Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:15 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,286 times

Advertisements

...and although I agree that the lawsuit against them had little chance of winning, I really question why a company would think this is a good business move. Sounds penny wise and pound foolish to me. Most of the arguments for this are simply to teach people a lesson not to bring frivolous lawsuits to court. From a business perspective, they had a golden opportunity to be heroes and gain some tremendous goodwill. They could have taken their victory in court and said something like "While we are grateful the court agreed and found us not at fault, our deepest sympathies have always remained with the victims and their families. We have chosen to decline to collect the sum from the plaintiffs, but instead have offered 10,00 free movie tickets to (insert charity here, preferably something having to do with families of victims of gun violence.) They would have gained millions of dollars worth of free P.R. Theaters would have made money on snack sales (that's where they make most their money). People who get a free ticket bring along some paying guests and talk about the movie creating vital word-of-mouth. If they had a nice time at the theater, they return to see other movies. And yet they think trying to receive $700K makes more sense. Sounds to me that Mr. Syufy is listening to some pretty dumb advice from his advisors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Can you provide a link to the story you read?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:15 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I agree, I think this is a PR nightmare. We were actually at that theater the weekend before the shooting, but I'll never go again - not because of the shooting itself but because of the way things have been handled afterwards, including this. I understand that they defended themselves. But a big corporation did not have to go after victims for $700,000 in court costs.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
As much as I think the theater has a right to recoup their court costs, do they honestly think that they will actually get this money? So, to prove a point, they are going to spend even more money to win a case in which they get nothing in return. I think a simple speech to the media about frivolous lawsuits could send the same message.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Cinemark seeks $700,000 from Aurora theater shootings victims after winning lawsuit over liability

Quote:
Cinemark, the company that owns the Aurora cineplex where 12 people were murdered in 2012, is seeking nearly $700,000 from several victims of the attack who unsuccessfully sued the theater chain.

Lawyers for Cinemark earlier this month filed a “bill of costs” for $699,187.13 in Arapahoe County District Court. Colorado court rules say that the winning side in a civil case is allowed to recover its litigation costs.
Wow, what a terrible, terrible thing to happen to these people. Why would you go after the victims of this tragedy?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
there are lots of stories, just google Aurora shooting and they should pop up.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:34 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Most large companies today do not think long term and if you can't put the dollars on a spread sheet with 100% certainty, i.e. How much will they add to the bottom line by following your goodwill idea, they are not interested. It is all about grabbing every last penny TODAY.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Most large companies today do not think long term and if you can't put the dollars on a spread sheet with 100% certainty, i.e. How much will they add to the bottom line by following your goodwill idea, they are not interested. It is all about grabbing every last penny TODAY.
A lot of this has to do with the fact that executives are beholden to stockholders and quarterly performance metrics. Even if they had goodwill, if they are a publicly traded company, the bottom line and ROI trumps all else.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:01 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
These people better take this deal.

Cinemark offers deal to theater shooting victims who owe them $700,000 | 9news.com

Old 09-02-2016, 07:36 AM

92 posts, read 98,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
This is absolutely not true. Corporations generally have a very long term view. Do they also have a short term view/goals that relates to investors? Yes.

In this cause the plaintiffs are appealing the ruling. The 700k is leverage. If any of them continue on with the appeal process they might pursue the legal fees. This was decided both in Colorado and at the federal level so I can't imagine why any of them would be appealing, except for bad advice from greedy lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver