Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 05:44 PM

373 posts, read 348,849 times

Advertisements

I'm aware of the outrageous COL and traffic and skyrocketing rental prices . Is there somewhere I can afford to live on around 20 an hour until my second income can help ?
Also needs to be a easy commute to the airport .

Is aurora a affordable area?

How bad is the traffic ? From
What I gathered Friday Saturday Sunday you basically can't get to any of the trails or snowboarding unless you want to sit in traffic 3 hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 06:13 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
Aurora is probably the most affordable area within the Denver Metro. Some parts can be a bit sketchy but I don't think its all that bad.. I'm sure you can manage on 20/hour if your willing to live like someone living on 20/hour

Aurora is an easy commute to the airport which is nice for you.

Traffic is about the same as every other large city i have been to. Everything is relative, people here are complaining of the traffic compared to 10 years ago before the population multiplied exponentially. With that said, it can suck but its not like 100% gridlock all day long or anything. I commute about 15 miles in the southern part of the city and it takes about 10-15 minutes in traffic.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Aurora is probably the most affordable area within the Denver Metro. Some parts can be a bit sketchy but I don't think its all that bad.. I'm sure you can manage on 20/hour if your willing to live like someone living on 20/hour

Aurora is an easy commute to the airport which is nice for you.

Traffic is about the same as every other large city i have been to. Everything is relative, people here are complaining of the traffic compared to 10 years ago before the population multiplied exponentially. With that said, it can suck but its not like 100% gridlock all day long or anything. I commute about 15 miles in the southern part of the city and it takes about 10-15 minutes in traffic.
I would have the oppportunity to work extra shifts and overtime plus once the person moving with me finds a job . What exactly does that mean ? Just work pay bills and come home ? I would like to enjoy the Colorado outdoors and the bar/ food life every now and then

Old 08-30-2017, 10:58 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
start doing some math. $20 per hour times 40 hours each week times 4 weeks in a month is $3,200. You earn $3,200 each month, not bad! Now, take out taxes: $2,720. You’re still in pretty good shape! Now, let’s subtract gas, tolls, ? and lunch: $2,450. A small apt $ in a non roach tacky run down complex.
Dunkirk Apartments are ok but check reviews
19300 East 57th Avenue, Aurora CO 80019. One bed one bath about $900 to start it will go up after you sign the lease. It will be getting closer to $1000 in the second year.
YOU are still ok!

Now you have $ 1550 .subtract car payment, car insurance , car repairs,,renters insurance , utilities. Credit card payments,and benefits,?

You will find any excuse to stay home, except for a trip to the mountains once a month and that's okay. !Going out is for the birds, and a top priority for you is escaping the world and retreating to your home. Go out for what?
Sorry just being realistic .

Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
So your second income is another person? Is this a romantic partner so a 1 bedroom apartment works? Or are you talking about a 2 bedroom? Are you supporting this person until they find a job? What are their career prospects?

I think that you'd have a tough time supporting two people on $20 per hour, and no, you wouldn't really have a lot of money for recreational activities including bars and restaurants.

Aside from Aurora, if you are open to a share situation, you can find a room for rent in Green Valley Ranch, which is also a good location for commuting to the airport.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:37 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
The reality is that there are a lot of $20 and hour and less jobs along Colorado's Front Range area and people manage to live on it. How you do that means different things to different people. Room mates, smaller living quarters, less desirable areas, older cars, there are ways to get it done. Will you be going out to eat multiple times a week and then hitting the ski slopes on the weekend, no. Can you get out to do different things most weekends, probably. There are still a lot of low and no cost opportunities for entertainment around here and when you want to do a big ticket item, then you save for it.

Especially if you need to be near the airport, you can look at some of the less popular housing areas that are lower in price.

How bad is traffic, depends on where and when and what your previous experience with bad traffic is.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:34 PM

Thank you for the input guys I'll keep all
This in mind when doing further research

Old 08-31-2017, 10:01 AM

49 posts, read 47,420 times
I really like Aurora. It has diversity in people and in housing. I know affordable is a relative term, but you get much more for your money in Aurora than elsewhere near/in Denver. And it is right next to the airport.
Good luck - Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver