Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times

Advertisements

Add me to the "can't do humidity anymore" crowd. BTDT. That, along with four seasons, and a higher comfort level with midwest/western culture rather than eastern/southern culture. But it really depends on what YOU like and are comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:24 AM

545 posts, read 395,992 times
Sounds like with your outside interests Denver would be great. But does your job offers pay the same for both or would you make more going to higher cost Denver?

Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

You may have your own favorite cost of living comparison calculator and/or want to look at several. This particular one says the average apartment rental in Denver is $1306 vs. $862 for Charlotte. Look at home price comparisons too.

This particular software program calculates Denver as being about 14% more expensive in general.

So I would say depending on how important money, cost of living are to you, and savings goals are to you, I'd be sure to factor that in.

We love Denver (used to live there in the 80s when if was much more affordable -- similar to other Midwest decent sized cities in the 80s.) This is just us, but despite a great climate, great mountain views, and some access on weekends to mountains (pretty cool -- but even that isn't what it was with traffic now -- some limitation to work around that), housing costs are a big deal for us, making other places more attractive. That's not everybody though. We'd have to buy to move back vs. people already living in Denver sitting on home equity in a place they may have bought years ago when the real estate market wasn't so inflated compared to so many other similar sized cities.

It's not like there is a 50% difference in cost of living. But 14% is 14% and housing is the big difference and where you might need to compromise some in Denver.

You said lifestyle perspective though. If you like mountain biking, biking in general, hiking, walking, skiing, Denver is pretty great with its' bike paths and with some PTO and some weekends off the Colorado mountains not that far from Denver (two hours really to get somewhere really nice) are pretty tempting. And it's big enough to have nice restaurants and cultural amenities. Both of your choices would be good with that.

Last edited by Kathy884; 08-05-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 09:40 AM

35 posts, read 38,722 times
Well said Kathy - appreciate the response. I will mention that the Denver role has a base salary 20% higher than Charlotte, and offers a whopping 30 paid vacations days vs. the measly 10 in Charlotte.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:21 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holographic77 View Post
Well said Kathy - appreciate the response. I will mention that the Denver role has a base salary 20% higher than Charlotte, and offers a whopping 30 paid vacations days vs. the measly 10 in Charlotte.
That's huge and frankly would make this an easy choice for me. 30 vacation days equals lots of 3-4 day weekends in the mountains.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:26 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,490,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
That's huge and frankly would make this an easy choice for me.
Agree, all things equal, that's a really tough decision, but with the extra vacation/pay, I'd chose Denver.

Some big differences other than humidity is that you will rarely if ever see snow in Charlotte. In Denver you'll see plenty of snow! Charlotte does offer a relatively short ride to the ocean and some nice lakes nearby if that's your thing.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:10 AM

126 posts, read 145,672 times
I lived in NC for 5 years and a big pro for Charlotte is the location. You can spend weekends in the mountains, the beach or any number of great cities: Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta.... In Denver the only car trip location for a weekend away is the mountains. There is literally no where else to go (unless Albuquerque is your thing). The city's isolation is my biggest complaint about Denver.

Also, if you have family in MD think carefully about being so far from them. In Charlotte, getting home for holidays/special occasions would be a much quicker affair. Family is why I returned to Denver. I thought I was okay living away from them. Then I had kids and I couldn't get back fast enough.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondmoray View Post
I lived in NC for 5 years and a big pro for Charlotte is the location. You can spend weekends in the mountains, the beach or any number of great cities: Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta.... In Denver the only car trip location for a weekend away is the mountains. There is literally no where else to go (unless Albuquerque is your thing). The city's isolation is my biggest complaint about Denver.

Also, if you have family in MD think carefully about being so far from them. In Charlotte, getting home for holidays/special occasions would be a much quicker affair. Family is why I returned to Denver. I thought I was okay living away from them. Then I had kids and I couldn't get back fast enough.
I love Denver but I also really liked NC (have some family there). It is true that Denver is very isolated. With the exception of a 6 hour car trip to Mt Rushmore, there's not much to see in an easy day's drive. In NC being on the eastern coast you have many more possibilities. My family will do trips to DC or even New York City.When they did Disney they saved a bunch by driving to Orlando, something you'd never do from Denver. Same with major cruises that leave from Florida. I love no humidity which is a huge sell for Denver for me, but I can see the positives of Charlotte as well.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,663 times
I've never been to Charlotte but live in Denver. The dating scene out here is not for me, Charlotte could be worse though- IDK

Old 08-06-2017, 05:45 AM

35 posts, read 38,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I've never been to Charlotte but live in Denver. The dating scene out here is not for me, Charlotte could be worse though- IDK
How so?

Old 08-06-2017, 07:22 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I love Denver but I also really liked NC (have some family there). It is true that Denver is very isolated. With the exception of a 6 hour car trip to Mt Rushmore, there's not much to see in an easy day's drive. In NC being on the eastern coast you have many more possibilities. My family will do trips to DC or even New York City.When they did Disney they saved a bunch by driving to Orlando, something you'd never do from Denver. Same with major cruises that leave from Florida. I love no humidity which is a huge sell for Denver for me, but I can see the positives of Charlotte as well.
While I would agree that there are not major cities within a day's drive (Cheyenne, Salt Lake, Rapid City, and Kansas City are about it), if you are using Mount Rushmore as the benchmark of things to see, this statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Things within a day's drive of Denver that are on par with Mount Rushmore:

Rocky Mountain National Park
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Telluride
Crested Butted
Aspen
Maroon Bells
Steamboat Springs
Pawnee National Grasslands
Mesa Verde National Park
Arches National Park
Canyonlands National Park
Ouray
Brown's Canyon National Monument
Colorado National Monument
Canyons of the Ancients National Monument
Chimney Rock National Monument
Dinosaur National Monument
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
Hovenweep National Monument
Yucca House National Monument
Grand Teton National Park
Yellowstone National Park
Wheeler Geologic Area

Plus many, many, more that I'm leaving off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver