Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,862 times

Advertisements

Anyone recently lived in both Denver and Dallas and can comment on how traffic compares in the two cities? Or frankly any other comparisons they'd like to make that aren't obvious (e.g. weather, scenery being obvious)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Overall traffic in Denver isn't as bad as Dallas, but the city has some corridors that can be pretty rough. Denver isn't adding Lexus Lanes to freeways with the same zeal that DFW is (yet). Traffic into and out of the mountains and between Fort Collins and Colorado Springs causes headaches during predictable timeframes, too.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 PM

264 posts, read 701,746 times
Worked in Dallas lived in West Plano. At least 45 minutes to get home in the afternoon. That was a 12 mile drive. Here I live .9 miles from my work. Takes me longer to walk to my car then it does to drive home. Love it. The few times we have ventured into Denver proper, traffic on 25 has been a mess, and that was on weekends. There are more highways in Dallas and the population is larger, obviously, but listening to the traffic reports during the morning it seems Denver has its share of congestion.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:50 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,023 times
I lived in Dallas 15+ years and went there regularly most of my life until then. The traffic in Denver really doesn't compare. There aren't the number of massive freeways like around the DFW area in Denver. Yes, I-25, I-70, and to some extent C470 have traffic, but it's not really around the clock like it seems to be in Dallas. Rush hour traffic clears up here fairly early compared to Dallas. I've been on the freeways in Dallas near midnight with a ridiculous amount of traffic. I will say that Dallas has better side roads for maneuvering around freeway traffic and getting across town vs. getting on freeways. The more major side roads here are pretty curvy and not easy straight shots across areas of town for the most part. Of course, the Denver metro population is less than half of that of DFW, so that is going to figure into quite a bit of comparisons between the two areas.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:49 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverchris View Post
Worked in Dallas lived in West Plano. At least 45 minutes to get home in the afternoon. That was a 12 mile drive. Here I live .9 miles from my work. Takes me longer to walk to my car then it does to drive home. Love it. The few times we have ventured into Denver proper, traffic on 25 has been a mess, and that was on weekends. There are more highways in Dallas and the population is larger, obviously, but listening to the traffic reports during the morning it seems Denver has its share of congestion.
Well, unless you also lived .9 miles from your job in Dallas and it took 45 minutes to get home, not exactly a relevant comparison! lol!

I'm not going to claim that I know traffic in Dallas to compare, but I can say that traffic in Denver has gotten much worse in the 10 years I've lived here. That's why people on this forum consistently recommend that people live near to where they work.

I used to live in Lowry in Denver, and worked in Centennial, near Parker and Arapahoe. It was 13 miles and took about 45 during rush hour, assuming no accidents or weather issues. In bad weather, it took as long as 2 hours.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:17 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Used to live in Denver. Have lived in DFW for 12 years. Was on vacation in Denver last year. Traffic in Denver was fabulous compared to DFW. It was so nice to be in Denver. Made me want to move back...

Old 09-10-2017, 02:48 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Used to live in Denver. Have lived in DFW for 12 years. Was on vacation in Denver last year. Traffic in Denver was fabulous compared to DFW. It was so nice to be in Denver. Made me want to move back...
Wife and I went to the Texas State Fair in Dallas a couple of years back and were blown away by the insane speeds and reckless habits of a number of drivers there. We stay about midway between Dallas and Fort Worth and saw multiple wrecks every day on the highways out there. It was nuts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:35 PM

24 posts, read 31,786 times
You can review the INRIX data, which is extremely reliable and unbiased:

INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard

According to it, Dallas residents spend about 65% more time per year in congestion than Denver residents do. Overall, Denver has much lighter traffic than Dallas.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Neither city will win awards for their mass transit, but RTD > DART.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM

I know the OP wanted comparisons other than weather, but I'm gonna go ahead and give a weather comparison to highlight just how much better summers are here than in Dallas. I'm doing so, in part, because the OP has a thread in the Dallas forum where he's lamenting the heat of a Dallas summer.

Number of 100 degree days from June 2011 - September 2017
Denver - 19 (13 in 2012)
Dallas - 191 (71 in 2011)

Denver averages 1-2 100 degree days per year. Dallas averages around 18.

Conversely, Dallas rarely ever has below-zero temps (last time was 1989 IIRC). Denver has a handful of days where the overnight low is below zero, but a daytime high below zero is pretty rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver