Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times

Advertisements

What would Denver be like if the Poundstone amendment didn't pass in 1974? Would Denver have sprawled big like Houston and Dallas? Could the Denver metro area be one big county like Houston is in Harris county instead of being divided into 7 counties?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poundstone_Amendment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 04:32 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Similar to today.
No.
No.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:12 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
And maybe it's not a bad thing Denver is not like Houston or the Metroplex in this regard. I know many people who lived in those municipalities annexed over the past 20 years or so by Houston were not happy about the deal. They lost the efficiencies and small town feel of many of their previously good city services, and had to utilize the City of Houston. Moreover, when I lived in Denver, I appreciate the fact that the City and County was a combined entity, rather than having to deal with two separate branches of Govt.

Of course, when the large cities do this, they point out that annexation is justified by the fact that they are losing out on revenue because virtually everyone living in those municipalities works, shops and does much of their business in the larger city. So, I can see both points of view.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:36 AM

556 posts, read 1,199,794 times
If only Denver had annexed the land and not developed it until there was real demand. We could have maintained our dense neighborhoods and streetcar network instead of turning ourselves into a wasteland of parking lots.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:02 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
What would Denver be like if the Poundstone amendment didn't pass in 1974? Would Denver have sprawled big like Houston and Dallas? Could the Denver metro area be one big county like Houston is in Harris county instead of being divided into 7 counties?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poundstone_Amendment
Absolutely, that was the city’s plan. Ever wonder why the City and County of Denver owns so many parks in Jefferson County? It wasn’t because they wanted to be nice and provide the residents of Jefferson County with a great park system, at the expense of Denver tax payers. It was because most or all of Jefferson County was in their annexation plans, and they wanted to have park land set aside for future Denver residents in that area.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
If only Denver had annexed the land and not developed it until there was real demand. We could have maintained our dense neighborhoods and streetcar network instead of turning ourselves into a wasteland of parking lots.
That is exactly what they were doing. They annexed the land for the Denver Tech Center, years before it was developed. Then they annexed land southwest into Jefferson County to Kipling and Belleview. That area has only recently been developed in the last couple of decades. They annexed Green Valley Ranch, east of Aurora. Denver was well on it’s way to land-locking most of the suburbs, when the Poundstone Amendment put a stop to it.

As for the streetcar system, the Poundstone Amendment had nothing to do with that. The streetcars were already gone for 25 years when the Poundstone Amendment was passed, and the Denver Tramway had been out of business for a couple of years at that time. If the City and County of Denver had annexed the suburbs early on, it would have had one positive effect on transportation. The Denver Tramway would have been better able to provide bus service to the suburbs. Which was difficult for them to do, because of the cost of franchise fees. But even with annexation of the suburbs, that would have meant better bus service, not streetcars. Because the Denver Tramway and the City of Denver were already long since committed to bus only service.

On the subject of streetcars, the most unfortunate thing in Denver transportation history was that the Denver Tramway did not at least keep the streetcars on the interurban lines to Golden and Arvada. If they had preserved those rail lines, RTD would have been able to easily start light rail service to those areas in the 1970s, instead of just now.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:14 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times
If not for Poundstone Amendment, Denver would continue on with annexing JeffCo, then started up north with unincorporated Adams county and parts of Thornton.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
The questions or issues for me are:

1. Are we better served by one government or ten redundant governments where WE pay for ten sets of overhead costs, ten sets of elected types, ten sets of laws to manage, ten sets of building and zoning codes, ten sets of fire, police, courts, jails, road departments, ten sets of everything? If corporations huge and small can run their entire national networks with ONE headquarters, why can't a major metro area? Riddle me that.

2. Is "local control" really better or just more wishful thinking by us white people?

I have to go out for a medical visit, I'll probably posit a few more things later to make us go 'hmmmm'
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,574 times
Yes, I recall the Poundstone debate fairly well.

Denver had it's eyes on Jefferson County, particularly during busing/integration. That is why the City of Lakewood incorporated in 1969. To block Denver's western front. Same with the northern burbs. Aurora mostly had them on the east.

Then Poundstone sealed their fate. Look at what had to be done just to annex a portion of Adams for DIA.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The questions or issues for me are:

1. Are we better served by one government or ten redundant governments where WE pay for ten sets of overhead costs, ten sets of elected types, ten sets of laws to manage, ten sets of building and zoning codes, ten sets of fire, police, courts, jails, road departments, ten sets of everything? If corporations huge and small can run their entire national networks with ONE headquarters, why can't a major metro area? Riddle me that.
I expect over time that most city services in the Denver Metro Area will be merged anyway. RTD already provides transportation for the entire metro area. Most of the fire protection districts are being merged. I believe it was just last year that Englewood contracted with Denver for fire protection. In the process they were able to close one fire station. Because in many cases you can have two fire stations just a few blocks apart, serving two different cities. It doesn’t make any sense. I don’t know why police and other services won’t be the next to be merged. Eventually city governments might just become irrelevant, with most services coming from metro districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver