Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:52 PM

111 posts, read 110,701 times

Advertisements

Where do you buy Used Car in Denver / Boulder area?

Ive checked on Craiglist, on the "owner" section but all I see is dealers posting in the wrong category, moist of cars are dealers and maybe 2% are legit private car owners. Is there other website where I can buy directly from private owners?

any advise i would greatly appreciate. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 05:09 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Harry's. But that was 30 years ago.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:05 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
try auto trader and cars.com, also try some of the new aps to sell cars.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:15 AM

399 posts, read 816,908 times
New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars for Sale and Reviews at Autotrader is the website I used when I was looking for a used car. Just remember that they obviously give search preferences to their paid customers and put the "free" ads behind everyone else so you really need to go through all of the pages when you run a search on their website.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:23 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
I don't. I have purchased my last 4 cars out of state. There are far better deals to be had out there if you are willing to buy a $200-300 one way ticket and drive home. Especially if you are looking for AWD vehicles.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:25 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I don't. I have purchased my last 4 cars out of state. There are far better deals to be had out there if you are willing to buy a $200-300 one way ticket and drive home. Especially if you are looking for AWD vehicles.
We have done this 5 times, although "only" 3 of them required a one way plane ticket. We've done it with both new and classic vehicles. In the case of the new cars we bought, we lived in small cities and dealer inventory was limited. My husband would use auto trader to find the exact options, color, mileage etc he wanted and just fly up to a large city within about a 200-300 mile range that had what he wanted, and drive the vehicle back.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 AM

191 posts, read 230,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
^^^^ Reading this piqued my interest! Care to elaborate on what states and/or city(s) you buy your cars in?? If "it's a secret" or "then everybody will start doing it" you can also just PM me.

I'm currently in the market for a higher MPG car but haven't pulled the trigger yet, just doing research and window-shopping online (looking to replace my aging, gas-guzzler SUV). I understand some states do not have a sales tax (but CO does), so if I can find something in a lower/no tax state that would be AWESOME.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2016, 12:14 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
^^^^ Reading this piqued my interest! Care to elaborate on what states and/or city(s) you buy your cars in?? If "it's a secret" or "then everybody will start doing it" you can also just PM me.

I'm currently in the market for a higher MPG car but haven't pulled the trigger yet, just doing research and window-shopping online (looking to replace my aging, gas-guzzler SUV). I understand some states do not have a sales tax (but CO does), so if I can find something in a lower/no tax state that would be AWESOME.

Thanks
No big secret. I just search autotrader, cars.com and eBay nationwide. Certain cars command more of a premium in certain markets. In Colorado, you pay more for AWD vehicles than you do in say Florida or Arizona. I imagine RWD convertibles are cheaper in Colorado than they are in Southern California. Also, by expanding your search pool, there are obviously more options.

I have bought from both private parties and dealerships. If buying lightly used from a dealer and the car is still under warranty, the risk is quite low. Private party transactions with vehicles that are out of warranty are more complicated but I feel there are ways to do this safely. I can elaborate if you are in that boat.

You won't save on sales tax because you pay that when you register the vehicle here.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:21 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post

Thanks
If, as a CO resident, you bring the car back to CO for titling and registration, CO and your county of residence will collect "sales & use" tax at that time.

See item B on page 6 of https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...e%20Manual.pdf

Old 08-04-2016, 10:41 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
I bought my last car at EchoPark. They have a great selection of vehicles and a very modern sales process (iPads, etc.). For the most part, their salespeople are actually into cars, and don't pressure you.

There are a couple of boutique dealers like The Sharpest Rides, Maximum Auto search, and others that do heavy marketing on Craigslist. Those are good if your looking for a very specific used vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver