Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:29 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot5 View Post
Been looking for a house in the West-Denver to Golden area for several months now. I've noticed many (most?) of the homes in Wheat Ridge/Arvada/Lakewood/Edgewater can only see their neighbor or some trees.

If you bought one of those, do you regret not spending more/waiting longer to find a house with a view?

Growing up in FoCo and going to school in Boulder, almost every place I've lived in has had a mountain view. Now that I'm ready to buy a house, I know I'd miss not having the view, but it's hard to actually place a value on it.

Do you give up objective features (house size/quality, lot size, location) for the subjective (mountain view)?
I only bought my house because of the view. And it's not a full view by any means, however, the fact that you could see mountains from master bedroom window was the only thing that made me even consider this house. So, the view is very important to me. For my "empty-nester" home I will be looking for something with a good un-obscured view of the mountains. I already started my list of Denver metro suburbs and neighborhoods that have a view.

ETA: added a photo. It was taken with the screen off my bedroom window on the best possible time of the year. Once the leaves on the trees come in fully, 30% of this view disappears.
Attached Thumbnails
How much do you value a view of the mountains?-view.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
The more time you spend at home, the more you appreciate a view (perfect for retirement or WFH).

Old 01-25-2017, 12:41 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot5 View Post
Been looking for a house in the West-Denver to Golden area for several months now. I've noticed many (most?) of the homes in Wheat Ridge/Arvada/Lakewood/Edgewater can only see their neighbor or some trees.

If you bought one of those, do you regret not spending more/waiting longer to find a house with a view?

Growing up in FoCo and going to school in Boulder, almost every place I've lived in has had a mountain view. Now that I'm ready to buy a house, I know I'd miss not having the view, but it's hard to actually place a value on it.

Do you give up objective features (house size/quality, lot size, location) for the subjective (mountain view)?
One problem with your view search may the fact that you are looking too far West. I live just east of Boulder, and any street corner in our neighborhood has a great view of Flatirons. Drive down to Boulder, and you can barely see anything.
I also love a view of Continental Divide driving west from Lafayette into Boulder on Arapahoe rd.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:58 PM

137 posts, read 197,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
Maybe it's just me, but after a few years living here, the mountains just became something that were there. The "awe" over seeing them faded ever so slightly each year. I still see them pretty much every day that I leave my house, so it's not as if I'm missing out on them. I don't think I'd pay a steep premium just to get a glimpse of them each day from my living room. Some of the better views can actually be had in the less expensive areas of town, believe it or not, mostly due to the fact that those areas sit higher up than Denver.
I lived in SE and SCentral Alaska much of my childhood; even more hardcore than the front range on views. I don't really notice the mountains much, but I do notice if I'm somewhere flat. I think I just kind of take it for granted.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 PM

126 posts, read 145,672 times
A mountain view has never even occurred to me when house shopping. I grew up here. Like many native/long-timers, I really don't even notice that they're there.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:36 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
I lived in SE and SCentral Alaska much of my childhood; even more hardcore than the front range on views. I don't really notice the mountains much, but I do notice if I'm somewhere flat. I think I just kind of take it for granted.
This hit the nail on the head for me. I don't always notice when they're there, but definitely notice when they're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver