Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:57 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times

Advertisements

Boulder is more expensive because they have a very anti-growth mindset that has severely limited housing, thus running of the cost of inventory while continually attracting more tech based jobs that pay higher than average wages. Combine that with their location next to the mountains and you have a recipe for expensive.

Cos is less expensive than Denver for housing and rents. There also is a significant difference in job availability between the Denver metro at 2.8 million and the Cos metro as 700k. Yes, Cos tends to lean a bit more conservative than Denver and certainly than Boulder. However, Cos tends to be less conservative than Denver is liberal, but that is very dependent upon the neighborhood you land in.

Gay scene in Denver should be improved because of the sheer population figures, however, once you get out of the Denver metro, population density drops like a rock, unlike Florida. FWIW, the entire Denver metro has less population density than Pinellas County.

Cos is about double the size of St Pete population wise while the county is less populated. The city proper is 466k while the county is around 700k. We have gay people here, but I wouldn't say we have a scene. However, becaus eof its location to the mountains, Cos tends to look more like Boulder than Denver. Denver is actually on the plains with distant views of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,298,854 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 PM

745 posts, read 1,583,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Boulder is more expensive because they have a very anti-growth mindset that has severely limited housing, thus running of the cost of inventory while continually attracting more tech based jobs that pay higher than average wages. Combine that with their location next to the mountains and you have a recipe for expensive.

Cos is less expensive than Denver for housing and rents. There also is a significant difference in job availability between the Denver metro at 2.8 million and the Cos metro as 700k. Yes, Cos tends to lean a bit more conservative than Denver and certainly than Boulder. However, Cos tends to be less conservative than Denver is liberal, but that is very dependent upon the neighborhood you land in.

Gay scene in Denver should be improved because of the sheer population figures, however, once you get out of the Denver metro, population density drops like a rock, unlike Florida. FWIW, the entire Denver metro has less population density than Pinellas County.

Cos is about double the size of St Pete population wise while the county is less populated. The city proper is 466k while the county is around 700k. We have gay people here, but I wouldn't say we have a scene. However, becaus eof its location to the mountains, Cos tends to look more like Boulder than Denver. Denver is actually on the plains with distant views of the mountains.
Thanks for the thought out post. Appreciate it. I remember having Pikes Peak as our horizon view back in 8th grade, lol.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 PM

401 posts, read 487,408 times
October is a great month to visit, it's a little cooler and you may catch a snow fall if you are lucky (yes it can snow that early sometimes but pretty much melts the next day). November is a snowier month and the weather turns colder but I would say it is still an ok time to visit.

Boulders mountain access helps keep prices higher. It is also stocked with hiking trails. Anything surrounding Boulder like Superior, Louisville, Lafayette has seen a pretty good hike in prices too over the past 5 years.

Co Springs is cheaper although prices have been rising there too and you are right less liberal although I have heard it depends on what area of Colorado Springs you live in as to whether this rings true or not these days.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:17 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Normally I advise people towards CO Springs, but in your case Denver might be a better cultural fit for not that much more cost. If you wanted to buy a home, it'd be different. If Denver seems to big or expensive, I'd say check out Ft. Collins over the Springs as there's more of a bar scene there. I'd stack that as a place to go see when you visit out here. Boulder doesn't have room for more people.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:59 AM

49 posts, read 47,408 times
Colorado Springs is one of the most conservative cities in the US.
Have you thought about renting a room on airbnb or something until you get a job so you don't burn thru all your $?
Good luck - Jane

Old 08-31-2017, 01:29 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeh777 View Post
Colorado Springs is one of the most conservative cities in the US.
Have you thought about renting a room on airbnb or something until you get a job so you don't burn thru all your $?
Good luck - Jane
El Paso county went 56% for Trump, 33% for Clinton. Certainly conservative, but hardly one of the most conservative places in the country.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:43 PM

From what I recall, CoS is where those big churches are, right?

Jane - I'll have to look into that. I get notifications of discounts. But it's not like I'm gonna not look for a job right away. Maybe take a week off max. Then again, I'm only taking a car full, so I won't have much stuff.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:05 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
From what I recall, CoS is where those big churches are, right?

Jane - I'll have to look into that. I get notifications of discounts. But it's not like I'm gonna not look for a job right away. Maybe take a week off max. Then again, I'm only taking a car full, so I won't have much stuff.
There is at least one megachurch in COLO SPGS and a host of organizations are HQd there. The city is fairly consistent at voting 60% GOP in most elections, but that is slowly changing. There's not a huge bar scene in COLO SPGS but there is some. I'd stick to Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:23 PM

What are the bad areas of Denver I need to avoid? Or is the worst of Denver nothing compared to stuff in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver