Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 4,318 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I need a change of pace. I am AA, single mom & lesbian moving from Baltimore and strongly considering Denver. I hear it is a beautiful place and opportunities in my career field are plentiful. But I do have a number of questions. 1) What is the best high school out there? What area should I move to to get my kids into that high school or are charters a better option? If so, which charter? 2) Is it a good place for African Americans/LGBT? 3) What is the art scene like? My kids and I are performing artists (Spoken word, musicians, actors, directors) and would really like to get into the art scene wherever we land. 4) Are medical care options good?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,587,738 times
Budget is going to dictate a lot. What do you want to spend? Buy or rent? Home/apartment? How many bedrooms? Yard?

Have you ever visited?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
Denver has a very low AA population compared to East coast cities. That may or may not be a deciding factor but something to be aware of.

As for schools, it depends on what you are looking for. There is a magnet performing arts school in Denver, but it's audition based, so living near by doesn't guarantee acceptance (although makes it easier logistically if your kids get in). There are many other good high schools both within the Denver Public School system and in the surrounding suburbs, but there is no single "best" school, you'll have to do the research to figure out what is the best one for your kids. Art scene overall is reasonably good. Medical care is good with several large teaching hospitals and research institutions.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:59 AM

@ Skydog77 I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom apt with my top budget being $1700 depending on amenities. I am visiting for the first time early next month. I prefer to rent right now as I would like to take 1-2 years to determine if I want to stay in the city and at the job. I would like to be in an artsy area, walking or close enough to public transportation to shops, restaurants, etc so I do not have to drive as much. I am less concerned about a yard, and prefer a pool and a gym. I am open to a house or apt. I just do not want to be in a bad area.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:02 AM

@emm74 Which suburbs are the best to consider? I have heard of Colorado Springs and Aurora, but I have no clue where they are in relation to Denver. Then I hear Colorado Springs is very conservative, which may not be the best fit for me.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:06 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe9300 View Post
@emm74 Which suburbs are the best to consider? I have heard of Colorado Springs and Aurora, but I have no clue where they are in relation to Denver. Then I hear Colorado Springs is very conservative, which may not be the best fit for me.
Aurora is a bordering city to Denver, but it's huge, over 150 sq feet. The schools in Northwest Aurora tend to be not that good. Parts of Aurora are in the Cherry Creek school district which has a very good reputation. Aurora has some great stuff though including a lot of support of the arts - I live right on the border of Denver and Aurora and try to take advantage of a lot of the cultural activities in Aurora because they are convenient and less expensive than downtown Denver.

Colorado Springs is 70+ miles away, and yes, definitely tends to more conservative. Douglas County also tends to be more conservative. Boulder is the most liberal area, but also very pricey. The other areas around Denver are more live and let live.

I would focus on finding a job first and then using the job location to figure out where to live - it's a sprawling metro area and it's much easier if you live in the same general area/quadrant as where you work.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM

@emm74 Thanks for the info!

Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,405,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Colorado Springs is 70+ miles away, and yes, definitely tends to more conservative. Douglas County also tends to be more conservative. Boulder is the most liberal area, but also very pricey. The other areas around Denver are more live and let live.

I would focus on finding a job first and then using the job location to figure out where to live - it's a sprawling metro area and it's much easier if you live in the same general area/quadrant as where you work.
Yes, Colorado Springs does tend to project a more conservative view due to some very large, outspoken evangelical headquarters that are located here. However, there also is a LGBT population here and because of the constant influx of military, a very live and let live attitude among a variety of races and orientations.

I do agree that work locations should come first, then determine housing based on that.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 1,831 times
You might consider looking into Denver School of the Arts. Its a magnet school for grades 6-12 and highly focused on drama, writing, dance, music, design, etc. The school is located in the Park Hill area, so if you wanted to start scouting rentals you could search using the terms Park Hill, North Park Hill or south Park Hill.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,886,734 times
Default Yes, no, maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMcCarthy View Post
You might consider looking into Denver School of the Arts.
Admission by audition only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver