Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM

271 posts, read 1,380,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
So, you are a chameleon--changed your name---thought we would not notice.
I too noticed Katiana changed her name!

And I'm very glad to see you're back, livecontent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Sorry guys, can't talk about it, . . . seriously!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:51 PM

380 posts, read 1,228,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
After a hiatus from this addicted web behavior--I decided to look it. So, you are a chameleon--changed your name---thought we would not notice.

Oh, Yea--a response in walking at night from a bus stop. Most people are not aware that RTD has a established written policy called NIGHT STOP SERVICE:

"RTD's Night Stop bus service provides added safety for bus passengers traveling at night between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. Night stop allows passengers to get off the bus at any safe location along a regular route, even if it is not a designated RTD bus stop.

How to Use Night Stop Service

At least one block before you want to get off, move to the front of the bus and tell the driver you want a special stop.
The driver will determine a safe stopping point for you and the bus. Drivers will not allow passengers to exit in unsafe areas such as unlit or unpopulated locations, or in ditches or snowdrifts.
Exit through the front door of the bus.
The driver will ask other passengers to wait for the next stop. This ensures that you will be the only passenger to depart at your requested stop Night Stop Service Area.

Night Stop service is not available in the downtown Denver area bordered by 11th Ave., Grant St., 23rd St., Speer Blvd., and I-25 because of the frequency of stops already made in this area by RTD bus drivers as well as the amount of police patrols."

This may help in many situations. I have used it, many times. The bus drivers are very cooperative.

Livecontent
Night Stops. That sounds great. I love all this great help. I can't wait to visit next weekend and move 30 days later. (Got to give notice to my job.) Thanks again...see ya on the bus !

Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 PM

29 posts, read 94,802 times
Everyone says that five points is not bad but i would like to see them walk that area at night. Also if you go more up towards swansia i think that you would think a little differently about the city of denver.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbuffalos View Post
Does anyone know anything about Boutique Apartments? I'll be moving ahead of the family, and will need a small apartment for a few months. These look interesting, but I wondered if anyone here has any first-hand info or word-of-mouth.
Thanks, as always,
flyingbuffalos, doing loop de loops today
http://www.wellcomemat.com/boutiqueapartments
http://www.boutiqueapartments.com
I just found these. They are listing on craiglist! They look VERY cool.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,117 times
Quote:
Everyone says that five points is not bad but i would like to see them walk that area at night.
I have done so for years, as has my wife, our friends both male and female. I know quite a few folks who live in the area still, of different races. None of them have had any issues.

A bit further east and you used to run into some more interesting characters but again people are people, rich or poor.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:59 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
You must also factor in that not all "high-crime" areas are necessarily "dangerous." Most violent crimes in my area (probably 95% as a matter of fact) are NOT random acts of violence. Usually it is someone targeting someone else for one reason or another and settling the dispute with weapons. I can't imagine a guy with a gun running up to a woman with a stroller in Five Points and shooting her and the baby in the face for the hell of it; a rival gang member walking down the street might provoke a different reaction though. My outlook on criminals is "if you don't bother me, then I won't bother you," and that's the way it should be. I know those who resort to violence at the drop of a hat are of a "lower" common denominator mentally, but I still think they realize that if they're going to pull a gun on someone there better be a damn good reason for it (in their eyes at least). That's why 99% of convenience store, bank, etc. robberies don't result in any injuries. Criminals just want easy-in/easy-out cash, and if the clerk just puts their hands in the air and cooperates, what reason would they have to add the potential of the death penalty on top of their felony robbery offense just by gunning down the clerk for fun?

There's a big difference between "crime" and "random acts of violence." I wouldn't mind living in an urban neigborhood where thugs gun down other thugs. I WOULD mind a neighborhood that has a nefarious reputation for these thugs targeting innocent bystanders for one reason or another.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:04 PM

I've just been contacted by The Greentree Village at 1039 S Parker Rd. The area code is 80231. Is that a good area ??

Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_koolkat View Post
I've just been contacted by The Greentree Village at 1039 S Parker Rd. The area code is 80231. Is that a good area ??
I live in 80231. I'd recommend Deerfield Apartment Homes, which is not too far from Greentree, and probably a lot better. I don't want to sound snobby, but I don't think Greentree is a place I'd recommend -- it looks run-down and I've seen the police there on multiple occasions. There was recently a change of management at Deerfield, but so far everything seems to be fine, and the new management company is renovating units as residents move out. It's quiet, residents are friendly (and it's also pet friendly) and only ~6 miles from downtown and it's actually convenient to take the bus (79 to 83L) if you work downtown. Its sort of has an '80s/suburban feel, but it's quiet, relatively crime-free, and still close enough to downtown, DTC, I-25 and 225, etc.

Just for reference, Deerfield is probably 2 miles or so south of Greentree, not on a busy street, and in a better part of 80231, in my opinion.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 03-11-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,547 times
Hey there,

Stay away from 5 points. Lodo is good but not north of 23rd street. Highlands and Jefferson Park are way cool to live in, [mod]no advertising please[/mod]

Good luck,

Mike

Last edited by jeannie216; 03-12-2008 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver