Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Denver needs to stop eliminating parking. It's becoming a huge problem.
Agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:29 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This sort of mindset assumes that anything that you personally consider overbuilding shouldn't be built.

As far as I can tell, this project is going to be entirely privately funded. As I said earlier, I'll believe it when shovels hit the dirt, but if they raise the money, I'm all for it. Why can't they take the risk?
I'm in the same boat.

Whether or not it is a good idea depends on the current demand for luxury office/retail space, the amount of space the tower owners can get pre-leased...

I will say I haven't seen skyscrapers abandon halfway through their construction. I've seen smaller scale buildings, like the Northgate area of CO Springs sit vacant for a long time, but it seems unusual for large building projects to be abandon.

I think the tower would look amazing and I hope it goes through cause it would add a lot.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:28 AM

228 posts, read 201,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

I think the tower would look amazing and I hope it goes through cause it would add a lot.
Technically, it's taking away a (parking) lot.

I like the idea of adding some new living/office space, not to mention decor to the skyline, in our downtown area. I personally can't think of any significant issues it would cause. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

As another person mentioned, I would advocate for the retention of parking options as it is already at a premium, but perhaps this building will have a public parking garage built into it that will actually add more parking than the lot it's replacing. Fingers crossed for that.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Hanks View Post
Technically, it's taking away a (parking) lot.

I like the idea of adding some new living/office space, not to mention decor to the skyline, in our downtown area. I personally can't think of any significant issues it would cause. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

As another person mentioned, I would advocate for the retention of parking options as it is already at a premium, but perhaps this building will have a public parking garage built into it that will actually add more parking than the lot it's replacing. Fingers crossed for that.
It's not so much that it adds more parking than it replaces, but that it adds more residents than parking spaces. Denver is only requiring one parking space per unit in most cases. Most units have more than one person living in them so it creates significant problems.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 AM

228 posts, read 201,283 times
Quote:
It's not so much that it adds more parking than it replaces, but that it adds more residents than parking spaces. Denver is only requiring one parking space per unit in most cases. Most units have more than one person living in them so it creates significant problems.
Good point.

If I ever opted to live downtown, and presumably work nearby, I'd probably do away with my car altogether and rely on car sharing and ride sharing programs. At the very most, I'd probably consider sharing one car with my significant other. If I didn't at least work downtown, I don't think I'd even opt to live down there because of the parking issues.

The unfortunate thing about parking downtown is that everyone wants it, but you don't see many people advocating for parking garages to go up in lieu of residential or commercial space. If anything, it's usually the contrary as in this case where a parking lot is being replaced by a hi-rise building.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:19 PM

135 posts, read 153,507 times
Quote:
The last thing downtown needs is more parking. Have you seen how many lots are down there?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
[quote=Thom Hanks;48341078]Technically, it's taking away a (parking) lot.

QUOTE]
Lol, you got me!
Quote:
If people want parking, they can pay for it. I don't know that mandating it is necessarily a good idea. Plus Denver's now getting to the size that you don't have to have a car and if you did want a car, there's plenty of condo options outside of the CBD where you can get that.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times
I like the rendering of how it fits with the surrounding buildings and skyline. Unlike what we saw for those two residential towers - I felt they were totally out of proportion for their designated spot.

This will be pretty cool, if it ever works out!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:23 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times
Quote:
Don't know if I agree. It encourages the use of public transit for those working downtown. I'm completely on board with that. There are enough options allowing you to park in the suburbs and take a train or bus downtown, just how it's supposed to be.
I'm doing just that, and here is my math: parking in my office building garage is $9 for "Early Bird" (in before 7:30 am). Miss that magic time and it's $20. My round trip on a bus is $8.10. Plus I get to take a nap or, at least, not worry about traffic and crazy drivers during rush hour. My commute would only be 10 minutes shorter (under the best circumstances and early enough start) if I was driving. Therefore, I take a bus.

For those rare times when I do need to park downtown, I do get annoyed by all those buildings that replaced parking lots in the last 5 years or so, but it is so rare, and I can usually work around it just fine. There's still plenty of parking downtown if you need to be there for an evening event, like a concert. During the day - public transit is the answer.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:12 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Here's an update to the building, 650 17th St with new updated images. I would be impressed if this gets built, and I will absolutely make another trip sooner to Denver and take pictures of this.

Official website
Home

Quoted from the website:

"Designed by internationally acclaimed architect Carlos Ott, 650 17th Street in downtown Denver will be the city’s tallest building at 75 stories and will offer its most luxurious lifestyle destination to date. The 1,000,000+ square foot tower will be comprised of 248 luxury condominium residences, a boutique hotel, 22,000 square feet of retail space, and over 500 parking spaces. Residents will enjoy not only possibly the most breathtaking views available in Denver, but also an unprecedented collection of amenities, including multiple terraces and pools, a spa with sauna and steam rooms, and a fitness center. In addition, sporting amenities include a half-court basketball court, a bowling alley, and a game lounge with a pool table, foosball, and shuffle board. Children will enjoy a playroom with a custom climbing gym. Bicycle storage, pet grooming, day care, art consultation, and butler service are among many other planned offerings."

Scheduled to break ground in fall 2018.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: