Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...ps-to-2-4.html
"Metro Denver's unadjusted unemployment rate dropped to 2.4 percent in March, down from 3.6 percent one year ago....
The 2.4 percent unadjusted jobless rate is for a 10-county area that includes Denver, Aurora, Lakewood, Broomfield and Centennial, but not Boulder County. The rate was 2 percent in Boulder County.
In Denver alone, the March unadjusted jobless rate was 2.4 percent, down from 3.3 percent in February.
Elsewhere in the Denver metro area,..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostontosomewhere1 View Post
Hi, I'm looking to leave Boston and some friends in Denver say come there. I work in healthcare, so I should be able to find something. I like freshwater kayaking, not white water, snowshoe occasionally, like biking (not off road). Are winters brighter than Boston?
Good luck with kayaking here. The only lakes/reservoirs you'll find will be not that pretty and will be packed on nice days. CO does have a lot of activities, but this one is pretty lacking here.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:40 PM

49 posts, read 47,420 times
Agree - also from NJ. CO winters are much less bitter, and there are always nice days mixed in where you can easily take a walk, and occasionally even golf or ride a bike. And the snow typically melts. The bad news is, on the east coast, when winter is over, its over. Here it just keeps coming - like this weekend we are going to have snow and it is almost May!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Yes, the winters here are extremely nice. Many sunny days, cool and crisp air, and beautiful snowfall when it happens. It melts within a few days, and this past winter was mild. The cool, breezy evenings and nights here are amazing, and I've grown to love this. It's taken me a little while to get used to it, but I've grown to really enjoy and appreciate the great state of Colorado. In general, the people here are very laid back, friendly, and pleasant. It's a biking and snowshoe Mecca.
Hey, good to hear you're doing well. Chloe is my gf's name.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostontosomewhere1 View Post
Hi, I'm looking to leave Boston and some friends in Denver say come there. I work in healthcare, so I should be able to find something. I like freshwater kayaking, not white water, snowshoe occasionally, like biking (not off road). Are winters brighter than Boston?
Winters are brighter than in Boston, but Boston isn't too shabby in that regard. Boston winters include a fair bit of bright sun and blue sky. The precip in eastern MA falls mostly in the warm season, i.e., as rain. In Denver, precip in winter is nearly guaranteed to be snow (unlike Boston), so you should consider this if you hate snow.

While non-WW kayaking exists near Denver, it is nothing like the numerous lakes and ponds in the Boston area. For one thing, in CO, freshwater lakes tend to get a heavy concentration of jet skiiers and powerboats. The reservoirs closest to Denver are some of the worst in this regard. It is doable--I took up kayaking when I lived in the Front Range, and I spent many hours paddling among the "stinkpots" (sailboater's term for powerboats). But it is not peaceful except off season, which is very limited due to administrative restrictions caused by precautions against zebra mussel infestation. There are some places that do not allow gas motors, though (Gross Reservoir northwest of Boulder, Aurora Reservoir, Union Reservoir near Longmont).

Snowshoeing will be disappointing unless you drive more than an hour away, most winters. Snow in the Denver area varies from an inch every other day to nothing for weeks, followed by a big dump. In between, there is likely to be some chinooky time during which existing snow on the ground sublimates, or it melts during the warmest part of the day and freezes at night.

The area does offer good cycling, both on and off road, as well as hiking. I rode all year round, though the mtn biking was very much curtailed in winter.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
Westword : " There's a lot of work out there, and the quality of life in Denver is great because of the outdoors and because it's hip. We've got all these great things going on. But is your quality of life impacted because you have to drive for Uber at night and on the weekends or having to move back to your parents' basement?"

Old 07-04-2017, 07:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,148,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeh777 View Post
Agree - also from NJ. CO winters are much less bitter, and there are always nice days mixed in where you can easily take a walk, and occasionally even golf or ride a bike. And the snow typically melts. The bad news is, on the east coast, when winter is over, its over. Here it just keeps coming - like this weekend we are going to have snow and it is almost May!
Yes, but sometimes our springs are almost as bad as our winters. This year we capped off our typical dark and cold winter with three months of nearly uninterrupted gray skies and/or rain. I live in Connecticut and I too am a little worn out by the northeastern weather. It's been pretty nice since summer hit, but I had a dream the other night that summer was already over and I was horrified by how quickly it went! Would love to relocate to sunnier Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver