Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:00 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times

Advertisements

If your son tests with a high IQ you may want to consider Stargate.
At A Glance - Stargate School

Can't get in for next year but in future years he could apply.

Homes in the 80023 zip code would be convenient to Legacy High School and Stargate. For example:
1036 Lexington Avenue, Westminster, CO 80023 | MLS 8436651 | Listing Information
or
http://www.recolorado.com/homes-for-...0023-204678929
or
http://www.recolorado.com/homes-for-...0023-205056993

Prospect Ridge Academy is also very popular.
Mission & Vision

I'm always impressed when I hear about the trips the kids are taking, the technology they use in schools, the clubs and activities etc. Sometimes people moving in from other areas, like CA, find their kids so far behind that they brag to their friends back home about how sophisticated the classes are here and how their kids had to catch up.

We also find the kids in the area generally very nice. Legacy High School is right next to a major grocery store and in some places that would be trouble but not here. The kids are very well behaved. On our Nextdoor web site if someone needs shoveling snow in the winter, weeding or rock moving all they have to do is put out a request and a plethora of parents are responding with kids to do the work. Our local outdoor mall, Orchard Town Center is super popular but again, no teenage or kid problems. In fact it is kind of hilarious to go over there on a Sat. or Sun. morning. It is loaded with dads, babies and toddlers at the water play feature. I think all the mom's get the weekend mornings off and dad takes the kids there. The preponderance of little children and dads probably keeps the teenagers from congregating. Weekdays it is alot of mom's and kids. There are various free performances through out the week. It is walking distance from all the homes shown above. Popular for dinner out and a movie.
http://www.theorchardtowncenter.com/go/mallevents.cfm

There are loads of trails in the area. McKay Lake is a popular area. Also walking distance from all the homes above. This listing is on McKay Lake and, although above your price point, shows very nice pictures of the lake.
http://www.recolorado.com/homes-for-...0023-208472089

The area is about 15-20 min from downtown Louisville and Lafayette so those are both easy to get to for an evening out or to attend farmer's markets or festivals. The Broomfield rec. center Paul Derda is the closest but there are a number of other's not far away. You don't have to live in the city to go to the rec. centers. You just pay a slightly different rate if you aren't a resident.
https://www.broomfield.org/Facilitie...ity/Details/42

Last edited by mic111; 07-16-2017 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:30 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
Price
$1,087,500
Beds
Baths
SQ. Feet
Acres
Built
OH darn its in the Broomfield High School district .

Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread", so here I am. I rarely give advice on "best" schools, districts, etc. I do not place much faith in the ratings systems. However, I have never heard of Legacy HS being considered "better" than Broomfield High. I would not make BHS attendance area a deal-breaker. Broomfield High has the largest percentage of students living in the attendance area who attend the neighborhood school of all BVSD high schools (82%; this excludes the students who live in a dual school attendance area) and also has the highest number of students open enrolled IN from outside the district at 604 students. From my experience when my kids did HS gymnastics at BHS, there were a lot of students enrolled there from Adams-12.
http://www.bvsd.org/planning/Documen...%202016-17.pdf

Old 07-17-2017, 10:01 AM

401 posts, read 487,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylw View Post
Thank you so much! I'll look into all of this! The housing is definitely less expensive in Broomfield! But Louisville seems to have more of a "town" vibe with walkability? Can you say what would be the pros of Louisville over Broomfield? Sounds like we should look at both options in any case.

My son would be more into a STEM focused environment. I'll continue homeschooling for grade 6 (this year) and go from there. It's nice to know there are possibly multiple options.
Louisville does have a historic downtown area that has some nice restaurants/breweries etc that could be walkable depending on which neighborhood you lived in. Moxi Bread Company is one of my favorite little bakeries in the area and that is in downtown Louisville. Street fairs are fun and there is a good community feel.

Broomfield is lacking that walkability however it is close to stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, and more chain type restaurants. There are also lots of neighborhood parks and the main Broomfield area that has the library/town hall/ water park/ amphitheater is all in one spot that could be walkable depending once again on what neighborhood you live in. As mentioned the Rec Center is also great and they have mid week concerts in the park and festivals throughout the year including a 4th of July festival.

If you are willing to spend the money and you are looking for a walkable downtown area I would look at the neighborhoods surrounding historic downtown Louisville. Great school district too.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:52 PM

36 posts, read 100,402 times
Well it's set - we are flying our early Saturday morning and will be there until Monday night.

We will take all the advice so far and work with a realtor this weekend looking at the various neighborhoods and houses. I'm hoping we can get a good idea of what is the best fit for us. I'm having heart palpitations because of how quickly this will have to move, especially because high school there starts in one month. Our daughter is NOT happy about this. She is so settled here with a fantastic group of friends, already on the Varsity dance team, etc. but it can't be helped.

Thanks for all the advice so far, and if anyone has more to offer, I'm all ears!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Tammy, remember to drink lots of water upon arrival, this climate and elevation will dry you out quickly. Let us know how it's going if you can.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM

36 posts, read 100,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Tammy, remember to drink lots of water upon arrival, this climate and elevation will dry you out quickly. Let us know how it's going if you can.
Oh thanks so much for the reminder! I forgot about that. And I tend to get nosebleeds whenever I come to Denver for a short trip, so that's always fun too, lol!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM

401 posts, read 487,520 times
Quote:
Well it's set - we are flying our early Saturday morning and will be there until Monday night.

We will take all the advice so far and work with a realtor this weekend looking at the various neighborhoods and houses. I'm hoping we can get a good idea of what is the best fit for us. I'm having heart palpitations because of how quickly this will have to move, especially because high school there starts in one month. Our daughter is NOT happy about this. She is so settled here with a fantastic group of friends, already on the Varsity dance team, etc. but it can't be helped.

Thanks for all the advice so far, and if anyone has more to offer, I'm all ears!
Don't forget the sunscreen too, the sun is closer, hotter and brighter here in Denver. If you have any questions about areas while you are here feel free to jump back on and ask!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Oh thanks so much for the reminder! I forgot about that. And I tend to get nosebleeds whenever I come to Denver for a short trip, so that's always fun too, lol!
Saline spray (regular or gel type) for nosebleeds. Lip Balm. Sunscreen. Sun hat. Sunglasses.

The air is much thinner, the rays of the sun much stronger and brighter, so protect your eyes and your skin.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

Glad the job came through! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver