Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,143 times

Advertisements

When I was 19 (and stupid) we were living in a pricey apartment in Denver that my husbands company paid for. When he got laid off we had a "friend" move into our apartment so we could move back home to Oklahoma. We didn't do anything official because we trusted him. He ended up leaving the next month and never told us. My husband and I both have $6,800 owed on our credit report from this. It was opened 4-5-2010 and last reported 2-8-2011. I am far from having the $6,800 to pay it off. I'm not sure if I should call the company that bought the debt or if I should call the apartment complex. I'm sure I should ask to settle right? How long after settling and paying would it take to come off of my credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:28 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Did they obtain a judgment against you?

Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM

I don't believe so? I'm not exactly sure how to find that out. Would the apartment complex know? The name of the apartment complex looks like it has changed a few times since we lived there.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:43 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Call the clerk of the court in the county where the apartment is. Ask if there is a judgment against you.

Otherwise dispute the issue, in writing, with all the credit reporting services. Keep copies of your dispute letter and enclosures. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

something like this:

Date
Your Name
Your Address
Your City, State, Zip Code

Complaint Department
Name of Credit Bureau
Address
City, State, Zip Code

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. The items I dispute also are encircled on the attached copy of the report I received.

This item (identify item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.) is (inaccurate or incomplete) because (describe what is inaccurate or incomplete and why). I am requesting that the item be deleted (or request another specific change) to correct the information.

Please investigate this (these) matter(s) and (delete or correct) the disputed item(s) as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Your name

Enclosures: (List what you are enclosing)

Old 10-19-2015, 03:07 PM

I called and she said there was no judgement that she could see. There were 4 evictions listed with the first one being dismissed without prejudice. I have the case numbers and the name and number of the consulting firm listed on the cases. Should I contact the consulting firm or move on to the debt collectors? I'm nervous that what they will want to settle for will still be out of question for me.

Thank you, thank you for your help!

Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV, but a few questions:

1.) If your husband's company was paying for it, wouldn't the lease in their name?

2.) If the answer to question 1 is no, then unfortunately, I don't see how you'll be able to avoid the fees--you didn't speak to the complex about subletting the apartment (which is a big no-no all over), and your friend skipped out on you without paying up, so from the complex's POV, there was still a valid lease going on that nobody paid rent on.

3.) How is it this is all coming to light just now? That just seems odd.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:21 PM

He worked as a sub at Schlumberger, but actually was employed by a tiny company here in Oklahoma. We had about 2 days notice to move and I was terrified of picking a bad place to live when I had never even been to Colorado before. I found these apartments that seemed like they were in an okay area and just picked them. I didn't have time to wait on paperwork and his little company getting things done quickly enough. I went ahead and put us on the lease and they called and paid it for us every month. (You don't have to tell me because I'm old enough to realize how incredibly naive and and stupid that was) When Schlumberger did a big layoff they cut my husbands contract and hired someone in house to do his job. We had days to either find a really really good paying job or get back to Oklahoma so our families could help so we asked a friend who was looking for a new apartment in our area to take over. He agreed and was moving in as we were moving out. (I KNOW! INCREDIBLY STUPID). This is just now coming to light because I had never been interested in buying a house until now and we had been lucky in finding landlords who would use references and large deposits instead of credit checks.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:44 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahfasgold View Post
He worked as a sub at Schlumberger, but actually was employed by a tiny company here in Oklahoma. We had about 2 days notice to move and I was terrified of picking a bad place to live when I had never even been to Colorado before. I found these apartments that seemed like they were in an okay area and just picked them. I didn't have time to wait on paperwork and his little company getting things done quickly enough. I went ahead and put us on the lease and they called and paid it for us every month. (You don't have to tell me because I'm old enough to realize how incredibly naive and and stupid that was) When Schlumberger did a big layoff they cut my husbands contract and hired someone in house to do his job. We had days to either find a really really good paying job or get back to Oklahoma so our families could help so we asked a friend who was looking for a new apartment in our area to take over. He agreed and was moving in as we were moving out. (I KNOW! INCREDIBLY STUPID). This is just now coming to light because I had never been interested in buying a house until now and we had been lucky in finding landlords who would use references and large deposits instead of credit checks.
I was wondering if your husband's company's name might be on the lease, and therefore, partly liable, if they were paying the rent directly. (I've no direct experience in such a situation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: