Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:57 PM

346 posts, read 1,567,076 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I appreciate the opinions and help from both of you. I've also looked into Broomfield a bit, which seemed O.K. I enjoyed the new mall when I visited. Too bad there isn't a cute downtown or more of a homey feel to it. Do you both feel that the areas south (previously mentioned in this thread) are more desirable than the Broomfield, Westminster or Louisville areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 38,126 times
gpraceman....I am curious on your experience with American Academy? They have over 600 children on the wait list?

Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 PM

111 posts, read 610,562 times
My kids go to American Academy. I think the reason some have taken their kids out has not as much to do w/ academics but with its current facilities. Its only in its 2nd year and is using a temporary site that lacks a real playground, shares some space with the church right next to it, no real lunch room, has carpooling/congestion problems and some other issues directly related to the physical building. Parents and kids really have to go to great lengths and sacrifice to attend.

BUT American Academy has already proven to be a great academic school. Look up the Douglas County CSAP (Colorado student assessment program) rankings at the site gpraceman mentioned and you'll see that American Academy ranked 1st, tied for first and 2nd and 3rd in most categories (number of students at or above proficient, advanced and proficient per number of students enrolled).

The school is expecting to have its permanant facility next year and looks like it'll be in Castle Pines North, a highly sought after and respected area. The rankings and its future site is probably why it has such a huge waiting list. It is a pain in the butt at times right now, but its worth it in the end.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:25 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,946 times
Personally, I would recommend that you stay clear of American Academy. Our sons were there last year and we are very happy to have them out of there. It wasn't a quality of education issue. We thought their teachers were quite good. It was because of the way the school administration and parents board were running the school. They were being soft on disciplining kids of the parent board but very harsh on other kids. We had to get the school district involved in how they were railroading our oldest son for minor stuff, and the school district took our side! Even with a scolding from the district, they didn't change their ways (they didn't even follow their own written discipline policy).

They had some very strange goings on with how they were treating teachers. A couple of teachers got fired (or put on administrative leave). There were public accusations flying from one of those teachers about the school administration. We heard rumors of falsified CSAP scores. They enrolled kids that were going to other schools (My wife works at a school in Parker and had to correct many of their enrollment mistakes). We talked to many other parents that had also pulled their kids out of that school and they reported similar issues and were happy to have their kids out of there too.

Also on the CSAP scores issue, we were in the process of pulling our oldest son out of that school a couple of days before CSAP's. Actually, the district was working out a deal with AA so they would provide the curriculum and we would home school him for the remainder of the school year, until he could start in middle school this year. However, AA disenrolled our son without our written permission, which is against district policy. We feel that they did that so they wouldn't get a zero for his test score.

I get the distinct impression that the administration feels that since they are a charter school that they are above district policy (essentially an elitist attitude). While they are treated a bit differently than a regular public school, they still have to follow district policy.

There are other, more established and truly reputable, charter schools in the area that you can consider. You should also check out the neighborhood schools. Our sons are doing much better at their current public schools than they were doing at AA.

Also, if you send your kids to a charter school, that school then becomes your "neighborhood school". If the charter school does not work out for your kids, your geographical neighborhood school does not have to take them. We had to beg and plead with the principals of the closest schools (an elementary and a middle school) so they would admit them for this year. After we explained what was going on at AA and the district talked to them, they agreed to take our sons.

Last edited by gpraceman; 12-06-2006 at 11:54 PM..

Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 PM

111 posts, read 610,562 times
Gpraceman, I obviously didn't have the same experience as you, but I will acknowledge that the parent board and possibly the admin is a bit elitist. My wife and I shake our heads sometimes at their overachieverness. My wife had helped organize a transportation project that might have helped many families (not to mention the carpool frustrations I'm sure you remember) and it was shot down without much consideration. Irked us a bit, but oh well. All in all, we are pretty happy with AA.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan6200alt View Post
Gpraceman, I obviously didn't have the same experience as you, but I will acknowledge that the parent board and possibly the admin is a bit elitist.
It seems to me that it isn't always a good thing to let a group of parents put together a charter school. While they might have had good intentions, the power can go to their heads and they think they can run things as they wish, instead of truly caring about the welfare of the students.

I definitely don't miss the carpool mess. I feel my sons are in better schools now and they can even walk to school. I also don't miss the school uniform mess.

Last edited by gpraceman; 12-07-2006 at 12:14 AM..

Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 PM

210 posts, read 1,345,675 times
Hi Rebagirl,

In response to your question regarding the northern versus the southern metro area, I think that the northern metro area is sometimes seen as less desirable than the southern metro area (where some of the most affluent neighborhoods in the Denver area are). That being said, there is currently more growth going on up north than down south.
Between Parker and Littleton, it does depend what you are looking for. Parker has a lot of newer homes, whereas (as you noted) a lot of Littleton is composed of older homes. But, you can find old houses in Parker and new houses in Littleton.
I do live in a covenant-controlled community, and sometimes it does seem that they nitpick but for the most part they keep things pretty well in-line. No strange house colors, no RVs parked in front of the house, etc etc.
Again, it depends on where in each town you are, and where in Aurora your relatives are, but generally Littleton would probably be a bit closer to Aurora than Parker would be. But it really depends on where you are.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 PM

18,028 posts, read 27,479,203 times
I lived in Chatsworth when I was a kid. I could walk to Mason Park and watch the filming of the Bad News Bears, or go for a hike in Chatsworth Park, or go for a ride down Topanga Canyon and go from mountains to Zuma Beach in under a couple hours.

How can you live anywhere without trees? You might consider somewhere in the SouthWest foothills like Ken Caryl Ranch or along Deer Creek Canyon. You'll be near C-470 and can scoot across E-470 and be in Aurora in no time. I'm not crazy about Aurora myself. You probably get a lot of home for the money there.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:24 PM

If anyone else is interested in American Academy, you may also want to read the reviews from a couple of other parents there.

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/parents/co/2411

Old 12-24-2006, 09:03 AM

99 posts, read 335,755 times
Default American Academy

My kids went to AA last year. I couldn't get them out of that school fast enough. While the academics were good, I feel like my kids are getting a much better education at the new schools that they attend this year. We did not leave AA because of the facilities. I wish it would have been something so simple. We left due to administration and board member issues. The way that the administration treated parents was horrendous. The administration also treated teachers horribly. Children were traumatized after one teacher was let go with only days left in the school year.

A parent was welcome at AA only if they did not voice any displeasure. The children of the board members receive special treatment while other children are punished for things they do. One thing that I would suggest when you look at schools is to not go totally by the CSAP scores. Sometimes they are deceiving. Many parents who left are questioning the validity of them. Parents who volunteered countless hours were the first to leave after last year. Many of the people staying have told me that they have the attitude that they will just ignore what goes on there outside of the education that their children are getting. Others that I have spoken to are leaving after this year.

Gpraceman, I have heard of other kids who were taken off the enrollment list without permission from the parents.

The school preaches that they teach core values yet I didn't see the administration practicing what they preach. One thing that was our saving grace was that my kid's teachers were awesome.

I have heard great things about other charter schools. Littleton Academy and Platte River have great reputations. I would recommend that people who are relocating look into those schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver