Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish76 View Post
OP here. Eek, too be honest, I'm not sure we want the super-intense option anyway. I grew up with that in the DC burbs, and I'm sure it's worse now than then. A good balance sounds better to me. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Well, there ya go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 02:19 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,629 times
Quote:
OP here. Eek, too be honest, I'm not sure we want the super-intense option anyway. I grew up with that in the DC burbs, and I'm sure it's worse now than then. A good balance sounds better to me. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Also the Cherry Creek Schools put you smack in the middle of suburbia with zero walkable neighborhoods.

Denver is where you want to be.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:21 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
^^This^^
Cherry Creek HS has a lot of smart students and very competitive academics. Students graduating from here routinely attend Eastern universities like the Ivy League Schools, MIT, Georgetown, etc., as well as top schools in the Midwest (Washington Univ. St. Louis, Oberlin, Univ. of Chicago, Michigan, Notre Dame etc) and the West Coast (Stanford, Cal-Berkeley, Pomona/Clairmont, USC, etc.). It sends more students to CU-Boulder, Colorado Mines and U of Denver than any other high school in the US. It also has more National Merit Scholars than any other Colorado school.

The school is 60 years old, so it has a more established tradition of excellence than other suburban schools.
Quote:
As David mentions above, the Cherry Creek district is very good. I grew up in that district.

One thing to consider though is that walkability goes down dramatically as soon as you leave the city for the suburbs. We made the decision to be in the city largely because of this. The DPS elementary options are quite good, and as I said in my previous post, the DSST middle school is ranked #1 in the state if that's what you are looking for.

My wife and I are going through school decisions right now as our daughter will be in kindergarten next year. She has been in the DPS preschool for the past two years and we have been pretty happy with it.

I would encourage you to go out and tour schools if that is a major concern as opposed to taking what a bunch of people on the internet say as gospel. I have toured half a dozen elementary schools over the past couple of months and honestly I haven't been to one that I thought was a bad option for us.

I had a great talk with a woman I know who studies education and is writing a book on the subject right now. She had some great advice, which was basically this: Parents freak out about school choices too much.

You are obviously pretty successful; you're spending $650,000 on a house. You are thinking about your kids and want what is best for them. You're obviously educated. Just knowing this about you, your kids are going to be just fine.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
As David mentions above, the Cherry Creek district is very good. I grew up in that district.

One thing to consider though is that walkability goes down dramatically as soon as you leave the city for the suburbs. We made the decision to be in the city largely because of this. The DPS elementary options are quite good, and as I said in my previous post, the DSST middle school is ranked #1 in the state if that's what you are looking for.

My wife and I are going through school decisions right now as our daughter will be in kindergarten next year. She has been in the DPS preschool for the past two years and we have been pretty happy with it.

I would encourage you to go out and tour schools if that is a major concern as opposed to taking what a bunch of people on the internet say as gospel. I have toured half a dozen elementary schools over the past couple of months and honestly I haven't been to one that I thought was a bad option for us.

I had a great talk with a woman I know who studies education and is writing a book on the subject right now. She had some great advice, which was basically this: Parents freak out about school choices too much.

You are obviously pretty successful; you're spending $650,000 on a house. You are thinking about your kids and want what is best for them. You're obviously educated. Just knowing this about you, your kids are going to be just fine.
Exactly! My post from yet another discussion on metro schools:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OP, I think you are over-analyzing this a bit. The best advice I got when we moved once was from a friend who had previously lived where we were moving. She said there were good school districts and bad school districts there but we wouldn't buy a house in a bad district. Best advice I ever got about schools, and I like to pass it on. You're not going to buy some trashed-out house. When you look at a house, drive around the whole area, see if you like what you see. If you're concerned about living near other families I'd suggest going with something fairly new, and look for stuff like bikes, trikes, toys around (harder to do in winter I know). If you see lots of cars parked in front of houses, there are probably teens/college students living there. I should know, we once had 4 cars and only two of them fit in the garage.

Good luck!
I will also say, many of the burbs are fairly walkable, at least to school. The burbs pretty much all have sidewalks, and especially for elementary schools, schools tend to be located in residential areas.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,503 times
Check out my neighborhood, Bradburn Village in Westminster. A walkable, new urbanist neighborhood with excellent home schools. From every home in Bradburn, it's a 5-15 min (one way) walk to 14 restaurants, 2 bars, 2 organic grocers (Whole Foods and Sprouts), multiple services (dentists, hair salons, gyms, liquor store, car repair place, Starbucks, many other stores), 10 parks, and the huge Dry Creek Open Space.

Our home schools are elementary: Cotton Creek (rated 9 on Greatschools.org), Westlake Middle School (also rated a 9), and Legacy High School (rated an 8). I've had a kid in these schools and have had an excellent experience, as have my neighbors.

Bradburn is a new neighborhood (established in 2002), but all construction is now finished. It's built with homes in neotraditional styles, most with alley loaded garages, and all with front porches. Wide sidewalks all with tree buffers to protect pedestrians. As a result of pedestrian oriented construction, most homes have small yards. Neighborhood is super, super social with many events through the year and neighbors are very friendly--everyone knows everyone like a small town. Loads of kids, mostly middle school age and down.

30 minutes to downtown Denver, 30-40 to downtown Boulder in traffic, less than that when not rush hour.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:32 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Bradburn is a good suggestion.

Also check out this neighborhood north of Denver. It is Cheyenne Ridge.
14447 Jason Dr, Westminster, CO 80023 | Zillow
Have to show you a sold home as there is nothing for sale in there right now (holidays and all).
Good schools and walkable to lots but not the schools.

In the DTC look at Heritage Place. Great schools, central elementary for walking as well as grocery, restaurants, movie, library and light rail.
6502 S Pontiac Court, Centennial, CO 80111 | MLS 5475014 | Listing Information

Cherry Knolls near Southglenn has good schools. Southglenn has grocery (Whole Foods and Vit. Cottage) as well as lots of restaurants and stores.
6849 S Elizabeth Cir, Centennial, CO 80122 | Zillow
A plus is that you have good access to the Highline Canal trail.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Louisville and Lafayette are also quite walkable, basically throughout the entire cities. Both cities have numerous festivals and events, lots of bars and coffee shops. There are several elementary schools in both towns, one middle school in Lafayette and two in Louisville; one high school each. Several groceries in each, including Sprouts and Alfalfa's, if you're into "organic".

I won't shave off commute times here, count on the better part of an hour to Denver, less if you're lucky, 15-20 min to Boulder, depending on where you're coming from. Louisville is closer to Boulder.

In the OP's price range, Louisville:
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale..._zm/?3col=true
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...2_p/?3col=true
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...2_p/?3col=true

Lafayette: (Note-most are lower-priced)
500,000s:

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-29-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 04:29 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Downtown Littleton is walkable and the schools are pretty solid elementary through high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver