Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:01 AM

18 posts, read 18,178 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. I know Denver is expensive as hell which is why I said 15 to 30 min from Denver. I did a search on Zillow for apartments less than $1,100 and saw many choices all around Denver and surrounding areas. What about Ft. Collins. That any better for my unrealistic desires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I think you need to visit. I worry that you have this idea of a scenic mountain community that just doesn't exist in Metro Denver, unless you consider Evergreen to be part of Metro Denver.

Also, have you been to Colorado Springs? News about the political climate aside, there are neighboring cities, like Manitou Springs, or parts of the Springs like Old Colorado City, that you may like. There are a lot of outdoor opportunities and you may find better living arrangements for the price you are willing to pay.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
What are your job skills?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:14 AM

Hmm. I was really set on somewhere somewhat near Denver as that seems like the place to be for events and such. Colorado Springs sounds good but mj being illegal there is a real bummer. I lied about the "small plus". Mj being legal is a huge plus in CO.

Job skills: not a whole lot but i'm a super fast learner and very hard worker. Aside from serving jobs, I have years of experience at a financial institution. I've been a teller, moved to another department where I did nothing but implement new products/projects and system conversions. Now I'm in IT where my job duty includes working to ensure the stability of the database and core banking system, along with other things. I'm interested in the mj careers that CO has to offer however.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 AM

So I'm reading more and CO Springs seems like a decent choice (lower rent, less traffic, quieter). I have been there also and loved the views. Is the education and job market decent there?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 AM

760 posts, read 883,700 times
+ 1 For suggesting a visit. I agree that I think you have a vision for Denver that does not exist.

Available MJ jobs are almost non existent and typically do not pay more than $12 an hour. I have a few friends that moved here trying to get into the industry and they ended up leaving after a year or so. They are not stable, you will be fighting with dozens of other applicants, hours are short, and you will probably end up working at one more than an hour away. The reality is that if you wanted to work in the MJ industry, you needed to get here and become established before 2014. There are just too many people coming here for the same reasons. It would be one thing if you were single and could handle the sacrifices, but if you get into a bad situation, it wouldn't be fair to your family JUST to be able to live in the state.

If you can live here without the MJ, and really want to live here for the mountains, you should consider the cities away from Denver as those will be cheaper. If you are really hard set on the MJ industry, I would suggest planning a move to one of the other 9 states that have it on the ballot so you can get into it.

The other thing you have to consider is your COL and how much you want to spend on recreation. If you guys are scraping by, you won't be able to spend any time going to the mountains...a reality that doesn't set in for some transplants until they get here.

I'm not saying you should rule out Denver yet, but I think you need to come up with a plan and figure out exactly what you are looking for, and see Denver for yourself before you make such a big move on your family. Also, if you are not planning on starting a move until Feb, I would really try to get a job before you move here. Jobs are plentiful here, but only for minimum wage or high tech skilled labor.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
+ 1 For suggesting a visit. I agree that I think you have a vision for Denver that does not exist.

Available MJ jobs are almost non existent and typically do not pay more than $12 an hour. I have a few friends that moved here trying to get into the industry and they ended up leaving after a year or so. They are not stable, you will be fighting with dozens of other applicants, hours are short, and you will probably end up working at one more than an hour away. The reality is that if you wanted to work in the MJ industry, you needed to get here and become established before 2014. There are just too many people coming here for the same reasons. It would be one thing if you were single and could handle the sacrifices, but if you get into a bad situation, it wouldn't be fair to your family JUST to be able to live in the state.

If you can live here without the MJ, and really want to live here for the mountains, you should consider the cities away from Denver as those will be cheaper. If you are really hard set on the MJ industry, I would suggest planning a move to one of the other 9 states that have it on the ballot so you can get into it.

The other thing you have to consider is your COL and how much you want to spend on recreation. If you guys are scraping by, you won't be able to spend any time going to the mountains...a reality that doesn't set in for some transplants until they get here.

I'm not saying you should rule out Denver yet, but I think you need to come up with a plan and figure out exactly what you are looking for, and see Denver for yourself before you make such a big move on your family. Also, if you are not planning on starting a move until Feb, I would really try to get a job before you move here. Jobs are plentiful here, but only for minimum wage or high tech skilled labor.

Thanks. I'm not set on an mj job, just something I thought about as another option but it didn't really seem feasible. CO Springs is looking more and more like my place. At least for the first year or two.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
LA hot and humid? Lol.. if you're bored in LA, then you aren't going to enjoy Denver.
LA = Louisiana. Not Los Angeles in this case.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:13 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1126 View Post
Greetings. I'm looking for input on where to move to in Colorado. I've lived in Louisiana forever and have always dreamed of moving to CO. I plan to make that a reality in February. It will be me, my wife, and 3 year old son. We will not have jobs lined up but I should have close to a year's worth of rent/expenses saved up so I'm confident I can find a job before that runs out.
Oh man, how familiar this sounds. If I could only download what I've learned and pass it on to you. In a nutshell, I say a huge "Don't do it!" Some of the particulars are different (different state, though bordering it), a daughter added, and moving in a different month, but much the rest is similar. I'll try to hit the biggies to consider:

If you've lived in Louisiana forever, you'll never get it out of your system. I don't mean that in a negative sense. It's just that everything you've learned (especially when it comes to people) will be based on a particular cultural system. CO is based on a different system, and many more are relocating here from the north (which is an even greater difference). I can go in more detail if you message me directly.

Don't assume that it will be easy to get a job here. I've been here 4 years, and it's been getting worse over time. I have a bachelor's degree (which was more than adequate where I used to live), but probably ought to have a masters or doctorate in CO. The COL is much worse here than my research showed beforehand. Pay and benefits have been much crappier than what I'm used to.

That savings you're counting on? You might have to kiss it goodbye. It took awhile, but my savings is mostly burned up. When one believes in his or her dream, and wants to hold out on hope, and give it "a more time", it's hard to steer away from the path. It's easy to believe in it all until the last cold moment of reality comes fully crashing down. Ouch.

It's the biggest mistake I've ever made, and has turned out nothing like what I was expecting or planning on. There are other factors to keep in mind as well: being far away from family and long-time / true friends, missing the environment on one's youth, familiar places, and familiar people. The distance from family is especially painful, being so close and so similar, and always near. Not having anyone even remotely similar nearby can feel like exile. It might turn out different for you of course, but I have to share what I've encountered.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-16-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the input. I've thought about all of this numerous times but I cant bare to stay here any longer. LA is not for us. We are much different than the typical LA people. And the kid. I cant possibly imagine him growing up here. I'll take the risk and the worst that could happen is I move back.

So from what I have gathered, CO Springs is the most affordable and has probably the best outdoor views/activities, but the job market is much less diverse and not very promising. And the trip to denver from springs is a pain in the ass.

Denver is crazy expensive but has better job options which will be very crucial in my surviving.

I want to be somewhere thats at most 45 minutes from mountains or parks/trails. But I also want to be somewhere 20 to 30 min from a city with numerous job options.

Zillow is returning a lot of results to the west of Denver in places like Lakewood, Arvada, Westminster, etc..And I've hear Aurora mentioned plenty. I know it'll be hard to find what I'm looking for but are none of these places around Denver viable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver