charge is Careless Driving Resulting in Injury you'll probably get the "With Injury" removed by taking a driver's safety course (more than likely here in Colorado). Unless you plead guilty as charged you can expect at least one court appearance, but probably two if you take a plea deal. Don't count on getting it reduced to something trivial like Following Too Closely or Defective Vehicle.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Not even close to accurate.

There is reciprocity between KS and CO. The charge is not a big deal, but it must be taken care of.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:45 PM

170 posts, read 222,836 times
Come to a chat room for legal advice??
Rots of Ruck

Old 10-17-2015, 07:17 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
I've never understood how cops here can give a ticket for something they didn't witness.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I've never understood how cops here can give a ticket for something they didn't witness.
Several ways.

1. You give a statement and admit guilt. For example: Cop: Do you have any idea how fast you were going? You: I was only going 1 mph over the speed limit. Cop: Admission of guilt, here is your speeding ticket.

2. Evidence at the scene of an accident. Skid marks, damage to vehicles, etc. The cop is a witness to that, and will testify as a witness in court.

3. Statements given to the cop by witnesses. In this case, the cop is not a witness, but will give you a ticket, expecting that the witnesses will testify in court, the same thing they told him in their interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver