Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 AM

286 posts, read 351,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
$2K for a small 2br apartment is very doable.

For job hunting, central is best. Close to I-25.
I agree, but there's still a big difference between I-25 and Colorado/Evans vs. I-25 and dry creek or I-25 and 120th. It would still help to narrow down your options as to where you would most likely be looking (DTC? downtown? other?). If you even have a few ideas as to companies that you might end up working for, it would help in finding an airbnb. For example, there are a bunch of 2/2 condos on airbnb that might be open to a longer term setup in the DTC area. That might work for your situation in tehs short term. But that puts you relatively south compared to something closer in Denver, as DTC is basically as the interface of Denver proper and the southern suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Do not come out here without a job first especially when you have a family to help support. Be smart about this..

Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
I agree, but there's still a big difference between I-25 and Colorado/Evans vs. I-25 and dry creek or I-25 and 120th. It would still help to narrow down your options as to where you would most likely be looking (DTC? downtown? other?). If you even have a few ideas as to companies that you might end up working for, it would help in finding an airbnb. For example, there are a bunch of 2/2 condos on airbnb that might be open to a longer term setup in the DTC area. That might work for your situation in tehs short term. But that puts you relatively south compared to something closer in Denver, as DTC is basically as the interface of Denver proper and the southern suburbs.
I thought that one person was going to to come out and Airbnb while job hunting, then the rest of the family would move once a job was established. If that is the case, I would try to be as close to downtown as possible for the Airbnb. That gives you the best possible central location while scouting for jobs in downtown, Tech Center, Broomfield, etc.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 AM

286 posts, read 351,754 times
Quote:
I thought that one person was going to to come out and Airbnb while job hunting, then the rest of the family would move once a job was established. If that is the case, I would try to be as close to downtown as possible for the Airbnb. That gives you the best possible central location while scouting for jobs in downtown, Tech Center, Broomfield, etc.
fair enough. It does depend on how many are coming out initially and for how long.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:58 AM

67 posts, read 109,461 times
Quote:
This is correct.

I would go out there on my own, first. Is Downtown where the bulk of jobs is concentrated?

For those telling not to move without a job, I know it's risky but I have a back up plan.

My current job allows me to take up to 2yrs off for child care purposes and still be able to come back to it. My wife has a CPA and great work experience on her CV, so job prospects for her at the least of our concerns. She will get a good job anywhere we go.
We also have about 40k to make this happen. Obviously, the idea is to try to spend as little as possible, but cash reserves are there for the move.

Anyway, if the job situation isn't what we thought it would be, we can always come back to NY.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2015 View Post
This is correct.

I would go out there on my own, first. Is Downtown where the bulk of jobs is concentrated?

For those telling not to move without a job, I know it's risky but I have a back up plan.

My current job allows me to take up to 2yrs off for child care purposes and still be able to come back to it. My wife has a CPA and great work experience on her CV, so job prospects for her at the least of our concerns. She will get a good job anywhere we go.
We also have about 40k to make this happen. Obviously, the idea is to try to spend as little as possible, but cash reserves are there for the move.

Anyway, if the job situation isn't what we thought it would be, we can always come back to NY.
There are several large employment centers, but downtown is the largest and it is central. The Denver Tech Center is another large employment center and it is south of downtown. The Broomfield/Boulder area also has a large employment base and is north of Downtown. There are various other areas around town that have decent sized employment centers, but these are the largest. Look at neighborhoods with good I-25 access and close to downtown as a base for job hunting. On the map below, "CBD" is Central Business District downtown. If not downtown, the neighborhoods Lincoln Park, Baker, West Washington Park, and Platt Park are all right next to I-25 and would make good bases.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
There are several large employment centers, but downtown is the largest and it is central. The Denver Tech Center is another large employment center and it is south of downtown. The Broomfield/Boulder area also has a large employment base and is north of Downtown. There are various other areas around town that have decent sized employment centers, but these are the largest. Look at neighborhoods with good I-25 access and close to downtown as a base for job hunting. On the map below, "CBD" is Central Business District downtown. If not downtown, the neighborhoods Lincoln Park, Baker, West Washington Park, and Platt Park are all right next to I-25 and would make good bases.
Great info.

Much appreciated!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Quote:
I meant as a start point, say from the moment I get a temp AirBnB rental.
What's an strategic, yet affordable area, that would allow me to get to various points of the city when job hunting?

My credit is >750, not sure if that's considered stellar but I think is fairly good.
So much depends on your strategy. You can really go cheap on an AirBnB if you take a room in a house with a shared bathroom. Or you can go with a whole 2 bdrm condo for alot more money.

I'm not quite sure what you do so don't know if your future potential employers include private companies or are you more likely to be employed by city governments or maybe the Federal center in Lakewood?

However, your CPA wife is likely highly employable and could end up anywhere from the DTC, Denver, Boulder, the 36 corridor between Denver and Boulder or really any outlying suburb. Does she have experience with a hospital, law firm, tech. company, Fortune 500 etc.? Hard to say who will have the most interest in her background.

So here is what I would do. Who ever gets the most interest from future employers picks their first AirBnB location based on that interest. Take the 1st AirBnB for a week. Then depending on where the job hunt leads that person, jump around based on where the interest is. I would not want to be stuck in central Denver if my future jobs were in the DTC, Boulder, Lakewood, or any of the suburbs.

Alot depends on the type of neighborhood you see yourself in. Denver Metro (defined as Denver and all outlying connected towns which is a really big area, yes including Boulder although the Boulderites hate that) is unique in that all areas have great neighborhoods. All jobs have great neighborhoods within bicycling distance. The central Denver neighborhoods are great as are the outlying suburbs which were originally mostly farming towns so many have quaint old town downtowns. Plus the new urban walkable concept has taken off so newer infill builds are often walkable with tiny lots and shops. And you can be connected to downtown by the train system in many areas. There are so many choices beyond, safe and good schools, but they all hinge on job location.

Here are some examples.
Wife gets a lead on job with Celestial Season's Teas in Boulder so she takes an AirBnB in Boulder or Longmont.
You get the most interest but it is the Federal Center in Lakewood. You take an AirBnB near Belmar in Lakewood for more new urban or Green Mountain for more suburban.
You find that Centennial is hiring or she finds a lead for the DTC in south Denver. You take an AirBnB in Centennial, Highlands Ranch or South Aurora because you want more suburban.
She gets interest from a private law firm in Denver. She takes an AirBnB in Stapleton or Lowry because you like the new urban concept.
One of you gets interest along the 36 corridor so you select something in Broomfield or Westminster.
You get a lead with Thornton or Brighton, you take an AirBnB in Thornton.

Everything here will be way less dense and crowded than NYC. You will have to get used to making eye contact and saying Hi to strangers. You will have a bit of a culture shock. Staying a week at a time in different AirBnBs will be a tremendous advantage to getting an overview of the metro area.

Edit: While I was writing all that more info came in on OPs situation but I still think it is a good idea to choose the AirBnBs based on job potential and move around during the search. If city governments are potential employers for the OP then he could end up anywhere.

Last edited by mic111; 05-16-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
So much depends on your strategy. You can really go cheap on an AirBnB if you take a room in a house with a shared bathroom. Or you can go with a whole 2 bdrm condo for alot more money.

I'm not quite sure what you do so don't know if your future potential employers include private companies or are you more likely to be employed by city governments or maybe the Federal center in Lakewood?

However, your CPA wife is likely highly employable and could end up anywhere from the DTC, Denver, Boulder, the 36 corridor between Denver and Boulder or really any outlying suburb. Does she have experience with a hospital, law firm, tech. company, Fortune 500 etc.? Hard to say who will have the most interest in her background.

So here is what I would do. Who ever gets the most interest from future employers picks their first AirBnB location based on that interest. Take the 1st AirBnB for a week. Then depending on where the job hunt leads that person, jump around based on where the interest is. I would not want to be stuck in central Denver if my future jobs where in the DTC, Boulder, Lakewood, or any of the suburbs.

Alot depends on the type of neighborhood you see yourself in. Denver is unique in that all areas have great neighborhoods. All jobs have great neighborhoods within bicycling distance. The central Denver neighborhoods are great as are the outlying suburbs which were originally mostly farming towns so many have quaint old town downtowns. Plus the new urban walkable concept has taken off so newer infill builds are often walkable with tiny lots and shops. And you can be connected to downtown by the train system in many areas. There are so many choices beyond, safe and good schools, but they all hinge on job location.

Here are some examples.
Wife gets a lead on job with Celestial Season's Teas in Boulder so she takes an AirBnB in Boulder or Longmont.
You get the most interest but it is the Federal Center in Lakewood. You take an AirBnB near Belmar in Lakewood for more new urban or Green Mountain for more suburban.
You find that Centennial is hiring or she finds a lead for the DTC in south Denver. You take an AirBnB in Centennial, Highlands Ranch or South Aurora because you want more suburban.
She gets interest from a private law firm in Denver. She takes an AirBnB in Stapleton or Lowry because you like the new urban concept.
One of you gets interest along the 36 corridor so you select something in Broomfield or Westminster.
You get a lead with Thornton or Brighton, you take an AirBnB in Thornton.

Everything here will be way less dense and crowded than NYC. You will have to get used to making eye contact and saying Hi to strangers. You will have a bit of a culture shock. Staying a week at a time in different AirBnBs will be a tremendous advantage to getting an overview of the metro area.

Edit: While I was writing all that more info came in on OPs situation but I still think it is a good idea to choose the AirBnBs based on job potential and move around during the search. If city governments are potential employers for the OP then he could end up anywhere.

This is a good idea.

I would like to get a feel of the city before deciding on a neighborhood, but as you correctly point out, the most important factor influencing that decision will the our job locations.

My experience is almost entirely with city gov't, so I guess I should try that first. Is Lakewood the area that concentrates these type of jobs?

My wife has experience in non profits, but her latest job was with a fortune 500 insurance company.

Thanks for the helpful input.

I'm saving all these tips for when the time to execute the plan comes.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:13 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Quote:
My experience is almost entirely with city gov't, so I guess I should try that first. Is Lakewood the area that concentrates these type of jobs?
Lakewood has the federal center but will also have it's own city government. As do all the outlying cities. However your experience is with a gigantic city, NYC, and were little tiny cities. Denver is likely your best bet at 665K population. Next in the metro area is Aurora at 350K and Lakewood at 150K. Thornton is next at 120K and has quite a bit of explosive growth as they are getting rail in 2018 so are building out stations as well as have quite a bit of new housing developments, shopping etc. Adams County and Denver near DIA both got approved last year for big build outs near the airport. So hotels, shopping, housing will be exploding around DIA which likely means city/county planning jobs. Aurora is always growing and hasn't been known for it's smart growth so who knows, maybe there are opportunities there.

I hate to say it but the sense I get when dealing with city employees is that likely nepotism is what got them their jobs so your likely looking at only the bigger cities with large projects that need specific skills that you offer which can't be found among friends and family.

I bolded those entities that have large scale expansion plans in the coming years that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver