Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,945 times

Advertisements

Hi! We will be moving to the Denver area in June. I am in the major research frenzy right now of schools, neighborhoods and the like. Our daughter is 8 years old and has been on swim team in our neighborhood here in California for 3 years. We really enjoy it both as a great athletic activity for her, as well as the social aspect.

Can anyone help me understand whether most elementary aged kids in Denver do "year round" vs "summer league"? We want to be in a neighborhood where summer league would hopefully be walkable, but I can't tell if the neighborhood swim clubs are where summer leagues are housed? Or do both year round and summer leagues house out of the various rec centers and/or high school facilities?

Any guidance on identifying the swim teams that are very active would be appreciated. While being on a top performing swim team is always fun, that is not crucial. It is more important to us to have a team that is welcoming, with a good coach, good team spirit, fun social activities, etc. We are looking throughout South Denver (Centennial, Littleton), Western/Foothills area (Ken Caryl through Golden), and Northwest (Arvada, Broomfield, Superior, Louisville). We work from home, so location and commute are quite flexible for us, and are looking at houses up to around $800K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Many neighborhoods in the suburbs have summer swim teams at the neighborhood association pool.

I know a few people who coach recreational teams through CARA in Centennial/Southeast Aurora.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:18 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
In the city I know Skyline, Eastmoor, Virginia Vale and Crestmoor all have summer club teams.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
In the Centennial/Lone Tree/Littleton/Aurora, you'll find a variety of year-round and summer league teams. In year-round, many kids participate in the Aquawolves, which practices at Cherry Creek High School; the Stingrays, which practices at Colorado Athletic Club; and ACES, which practices at several different locations based on the level of the swimmer. There are others, but those are the three that come immediately to mind. For summer leagues, you'll find that many neighborhoods sponsor teams. My own neighborhood has three of them! There is also South Suburban Parks & Recreation (SSPRD), which sponsors the Wahoos. They practice at the Cook Creek Pool in Lone Tree and their registration is open to all.

For reference, here are links to the Mountain-Hi Swim League and the Rocky Mountain Swim League, where you can find a list of summer teams available in this area.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In the Centennial/Lone Tree/Littleton/Aurora, you'll find a variety of year-round and summer league teams. In year-round, many kids participate in the Aquawolves, which practices at Cherry Creek High School; the Stingrays, which practices at Colorado Athletic Club; and ACES, which practices at several different locations based on the level of the swimmer. There are others, but those are the three that come immediately to mind. For summer leagues, you'll find that many neighborhoods sponsor teams. My own neighborhood has three of them! There is also South Suburban Parks & Rec, which sponsors the Wahoos. They practice at the SSPRD facility called the Cook Creek Pool in Lone Tree and their registration is open to all.

For reference, here are links to the Mountain-Hi Swim League and the Rocky Mountain Swim League, where you can find a list of summer teams available in this area.
Can’t believe Aquawolves is still around!!! I swam on that team with the founding coaches in the early 90s.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Can’t believe Aquawolves is still around!!! I swam on that team with the founding coaches in the early 90s.
I had swimmers at Creek, and the Aquawolves practiced after the Cherry Creek teams were done for the day. Creek has a new pool, and it's great for the swimmers, although the spectator seating kind of sucks.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I had swimmers at Creek, and the Aquawolves practiced after the Cherry Creek teams were done for the day. Creek has a new pool, and it's great for the swimmers, although the spectator seating kind of sucks.
Yep. We practiced at Creek. It was a nice pool 25 years ago too.....Much nicer than the city pool my high school used anyway. I’m sure it was due for an update though.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yep. We practiced at Creek. It was a nice pool 25 years ago too.....Much nicer than the city pool my high school used anyway. I’m sure it was due for an update though.
As high school pools go, the one I like the best on this end of town is Smoky Hill.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 AM

401 posts, read 487,024 times
On the North side you will find Louisville Dolphins and Lafayette Seals to be good swim teams. Flatiron Swimming has a successful team too. Swim teams are actually quite popular here in Colorado and most towns/cities have one either through their rec center or as a separate group.

Broomfield is a very family friendly town, you could get a nice house for your price range there and schools are rated well.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:44 AM

I also wanted to mention that South Suburban Parks and Recreation (SSPRD) also offers year-round swimming for the under-15 set who are not interested in the highly-competitive environment of other year-round teams. And it's pretty affordable, too! They meet at the Lone Tree Rec Center on Monday and Wednesday and swim for 90 minutes or so. There is also a Saturday morning session at a different rec center on the south end of town. The program is low-key, registration is month-to-month, and it's a great way for kids to get regular pool time with the flexibility to take time off for other sports and activities if desired. I imagine that other rec centers around the Denver metro have similar programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver