Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:05 PM

21 posts, read 19,697 times

Advertisements

i've been drawn to colorado for a while now. i'm aware of its weather and how arid it is. i'm moving from upstate NY where the winters suck and the summer can be very humid. i'm looking to move next fall, so i have a little less than a year to get ready. i'm single with no kids or family, making my move easier than most. my first step is to land a job. any advice or resources i should be looking for? employers generally wont interview out of state applicants. the apartment will be the last thing on my list obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 12:53 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,654,120 times
What kind of work will you be looking for?

Old 12-08-2016, 12:57 PM

17,736 posts, read 29,980,643 times
What are your salary/wage expectations?

Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
What kind of work will you be looking for?

im an open book at the moment. i have a degree in sport management, so maybe something in outdoor recreation. i defiantly wont be doing anything sales or retail related. i have experience in banking and sales. trying to start a new chapter!

Old 12-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What are your salary/wage expectations?
i'm paying $810 for rent right now so ideally i'd like to keep rent about the same. i'm looking at 35-40k given my background and experience

Old 12-08-2016, 04:40 PM

29 posts, read 28,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdstwin View Post
i'm paying $810 for rent right now so ideally i'd like to keep rent about the same. i'm looking at 35-40k given my background and experience
By time you get here next year (even if you moved today), $810 for rent is a studio at best. Next year the average rent for a 1-bedroom in Denver will probably be about $1,300.

35 - 40k will not do it in Denver.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 PM

45 posts, read 130,419 times
For applying to jobs before moving: if have any friends or family in Denver (or anywhere in CO), use their address on your resume and sign up for Google Voice to get a Denver area code. It'll help you look like a local and avoid getting your application tossed by those who don't want to consider out of state applicants, which is somewhat more common here due to some people being so opposed to transplants.

You'll still run into issues from having to fly to Denver on short notice for interviews, unless you can talk them into phone or Skype interviews, so hopefully you are prepared for that. Job hunting from so far away can be difficult, so don't get discouraged if it takes a while.

Good luck though, once you get a job lined up and move out here all the headaches to make it happen will be worth it.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankonia View Post
For applying to jobs before moving: if have any friends or family in Denver (or anywhere in CO), use their address on your resume and sign up for Google Voice to get a Denver area code. It'll help you look like a local and avoid getting your application tossed by those who don't want to consider out of state applicants, which is somewhat more common here due to some people being so opposed to transplants.

You'll still run into issues from having to fly to Denver on short notice for interviews, unless you can talk them into phone or Skype interviews, so hopefully you are prepared for that. Job hunting from so far away can be difficult, so don't get discouraged if it takes a while.

Good luck though, once you get a job lined up and move out here all the headaches to make it happen will be worth it.
no family or friends in the area. just a fresh start for myself! i have landed an internship out of state before via skypeso im well versed with that tech

Old 12-09-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNative76 View Post
By time you get here next year (even if you moved today), $810 for rent is a studio at best. Next year the average rent for a 1-bedroom in Denver will probably be about $1,300.

35 - 40k will not do it in Denver.
when i say denver, i mean within greater denver. 35-40K will most certainly provide for me. real estate will defiantly be more expensive than upsate NY... thanks for your input !

Old 12-09-2016, 08:47 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,198,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdstwin View Post
when i say denver, i mean within greater denver. 35-40K will most certainly provide for me. real estate will defiantly be more expensive than upsate NY... thanks for your input !
You're going to have to live with roommates most likely, unless you live way out in the boonies. But then, is it even worth it? I mean, I live about 10 miles from downtown and I feel like that is far enough without feeling isolated from the rest of the young professional scene. It really depends on what lifestyle you're looking for.

Anyone who owns property here is capitalizing on the gravy train of helpless young people who are flooding the region looking for "a change in scenery". So expect to pay $900+ for even the most run-down rentals. With roommates, you can probably expect to pay anywhere between $600-$1000/mo for your run of the mill rental. My GF is a high school teacher and makes between $45k and $50k and she even had to live with roommates in order to pay around what you're expecting to pay.

Not trying to rain on your parade; just trying to be realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver