Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a Lincoln MKZ and the recommended fuel is Regular Unleaded. Around the rest of the country, that's 87 octane, but as most of you know, it's 85 octane in most of Colorado. Anyone here drive a 'luxury-brand' car and use 85 octane fuel without any issues? Or is it better to play it safe and use 87 octane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 09:13 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
I live in Arizona and use 87-octane regular. In Utah, Idaho and Nevada, stations were selling 85-octane as regular gas. This forced me to pay more for midgrade 87-octane. Is this the latest petroleum-industry scam to get more of our money? Will my car run okay on this bogus 85-octane regular?

A:
Octane is the ability of a fuel to resist knock, and high-compression engines tend to knock more. The obverse of that is that lower-compression engines can run on lower-octane gas. Air is thinner the higher above sea level you go. Less air going into the cylinders means less pressure at top dead center when things go bang. It's a lot like lowering the compression ratio in the engine, reducing the need for high octane. Cars will run just fine on lower-octane fuel when they're well above sea level--and all of those states are. Hopefully, by the time you get back down to denser air, you've burned off most of the low-octane stuff, and can refill the tank with higher-grade fuel.
30 Car Mysteries Solved: Low Octane Fuel at High Altitudes

Old 12-31-2017, 09:24 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Quote:
Squeezed
Q:
I live in Arizona and use 87-octane regular. In Utah, Idaho and Nevada, stations were selling 85-octane as regular gas. This forced me to pay more for midgrade 87-octane. Is this the latest petroleum-industry scam to get more of our money? Will my car run okay on this bogus 85-octane regular?

A:
Octane is the ability of a fuel to resist knock, and high-compression engines tend to knock more. The obverse of that is that lower-compression engines can run on lower-octane gas. Air is thinner the higher above sea level you go. Less air going into the cylinders means less pressure at top dead center when things go bang. It's a lot like lowering the compression ratio in the engine, reducing the need for high octane. Cars will run just fine on lower-octane fuel when they're well above sea level--and all of those states are. Hopefully, by the time you get back down to denser air, you've burned off most of the low-octane stuff, and can refill the tank with higher-grade fuel.
Thank you!

Old 12-31-2017, 10:24 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Also appreciate the link/answer. I was wondering but hadn't gotten around to asking about it...

Old 01-02-2018, 09:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I recently purchased a Lincoln MKZ and the recommended fuel is Regular Unleaded. Around the rest of the country, that's 87 octane, but as most of you know, it's 85 octane in most of Colorado. Anyone here drive a 'luxury-brand' car and use 85 octane fuel without any issues? Or is it better to play it safe and use 87 octane?
Much as I hate to pay the extra whatever for the 87 octane, that's what I've done since I've lived here.
I know people say it doesn't matter, but that hasn't been my experience.
I tried the 85 in my 4-cyl PT Cruiser once and it knocked like crazy.

I drive an 8-cyl now and only ever use the recommended 87 octane.
Yes, it pains me to spend more, but I live with it.

P.S. Congrats on your new car! Love that model.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:27 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Much as I hate to pay the extra whatever for the 87 octane, that's what I've done since I've lived here.
I know people say it doesn't matter, but that hasn't been my experience.
I tried the 85 in my 4-cyl PT Cruiser once and it knocked like crazy.

I drive an 8-cyl now and only ever use the recommended 87 octane.
Yes, it pains me to spend more, but I live with it.

P.S. Congrats on your new car! Love that model.

The good news is you’ll know right away. I have an 8 cylinder Toyota that calls for 87. I run 85 with zero knocking issues.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:01 PM

556 posts, read 763,346 times
And I was sitting here like an idiot just paying for 87 octane because that's what was recommended in the manual for my 4 cylinder Subaru Legacy. Now I know. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:16 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
I have a new Hyundai Veloster and it came with this ;" Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having a pump octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. " I use 85 reg unleaded and it works just fine.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
And I was sitting here like an idiot just paying for 87 octane because that's what was recommended in the manual for my 4 cylinder Subaru Legacy. Now I know. Thanks!
Only a few cars absolutely require anything higher than 87, 85 way up here. Most that recommend higher octane have adjustable timing and fuel control, so that you get slightly lower power and economy with regular but can use it just fine. I had a Volvo that absolutely required 91, no substitutions allowed. My Hondas have all been flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver