Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 07:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

^^True, and don't forget Omaha. ~500 miles, college baseball world series, great zoo, other attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
While I would agree that there are not major cities within a day's drive (Cheyenne, Salt Lake, Rapid City, and Kansas City are about it), if you are using Mount Rushmore as the benchmark of things to see, this statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:17 AM

556 posts, read 762,944 times
I had a similar decision about two years ago between Denver and Charlotte. My job was letting me relocate and those were my final two options. I had spent more time in Denver so I took a week to explore Charlotte. Charlotte is really pretty and seems like a nice place to live as well as being SUPER cheap. But the things that I didn't care for were that summer humidity, the amount of bugs, and that Bible belt feel to it (I'm not particularly religious but a lot seemed to revolve around church life there).

The last bit that helped make my decision was while I was out there I went to a Charlotte reddit meetup and talked to locals and recent transplants. They all had really nice things to say about Charlotte and all were really pleased there. However, when I told them my choice was between Charlotte and Denver the first response was "Well, I've been here for years and Charlotte is a great place to live, but I'd pick Denver in a heartbeat", to which about 10 other people instantly agreed.

With the added pay and vacation days, Denver seems like a no brainer to me. Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-06-2017, 09:40 AM

242 posts, read 251,132 times
Quote:
While I would agree that there are not major cities within a day's drive (Cheyenne, Salt Lake, Rapid City, and Kansas City are about it), if you are using Mount Rushmore as the benchmark of things to see, this statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Things within a day's drive of Denver that are on par with Mount Rushmore:

Rocky Mountain National Park
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Telluride
Crested Butted
Aspen
Maroon Bells
Steamboat Springs
Pawnee National Grasslands
Mesa Verde National Park
Arches National Park
Canyonlands National Park
Ouray
Brown's Canyon National Monument
Colorado National Monument
Canyons of the Ancients National Monument
Chimney Rock National Monument
Dinosaur National Monument
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
Hovenweep National Monument
Yucca House National Monument
Grand Teton National Park
Yellowstone National Park
Wheeler Geologic Area

Plus many, many, more that I'm leaving off.
I grew up in the Black Hills and graduated at Mt Rushmore. There's so many amazing things in the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore isn't near the top of the list to see! Just irks me when people act like Mt Rushmore stands alone in the middle of corn field and it's the only thing to see. Carry on! Haha

I can't see how people get bored in Colorado, there's so much to see. The other day I just went for a drive and ended up walking around Leadville and and stopped at a random lake outside of town and hiked for 3 hours. I had a great time.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
If on the fence, I'd choose Denver simply due to the difference in the offers. Thirty paid vacation days would make it easy to head back to the coast for frequent visits.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:54 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
I grew up in the Black Hills and graduated at Mt Rushmore. There's so many amazing things in the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore isn't near the top of the list to see! Just irks me when people act like Mt Rushmore stands alone in the middle of corn field and it's the only thing to see. Carry on! Haha

I can't see how people get bored in Colorado, there's so much to see. The other day I just went for a drive and ended up walking around Leadville and and stopped at a random lake outside of town and hiked for 3 hours. I had a great time.
I used to do some work in Deadwood and drove around the area quite a bit. It is gorgeous.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times
Quote:

Things within a day's drive of Denver that are on par with Mount Rushmore:

Rocky Mountain National Park
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Telluride
Crested Butted
Aspen
Maroon Bells
Steamboat Springs
Pawnee National Grasslands
Mesa Verde National Park
Arches National Park
Canyonlands National Park
Ouray
Brown's Canyon National Monument
Colorado National Monument
Canyons of the Ancients National Monument
Chimney Rock National Monument
Dinosaur National Monument
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
Hovenweep National Monument
Yucca House National Monument
Grand Teton National Park
Yellowstone National Park
Wheeler Geologic Area

Plus many, many, more that I'm leaving off.
Using Mt Rushmore was not a good example as I meant being close to popular destinations. Your list is mostly national parks and monuments, very different from major cities and their attractions.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:51 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Using Mt Rushmore was not a good example as I meant being close to popular destinations. Your list is mostly national parks and monuments, very different from major cities and their attractions.
Mount Rushmore is a National Memorial, thus the list. It was meant to show that there are plenty of popular destinations within a day of Denver. As I mention, what we lack in proximity to cities, we make up for in proximity to other amazing places. If you like being close to other big cities, Denver is definitely not like the East Coast. If you are wanting to trade 14,000,000 people for 14,000 foot peaks, Denver has a lot to offer.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,095 times
SKYDOG77 ... Nice List

Old 08-06-2017, 04:51 PM

35 posts, read 38,688 times
Quote:
If you are wanting to trade 14,000,000 people for 14,000 foot peaks, Denver has a lot to offer.
Great list, and well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver